Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
I did my usual screencap enhancement.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/karltate/albums/72157671374605986

27889116914_e3840352e7_b.jpg

27889120134_6ce662ff0c_o.jpg

27889117184_e11d0741de_o.jpg

28427654501_a70d2b5e0e_o.jpg

Wow. I never thought I'd live to see the day when the NCC-1701-D would be the second ugliest Starfleet ship in the Star Trek universe. :facepalm

The Excelsior still beats them all for outright fugliness. :D And the Enterprise D is beautiful, from the right angles.

That said, I've never liked this scrapped phase 2 design, and still don't. I was hoping this series would be post-Nemesis/Voyager timeline, but this design could only exist somewhere between ENT and TOS, unless it is some strange hybrid Starfleet/Klingon design as some are suggesting, but it still has none of the features of that era. The registry would also imply that earlier era to me.

I don't know, we'll wait and see. Everything Fuller has said has filled me with confidence so far, and he definitely seems to understand Trek's core values, so I'm optimistic they know what they're doing.

To me, the bronziness makes it look kinda NX-01 era, but the size and scale of the windows makes it look closer to the size of 1701, if not bigger.

I dunno, I like that it has some aggressive angles. First main Trek capital-ship I've liked in a LONG time (Abramsprise? Enterprise-E? Voyager? Ugh.)

My only complaint at present is that the hull looks a little TOO plain. I dunno, maybe they were going for a TOS level of detail (i.e., none)... although I note the edge of the primary saucer has those 1701-refit parallel lines. Definite NX-1 vibe, with a little Excelsior, and just a whiff of that John Berkey painting for TMP

berkeyTMPteaser.jpg

Yeah I thought the font looked JJ Trek too, why I was nervous, but they say of course it's prime verse.
I imagine such things can still change by the time it broadcasts.
Guessing they decided on the ship design and wanted something quick out for SDCC.

I see a lot of Oberth class details too. Especially the detail along the edges of the secondary hull. And the hatched ring around the bridge section

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So they probably released the teaser just to see how much people will hate/love it.

I think it was probably more about having something to show at SDCC for the reveal of the name, and this was what they had so far. They may have had to scrap together some of the details like lettering and greeblies to get something ready on time, but I don't expect they'd majorly overhaul the design from now.

They are starting a in house VFX shop for the series.
Take the teaser with a grain of salt because from what I understand it was put together over the past couple of months.
So they may or may not be the final look for the ship.

TrekMovie.com confirmed that this is NOT the final rendering of the ship.

https://twitter.com/trekmovie/status/757025812939812864

CBS has done in house work for Star Trek know with varying degrees of good and bad work. When they remastered the original series, their CGI Emterprise was just awful looking. It took about 20 episodes before they finally changed it to a much better looking model.

OK, I wonder if the saucer section separates differently than we have gotten used to. The outer portion is the part that can break away on it's own, a lifeboat donut kind of thing.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back