Alien Nostromo Flashlights

Hz6n92e.jpg
Not just ceiling mount! But here it looks very fake. Might just be the light/paint though...

Now that I look closer, I think that the front part is actually the rear part of a car headlight mounting system. The part behind the grille. The tabs visible on that front part look to me like the adjustable part of a headlight system.

Spot on. I plan to do some hunting on the rear segment this weekend. I think it's too industrial looking to be a coffee pot.

I hit a wall...

So, I reached out to a couple folks at Creative Assembly who worked on the 3D Nostromo models for Alien Isolation. I've heard that they got access to some great stuff from the studio. I'm hoping they have better reference material than we do, which might help.

Still waiting on a response. We'll see what they come back with.

I have just finished reading Cinema Alchemist, Roger Christian's book about how he detailed sets and created props on Star Wars and A L I E N...
He mentions these lamps... as lamps he found in a shop. They were denominated as "red heads", so I suppose they were already that color.
It's obvious though that the handle was added later...
Contec's theory is very tempting, it brings fresh air to the research on that prop...

I've for myself always been inclined to think that the middle part of the handle (the one where one is supposed to put his hand) came from a real tool and was incorporated into some kind of quick sculpt (the rest/basis of the handle). The design of that (huge) part looks so weird and smooth that I can't relate it to anything built industrially...
Later that part (real handle from tool + sculpted weird basis) would have been casted in order to replicate the numerous lamps seen in the film. (there's at least 6 on the bridge iirc)

My 2 cents...

I have just finished reading Cinema Alchemist, Roger Christian's book about how he detailed sets and created props on Star Wars and A L I E N...
He mentions these lamps... as lamps he found in a shop. They were denominated as "red heads", so I suppose they were already that color.
It's obvious though that the handle was added later...
Contec's theory is very tempting, it brings fresh air to the research on that prop...

Red Heads are a type of movie lights. http://www.mediacollege.com/lighting/types/redhead.html

Red heads are open face tungsten fixtures. Old school. Ive worked with them in the past.

The inner housing / lamp might be from one of these, but the outer shell looks different than most red heads I've seen. I'm guessing there's just a lot built up around the fixture. Or, the red heads from the 70s look much different than more recent models

Red Head could be simply his term for the type of bulb they were using. In film back then, the brightness of the flashlight, and a fixture they could count on, would have been paramount.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back