Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

Sorry guys, One or two Ewok is ok. There is a reason why Jar Jar was hated and a reason why Willow was a flop.

Lets all keep to the roots and quit inviting the coat tail relatives.

Not trying to rain on the parade, because I'm excited about this art too, but the concept art for TPM looked freaking AWESOME. And while I actually think a lot of what ended up on screen also looked cool, it was still an iffy movie.

Having said that, in the OT what ended up on screen looked better than the concept art across the board, IMO, but the two were very different.

All I'm saying is as cool as these leaks are, they don't mean much. Might be none of it is in the movie anyway.

The fact they have tried to remove the pictures says rather lot. The range of work covered was pretty wide and related to a lot of aspects of the production. As far as I know this is the first time anything has been suppressed by shutting down an address, which indicates just how much of it was a potentially serious spoiler for the film.
Yes, I remember waiting the whole night for the trailer to TPM to download ,and yes it looked brilliant. And I have never forgotten that bitter flat taste of disappointment that haunted me when I left the cinema after seeing it. So I’ll acknowledge that the quality of story and the script may not meet the high standards of the promising visuals we‘ve seen so far.
BUT, and I’ll say it again ,I highly doubt it. EVERYONE knows what failed in the Prequels. Despite their huge financial success the core themes that made the OT so potent and poignant were mostly missing, and those criticisms have been widely acknowledged and every effort will have been made to avoid those same pitfalls.
Look at how successful Marvel and other recent film releases have been in judging their key box office demographics. And I’d argue CA:TWS and GOTG are probably the best possible comparisons we could currently have to gauge the likely production values we can expect to see in EP7. They are going to visually stunning.
Just look at the range of actors involved. Its one of the best and most interesting casts I've seen for a while. Have a good look at the people working behind the camera . They represent the very best the industry has to offer and they have worked on some of the biggest and best box office franchises released over the last few years. There is a phenomenal amount of talent working on this film and they will want to make and deliver a GREAT SW film, probably more so than most people on this site. There is such a great kudos and pride being attatched to this project and a hugely positive vibe about this through out, everyone working on it or visiting seems utterly delighted with the overall direction and the way it absolutely feels like “Star Wars”.
Yes, there are no guarantees that what we’ll see, even in the eventual EP7 trailer will not be somewhat changed before release (Captain A.TWS any one? ) but I literally have no fears what so ever for this film any more. The more that has been revealed the greater confidence I have in that statement.
And ,having seen the concept artwork I think, amongst all that battle wreckage on the desert planet, that the oft hinted at light sabre and cyborg hand could very well be found in that debris field by Daisy’s character, instead of the daft opening as previously suggested. Its highly likely that Luke, along with many others , would probably be injured again, given the vast number of energy weapons being used.

PS If memory serves Luke has NO functioning lightsabre at the end of Jedi having , rather daftly, chucked his V2 aside . So I imagine he would have had to build another, or probably several others over the last thirty years. So there is no reason at all that the one Daisy's character finds amoungst the wreakage would have to be like a V2, it could be Luke rebuilt one like his Fathers and lost that, along with his hand again in the battle. Which would tie in nicely with the rumours and concept art we have seen.

Last edited:

Yeah I remember that night too, put it on a tape and me and a bunch of star wars fans watched it at dinner time at the British aerospace video conference lounge, so much optimism, so little payoff.

PS If memory serves Luke has NO functioning lightsabre at the end of Jedi having , rather daftly, chucked his V2 aside . So I imagine he would have had to build another, or probably several others over the last thirty years. So there is no reason at all that the one Daisy's character finds amoungst the wreakage would have to be like a V2, it could be Luke rebuilt one like his Fathers and lost that, along with his hand again in the battle. Which would tie in nicely with the rumours and concept art we have seen.

He did but he also could have picked it up before dragging his old man to the shuttle. I would think he would have.

Any fears I have over this are about modern filming. In all of these movies, plots are chucked aside for cool battle imagery. On one hand, we have the avengers, that was so bloated that the plot had to overly simple and overlooked that it left a bad taste in your mouth. And on the other hand, we have pirates of the Caribbean. Which had such a convoluted plot, it was simply painful to follow.

I'm hoping that Abrams can navigate within this somehow. Any faith I have in him comes from super 8, not star trek

He did but he also could have picked it up before dragging his old man to the shuttle. I would think he would have.

I just looked at the blue ray of Luke dragging Vader to the shuttle and sadly there is no lightsaber attached to his belt. in fact the actual hook can be seen empty. He tossed it and didn't bother to retrieve it is my opinion.

I just looked at the blue ray of Luke dragging Vader to the shuttle and sadly there is no lightsaber attached to his belt. in fact the actual hook can be seen empty. He tossed it and didn't bother to retrieve it is my opinion.

