Star Wars Rogue One new ships!

I don't like the TIE design because it just looks like a lazy kitbashed TIE Interceptor and something that would come post-ROTJ, not pre-ANH. For a pre-ANH vehicle something more like a hybrid of the V-Wing and the ETA-2 would make more sense.

I actually like the U-Wing design if for no other reason that that it's slightly different. Yes, it's kind of a half-@$$ed mishmash of an X-wing, a snowspeeder and a Falcon, but it's better than just tweaking the old X-Wing and TIE designs and calling them "visionary." It's still a far cry from the creativity George gave us with the A-Wing, the B-Wing, the Naboo N-1, and the Jedi starfighters.

Not sure that we need new / transitional ships for Rogue One. The movie should only be a few weeks prior to ANH in the timeline.

Agreed. It irks me that this is coming off as a gratuitous marketing type of thing, as opposed to something rooted in evolutionary logic.

Although...

With the TIE, I suppose one could make the assumption that this "Striker" was a necessary beta step after ETA's were deemed to be too expensive for high-volume production. And then the TIE/LE ends up being the design most efficient, and thus the one we see exclusively in ANH.

I'm going to withhold judgment of the Rebel craft until we see exactly what's going on there, but if it is a Y/X-Wing hack job whose sole purpose is to deliver proton torpedoes, I can get behind that. Making use of existing resources only makes sense for a budding rebellion strapped for cash, eh.

Maybe in Disney's Super-Special Edition of ANH, we'll see these craft CGI'd in. ;-)

this could be the ship your looking for
Star_wars_Rogue_One.jpg
oops didn't spot the landing
Rogue-One-A-Star-Wars-Story-Pic-8.jpg
Looks like a variant of the "u" wing thingy, but does it have the long s foils !!!!

I DEF see a RMQ influence from one of his early ESB sketches. But it also looks like a heavy modified Y-Wing. I like it. :)

this could be the ship your looking for
View attachment 626351
oops didn't spot the landing
View attachment 626352
Looks like a variant of the "u" wing thingy, but does it have the long s foils !!!!

This is cool. Looks like maybe it's the film maker's response to the First Order Lander from TFA. Yes, I realize RO is meant to happen decades before TFA, but the idea of the Rebels having a troop lander makes good sense and I like the design.

The TIE Striker... I'll have to see it in action. I've gotten to the point that I feel all the TIE variations are boring, especially the kooky EU ones. The few on-screen ones seem legit, but all the rest are trying too hard to be different and original but with out any genuine originality. It' been suggested that the new onwe from RO is supposed to be a atmospheric fighter, and I guess I could buy that. But still, we've seen that regular TIE ships have no problem with atmosphere, so I'm not sure I see the need for these guys.

--Alex

Not sure that we need new / transitional ships for Rogue One. The movie should only be a few weeks prior to ANH in the timeline.

I guess my point is that if we're going to see a TIE variant that it should look more pre-ANH rather than post-ROTJ. I go back to the original Joe Johnston sketches of Darth Vader's TIE design where it's described as "next year's model." If Vader's TIE was the most advanced top of the line design at the time of ANH, I'd want any design preceding it to reflect that.

I guess my point is that if we're going to see a TIE variant that it should look more pre-ANH rather than post-ROTJ. I go back to the original Joe Johnston sketches of Darth Vader's TIE design where it's described as "next year's model." If Vader's TIE was the most advanced top of the line design at the time of ANH, I'd want any design preceding it to reflect that.

...but going by the Prequels......Jedi Starfighters in ROtS,....the TIE Striker looks like a natural progression

......& also connects to the U-Wing

Genius

J

...but going by the Prequels......Jedi Starfighters in ROtS,....the TIE Striker looks like a natural progression

......& also connects to the U-Wing

Genius

J

Eh, I guess. The solar panels, however, just strike me as too TIE Interceptor-ish. I do like that the U-Wing is a larger troop transport. Sort of an X-Wing combined with a Republic gunship. I wouldn't say "genius" but... it'll do. ;)

I'm not keen on either of them.....they just feel like half-hearted aesthetic pastiches of elements the audience will be familiar with, but mashed up to sell new merch.....I'm not usually a hater, but this feels lazy imho

That rebel fighter looks like someone decided to turn a snow speeder into a ship by gluing a few extra parts to it. They both look like toys that Disney would okay just to have more stuff on the shelf to sell.

One of the problems I had with TFA was that it did not continue the legacy of multiple new ships to drool over , each of the other 6 satisfied that itch.
I think any new fighters are very welcome , and the rebel fighter I like as plenty of nooks and crannies to dirty down, also both ships have a flat profile which I would like to think is a design philosophy ,hopefully there is an environmental reason.

That rebel fighter looks like someone decided to turn a snow speeder into a ship by gluing a few extra parts to it. They both look like toys that Disney would okay just to have more stuff on the shelf to sell.

.....is that something to complain about?.....that is the history of Star Wars,......every sequel/prequel pushes new craft for kiddies to desire...(& big kiddies like us)......TFA really was the only show that relaxed on that push

J

I'm all for new stuff, in the right context. If the new TIEs are on some other planet, I guess that's OK. If they're flying around defending the Death Star, that's completely wrong. Likewise, Death Troopers, or whatever we're calling them, shouldn't be on the Death Star but I'm OK with them elsewhere in the SW universe. This movie should really be a nearly 100% throwback to the original 1977 set of ships and costumes, IMO.

The concept of the U-wing reminds me of some of the descriptions from the X-wing series of novels when they talk about "Uglies". Hybrid ships built from some of the best or worst characteristics of two different designs.

If that is what they are going for I am kind of excited for it.

And it would make some sense for the fledgling Rebellion.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'm all for new stuff, in the right context. If the new TIEs are on some other planet, I guess that's OK. If they're flying around defending the Death Star, that's completely wrong. Likewise, Death Troopers, or whatever we're calling them, shouldn't be on the Death Star but I'm OK with them elsewhere in the SW universe. This movie should really be a nearly 100% throwback to the original 1977 set of ships and costumes, IMO.

My thoughts exactly. It's all about context.

I like to think that much forethought went into the Imperial designs of old; simple geometric shapes that made for quick and easy design/manufacturing in massive numbers. Though, conversely, I've always thought the X-Wing was too sophisticated to be had by an undermanned subversive group. Perhaps there's a cool backstory as to how they got that account from Incom.

I'm all for cool new ships (I was a bit disappointed by the TFA toy rollout, and truth be known, the thought of a new TIE leaves me drooling), but if it comes at the expense of logic, that's not good. As long as care is taken as to how to shoehorn these vehicles into the SW universe, I'll be happy.

I'm ok with the new TIE, but the U-Wing looks unbalanced. Those X-Wing engines don't fit the body, which looks more like the taxi in the Prequels. Nah, don't like it.

But I also agree that any new designs are unnecessary for the movie. They rather should have used the effort to make believable scenes with the Ep IV-vehicles (not like that stunt-falcon in Ep. VII), and perhaps invest some time to make Death Star construction scenes, which I would find totally amazing if done right...

I feel that I will stick to not accepting any of the new movies as being Star Wars. Only Ep. I-VI.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back