Star Lord helmet AND accessories!!! by Helagak!

You are correct, I used Netfabb to place the pieces together and there is an overlap. See below

View attachment 365214

I have noticed all the printed masks seem to have a pretty large gap where that cheek part meets up to the front. Could you possible make the adjustments I mentioned earlier in this thread where the V groove on the forehead is too narrow? I have only been trying to use sketchup for a day and am really struggling with being able to do anything since it doesn't even natively do stl files. Not sure how much easier netFabb is, but it looks better than what I was working with so I might give it a try when I get home from work.

Ok so I've read through this thread a few times now and maybe you guys can help me out.
Being a veteran to pepakura, I have already started on the card stock one, yet I know from experience that it won't ever come out as smooth as the 3d print ones. I tried 3dhubs.Com and the price to print one mask is more than what I could buy my own printer for. So what are my options here? Other than buying my own printer, of course. The pep one will do for now, but in future I'll want something nicer. I see a lot of c&d going out to the people mass producing SL masks too... ideas?

Ok so I've read through this thread a few times now and maybe you guys can help me out.
Being a veteran to pepakura, I have already started on the card stock one, yet I know from experience that it won't ever come out as smooth as the 3d print ones. I tried 3dhubs.Com and the price to print one mask is more than what I could buy my own printer for. So what are my options here? Other than buying my own printer, of course. The pep one will do for now, but in future I'll want something nicer. I see a lot of c&d going out to the people mass producing SL masks too... ideas?
Could you be more specific? Printers listed on 3DHubs in my area will print the mask for about $145 at a decent resolution. What are they charging you?

Could you be more specific? Printers listed on 3DHubs in my area will print the mask for about $145 at a decent resolution. What are they charging you?

Absolutely. The closer one says $509-$810 and the furthest (also the cheapest) is at $390. One of them in the middle wants $1200-2000. The furthest is at high res. The second is high as well but the last is medium. All of the others vary between this wildly. I'm considering broadening the search range and seeing about getting a cheaper result. I also have an idea for a possible exchange for some Star Lord props I'll be working on.

On a related note, what's the smallest necessary printing area to do these on? For example, is 4x4x4 too small?

Last edited:
Absolutely. The closer one says $509-$810 and the furthest (also the cheapest) is at $390. One in the middles wants $1200-2000. The firest is at high res. The second is high as well but the last is medium.
wow. That is...extremely, extremely high. Sorry to hear there are no reasonably priced printers in your area. However, there is a Project Run going on for those helmets on this forum. Check it out, pretty fair price. http://www.therpf.com/f75/star-lord-helmet-3d-print-collab-therocketeer-217297/

I have noticed all the printed masks seem to have a pretty large gap where that cheek part meets up to the front. Could you possible make the adjustments I mentioned earlier in this thread where the V groove on the forehead is too narrow?
I actually use Sketchup for the modelling, I only use Netfabb for basic resizing, rotating and positioning.
I'll give it a go when I get some free time.

Here's a look at what I did over lunch. I've only started on the left, and it's all done by eye so it'll be closer than the original was but not necessarily accurate.
The first shot has a rectangle in front aligned to the middle so you don't get confused with the unmodified side.
I want to clean up the lines and add more smaller polys instead of the tall ones.
Modified mask eyes.png

Here's a look at what I did over lunch. I've only started on the left, and it's all done by eye so it'll be closer than the original was but not necessarily accurate.
The first shot has a rectangle in front aligned to the middle so you don't get confused with the unmodified side.
I want to clean up the lines and add more smaller polys instead of the tall ones.
View attachment 366200

Wow, I couldn't even get the stl file to where I could do anything in sketchup. I read you usually have to run a few plugins to clean them up before you can do anything. I guess I need to watch some more videos and practice my sketchup up. I have only used it twice. That's so awesome of you to help clean it up.

My head size is 24'. I plan on using 3dhub. Any suggestions? Should I change the scale. And what material should I use PLA?

I already made a card stock version and I love it but the 3d prints look nice :)

So I'm looking at assembly of these 3d printed parts and I'm having a hard time figuring the fit out properly, particularly where the sides meet the front.

Is that how it's supposed to fit? With the mask overlapping and that sort of gap behind the right temple? Seems odd. :c

What's the best unfold to use if I'm going to be making the helmet out of cardstock and strengthening it with fibreglass resin? I'm reasonably new to this.

So I'm looking at assembly of these 3d printed parts and I'm having a hard time figuring the fit out properly, particularly where the sides meet the front.
Is that how it's supposed to fit? With the mask overlapping and that sort of gap behind the right temple? Seems odd. :c

There shouldn't be much of an overlap, the corners should just meet I think, here's how it looks when arranged in Netfabb.
Mask temple alignment.png

A thousand thanks to Helagak for some incredible models. Got the gun printed and smoothed out this weekend. Dumped them in a bath of Oomoo 25 yesterday. Should have some castings ready for paint this evening. Helmet should be done printing about the same time. Couldn't have done it without this thread. Thanks guys.
Photo Aug 23, 6 11 19 PM.jpgPhoto Aug 24, 5 24 56 PM.jpg

Here in argentina i managed to get an original Walkman Sony in pretty good conditions for less than US$100 (900 pesos Argentinos) and i am very happy with it

walkman-sony-antiguo-funciona-8519-MLA20005180542_112013-O.jpgwalkman-sony-antiguo-funciona-8520-MLA20005181029_112013-O.jpgwalkman-sony-antiguo-funciona-8597-MLA20005181087_112013-O.jpg

My next step will be working to print this amazing files.

Really Bob THANKS for all your hard work It's really amazing to see what you do and you share with us:D

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back