Here's a strange one. This was one of those rare moments where the prequels make an original trilogy moment better. Every Jedi in those movies always resorted to lightsabers to the point that the Jedi would not only be the first to ignite their sabers, but ignite them in a room with only an unarmed droid. As the guardians of peace and justice throughout the galaxy, is there really no other method than resorting to a self-proclaimed weapon?

Anakin: When I got to them we got into aggressive negotiations.
Padme: Aggressive negotiations? What's that?
Anakin: Ah, well, it's negotiations with a lightsaber.

Luke tossing that saber aside and declaring himself a Jedi was a move in the right direction. It may not have been the right thing to do at that moment, but it was for the right reasons.

Star Wars Episode VII

Here's a strange one. This was one of those rare moments where the prequels make an original trilogy moment better. Every Jedi in those movies always resorted to lightsabers to the point that the Jedi would not only be the first to ignite their sabers, but ignite them in a room with only an unarmed droid. As the guardians of peace and justice throughout the galaxy, is there really no other method than resorting to a self-proclaimed weapon?

Luke tossing that saber aside and declaring himself a Jedi was a move in the right direction. It may not have been the right thing to do at that moment, but it was for the right reasons.

Very good point! The OT Yoda pretty much made it clear that fighting and violence was a last resort and only for defense.

To me even back in1983 Luke indeed became a Jedi once he tossed his lightsabre and defied the emperor. "So be it... Jedi!" :D

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Luke has his lightsaber when he returns to the Ewok village.

Thats right, he does. Like I said, he would have kept it, continuity errors aside. A light saber is more then a weapon. It's more a means of defense and the construction of a saber in the EU was a big part of becoming a Jedi. It's symbolic. Conceptually looking at all the films it would have been an interesting choice for Luke to leave it, but that wasn't part of GL's story in 1983.

Last edited:

I think the Graflex saber in the concept art is intentional and not a place holder. I think Daisy's character comes into possession of it, as per the rumors we have heard, and is searching for Luke. If Luke has gone dark, he may have an entirely new saber with red blade. Again, assuming that cyborg on the throne is Luke.

Not saying the Jedi should outright abandon their tools. The lightsabers are, as you put it, symbolic to the Jedi and have properties that can get them out in a pinch without harming anyone. Unfortunately when Star Wars tries to focus on moments where a Jedi doesn't want to resort to violence always feels like the exception rather than the golden rule they claim to live by.

Not saying the Jedi should outright abandon their tools. The lightsabers are, as you put it, symbolic to the Jedi and have properties that can get them out in a pinch without harming anyone. Unfortunately when Star Wars tries to focus on moments where a Jedi doesn't want to resort to violence always feels like the exception rather than the golden rule they claim to live by.

Well, consider it this way. We see Jedi in the films in situations of incredible duress. It makes for exciting film making. In reality, if this galaxy existed, most Jedi could likely spend their entire career not pulling their light sabers. I never have felt the Jedi Are violent because of the films. I look at the films as a showing a very specific Jedi centric story.

Well, consider it this way. We see Jedi in the films in situations of incredible duress. It makes for exciting film making. In reality, if this galaxy existed, most Jedi could likely spend their entire career not pulling their light sabers. I never have felt the Jedi Are violent because of the films. I look at the films as a showing a very specific Jedi centric story.

Also in the EU Prequel era books (to an extent in the movies/movie novels) they've made it clear that all the conflict in the Prequels is going on because of the Sith. More conflict equals more Jedi deployed and that leads to more dead Jedi. Before that they probably didn't need to use their lightsabers as much. By the time of the Prequels, at least by the end of TPM, it's clear that a lot of people are out to kill them. I think it would be like the amount of U.S. police officers who have had to shoot someone. It's relatively low.

He could have used the force to retrieve it for him while he was using his actual muscles to pull his dad onto the shuttle, we just didn't see it happen.

Just watched the end of Jedi again and that light sabre does reappear briefly right at the end as Luke strides in to the Ewok village and ever so slightly in the very final shot behind C3-PO. But in fairness to me its not observably present through all the Darth death scene. Continuity people please!

Out of interest to those of us in the UK you should watch the “Antiques Roadshow” tonight. There is a piece on an original Tie pilot helmet!!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ls-feel-force-star-wars-helmet-worth-50k.html

PS Read the highest rated comments below the article. They are very funny!!!!

Last edited:

Kind of a neat rumor:

- Adam Driver's character starts off good, but his secret addiction - collecting artifacts related to the darkside - overtakes him eventually and he becomes a villain in the later two films.

That's one area I don't think the Legends EU didn't explore enough. It was touched on in certain books, like the Darth Bane novels. I wish they had done more to show Luke was out looking for Jedi artifacts, teaching materials, etc. Plus, uh it's relatable for us. :lol

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back