Fully 3D Printed Functional MK 42 !! :0

dude this is absolutly amazing , i so wish i had a 3d printer ,but no lol so gutted lol , im currently doing the build with jackie is rockins files and i was woundering if by anychance you could share how you conected the shin and boot and also how you made the boot movable im strugling on were to cut it and attach it for movabilllity :)

I'm inspired!

well i hold a degree in computer science and i'm pretty tech savvy when it comes to engineering stuff.. so i'm pretty sure i can do it :) i'll probably be making my own thread once i get it done and start working on the actual suit..

until then i shall be stalking your thread :) really like the work you're doing.

Oh sweet, well I will follow your thread if you put one up then! I want to learn more about the inner workings of printers, and you could also just use the greatly developed open source programs already out there for sizing, positioning, and slicing etc. Thanks man!

LOL
Loving the lipsum in the blueprints!

Which slicer have you been using? I can see a bit of a brim/raft in one of your pictures. Presumably you didn't have any problems with the piece coming off mid print. Looks like you're using quite a fine layer height as well, 0.1?

Here are a couple things I did from earlier on in my project. These were from a couple months ago, April or so.

Here I made a very large tracing with several pics of the suit, to create these blueprints. I used my Wacom digital pen tablet in PS6.
View attachment 200056

Here is my attempt to model the helmet, as so many have done already haha
This one is a first progress animation:
stage one of modeling mk 42 helmet - YouTube
If you want i have a helmet that a modlled a month ago its VERY accurate .. i can increase the polycount to make it printable !!
I also done a mark 42 handplate ready to print !!

WOW! 3D printed suit- That's my dream! I'm so impressed. Especially the video of the boot, I could never imaging something so rigid made into something so moveable. Since you have your own printer....
I have the movie model of the Iron Man helmet that was used for the suits in movies 1 and 2. Would you be interested in a trade of 3D model for a copy

Last edited:
If you want i have a helmet that a modlled a month ago its VERY accurate .. i can increase the polycount to make it printable !!
I also done a mark 42 handplate ready to print !!

Hi Omar, are you talking about a MK 42 helmut? I would like to see your stuff, definitely! I have modeled the forearm and hand but the hand I am planning on reworking some. My helmut will have a slight proportion difference compared to original models because my brain is so big but yea (jk- the electronics etc. inside), I would love to see it!

WOW! 3D printed suit- That's my dream! I'm so impressed. Especially the video of the boot, I could never imaging something so rigid made into something so moveable. Since you have your own printer....
I have the movie model of the Iron Man helmet that was used for the suits in movies 1 and 2. Would you be interested in a trade of 3D model for a copy

Hey thanks, I'm glad we share a common dream. Perhaps I will make it a reality within the next year. :) Its really more about the functionality and electronics that I'm excited about. I have a handful of people that I know personally who will help in different regards. I'm convinced that Tony Stark (plus Jarvis) is the equivalent of a team effort in the real world. ;) I won't be distributing the 3d print files though, but it sounds like a good bargain.

LOL
Loving the lipsum in the blueprints!

Which slicer have you been using? I can see a bit of a brim/raft in one of your pictures. Presumably you didn't have any problems with the piece coming off mid print. Looks like you're using quite a fine layer height as well, 0.1?

Yes, lorem ipsum. You weren't supposed to have such a keen eye for detail. ;)
My printer has an embedded automatic slicer that generates all the raft based on user settings. The layer height is actually not on the finest setting, because I have had better large print results with a bit higher layers.

I'm just starting to print this out tonight. I spent some time today learning modeling techniques, so I put it to use creating a MK 42 themed Iphone 4s case!

MK42_iphone4_still.jpeg

Any picture updates?? I´m amazed with your work!

Hey thanks man! Well, right now its just designing and working with servos. This week we're working on getting the code right for the buttons, lcd display, and servos. Matt (electronics engineer) basically emails me the long code sequences and says, well this one worked! I say, "AWESOME! Not sure what that is all about but I'm impressed." :) While I print out the housings for the servos and the lock mechanisms. So, no pics for the time being.

Also, deathgrey is working on turning his pep of the MK 42 into something more printable. So, he will probably cover most of the exterior armor layout in modeling. In terms of teamwork, I have an electronics engineer as my partner, a software developer/ programmer who is willing to help out, someone doing research and finding various files, another IT friend who may help with hacking things, and possibly some advice from a mechanical engineer I met.

Last edited:
UPDATE! The Project MK 42 Prototype TEAM is assembling, I have done a film shoot for our intro which I will edit soon (involving a ferrari) and I just made a connection with someone who has massive tools and CNC machine! Saweeet!!

UPDATE! The Project MK 42 Prototype TEAM is assembling, I have done a film shoot for our intro which I will edit soon (involving a ferrari) and I just made a connection with someone who has massive tools and CNC machine! Saweeet!!

This could possibly be the BEST IRON MAN SUIT EVER BUILT!!!!! I am so looking forward to whats coming up!

This could possibly be the BEST IRON MAN SUIT EVER BUILT!!!!! I am so looking forward to whats coming up!

Hey thanks! So, tonight I went over to try and learn the CNC machine with its somewhat complex software. A new member of the team may come on board to help with this aspect of the project. We figured out what bit and settings to use and actually routed out something in Aluminum for the first time ever! Exciting! We might start out by CNC ing frames for the IT tech guy to create large ABS capable 3D printers from scratch. Bigger build areas and more printers means more Iron Man armor much faster!

Hey thanks! So, tonight I went over to try and learn the CNC machine with its somewhat complex software. A new member of the team may come on board to help with this aspect of the project. We figured out what bit and settings to use and actually routed out something in Aluminum for the first time ever! Exciting! We might start out by CNC ing frames for the IT tech guy to create large ABS capable 3D printers from scratch. Bigger build areas and more printers means more Iron Man armor much faster!

Sounds incredible! So how many people are in your team?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back