Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

I'm starting to think this film might be bloated, plot wise.

Like the pirates of the Caribbean series

Based on what? A bunch of rumors & some leaked concept drawings? I think there's way too little that's been confirmed to get an idea, one way or another, what the plot is going to be much less that the movie will be bloated.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

I highly doubt this will be a bloated movie. I think everyone knows what's at stake here in the production of this film. They have not only very capable filmmakers, but capable creators who are also VERY passionate fans and I think it's going to be one of the most important films in their life they ever get to work on. This isn't a Lucastatorship this go around. I think the opportunity is finally here and they are taking it and making it into something really great. I doubt they are making careless decisions. There's so much material to use and doubt they are gonna go the stupid route of things.

I highly doubt it.

Ben

- - - Updated - - -

Based on what? A bunch of rumors & some leaked concept drawings? I think there's way too little that's been confirmed to get an idea, one way or another, what the plot is going to be much less that the movie will be bloated.

I highly doubt this will be a bloated movie. I think everyone knows what's at stake here in the production of this film. They have not only very capable filmmakers, but capable creators who are also VERY passionate fans and I think it's going to be one of the most important films in their life they ever get to work on. This isn't a Lucastatorship this go around. I think the opportunity is finally here and they are taking it and making it into something really great. I doubt they are making careless decisions. There's so much material to use and doubt they are gonna go the stupid route of things.

Both of these posts make perfect sense. :)

Ben

Kind of a neat rumor:

That's one area I don't think the Legends EU didn't explore enough. It was touched on in certain books, like the Darth Bane novels. I wish they had done more to show Luke was out looking for Jedi artifacts, teaching materials, etc. Plus, uh it's relatable for us. :lol

Luke Skywalker and the Jedi Temple of Doom! :D I wonder if they will at all t ouch upon the old Jedi Temple, its contents and whether or not it was actually destroyed or if he has access to any of it... its likely he would want to visit that temple/library if its still intact.. JJ abrams most likely took key points from all 6 films and will tie this one into at least some small part of each to make a greater whole.

Based on the rumors that we're hearing, I have to agree with you. There seems to be a lot going on in this movie and there are a lot of characters that could make this movie a bit heavy...

Of course, this is all speculative based on rumors... the final product could make it all work amazingly.

Well, I think we need to be sensitive to the reality that we are hearing multiple rumors about multiple characters, one of which may or may not be true. So if course it seems muddled but that's a logical fallacy.

I think what already puts this film into a totally fresh yet oldschool way of telling a story in the exuberant amount of money spent on the MASSIVE practical effects, and moving a new ILM to London to do the special effects. I totally feel Abrams has this by the horns and is going all out for the fans who grew up with the OT as he himself did. I kind of worry about how "dark" a story ark it may be but as long as it's told well, I can deal with it.

I think whole practical vs. computer effect is completely overhyped and overblown. A bad practical effect can ruin a shot just as a bad computer effect can...

What will make or break EpiVII for me is the story and the characters. If the story feels like Star Wars and the characters ring true to their origins, I could care less how they did the effects... because, I do believe the most of us couldn't tell a computer effect vs. a practical effect - if they're done right.

Luke Skywalker and the Jedi Temple of Doom! :D I wonder if they will at all t ouch upon the old Jedi Temple, its contents and whether or not it was actually destroyed or if he has access to any of it... its likely he would want to visit that temple/library if its still intact.. JJ abrams most likely took key points from all 6 films and will tie this one into at least some small part of each to make a greater whole.

The Jedi Temple is clearly still there at the end of ROTJ, so who knows. It would kind of fit with the EU idea that Sidious kept it around as a trophy and as warning. Who knows if he'd keep everything inside, but obviously the library would be a treasure trove. Plus it was on fire to some extent because you see smoke in ROTS. Also I think, from what I've heard, people like Coruscant as a location even if they hated the movies.

I think whole practical vs. computer effect is completely overhyped and overblown. A bad practical effect can ruin a shot just as a bad computer effect can...

What will make or break EpiVII for me is the story and the characters. If the story feels like Star Wars and the characters ring true to their origins, I could care less how they did the effects... because, I do believe the most of us couldn't tell a computer effect vs. a practical effect - if they're done right.

I totally agree, this whole practical vs. digital thing has been way overblown, I know for a fact that there are movies out there that had comp work done that most people didn't even realize had any effects work, practical or digital. Just take a good look at the end credits at various non-action, non-sci-fi movie and see how many of them have an effects house listed, a lot more than you realize. Practical effects has its place but so does CG and a poorly done effect using either results in a poor effect, each has its advantages & disadvantages but neither is superior to the other.

I think the overuse of CGI is what has ruined CGI for most people who are against it. In reality it does have its place just as practicle FX do. You need a good balance and I think JJ knows that. I also think he realises that a lot of the appeal of the OT especially to people on this board are the practicle sets and FX. :)

Ben

...There seems to be a lot going on in this movie and there are a lot of characters that could make this movie a bit heavy...
Maybe. But think about this--back in 1977 Star Wars (Episode IV, A New Hope, whatever) introduced us to C-3PO, R2-D2, Luke Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Han Solo, Chewbacca, Leia Organa, Grand Moff Tarkin, Darth Vader, Uncle Owen, Aunt Beru, Wedge, Biggs, Porkins, Mon Mothma, General Motti, General Dodonna, General Willard, Greedo, Dr. Evazan, Ponda Baba, Tusken Raiders, Jawas, and countless Stormtroopers, not to mention all of the various aliens on Tattooine, and that movie was rather sparsely populated compared to the movies that came after.

As long as the movie has a good story with decent dialogue, strong performances, and believable special effects, I don't care how many characters they throw at us.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back