RS Prop Masters ANH stomtrooper build: 2 sets of armor: 1 full PVC kit+helmet, 1 ABS

Re: RS Prop Masters ANH stomtrooper build: 2 sets of armor: 1 full PVC kit+helmet, 1

Everything is assembled on the ABS armor as well, minus some small closing/strapping mechanisms. I mocked it all up with some white gaffa on my (too tall and silly) mannequin.

Here's a pic (helmet and hand guards aren't RS PropMasters):
6515443987_90703bb20d_b.jpg

My camera battery is charging right now; later I'll try and snap some pics of me wearing the whole finished PVC shebang.

Re: RS Prop Masters ANH stomtrooper build: 2 sets of armor: 1 full PVC kit+helmet, 1

I find myself coming to this thread over and over. Thanks for all the updates, ObiHahn

PS Would you consider building other people's armor?

I find myself coming to this thread over and over. Thanks for all the updates, ObiHahn

PS Would you consider building other people's armor?

And there's even more updates today! ;)

I guess building armor for others would be mostly one thing: expensive.
With all the mailing stuff around the world and the hours invested in every build, I'd have to take a bit for it - but sure, I love building armor and I think I kinda nailed the stormtrooper after building 5 suits (these two suits being 4 and 5).

Here's me wearing my PVC suit for the first time - not bad for a first fitting:
6516785867_f8805d9e3c_b.jpg

6516791675_e839587ea9_b.jpg

6516797469_8f7833f321_b.jpg

6516803097_caa8ca5814_b.jpg

6516811957_7361c34b95_b.jpg

6516820741_7692fa76e7_b.jpg

Both the helmet chin strap and the crotch strap weren't closed. The butt plate hangs down too low in the rear view.
In the rear view you can also see that I might have to re-do the shin closures, since they're not seamless enough...maybe I will reposition both the closing elastics and the covering strip.

That is an awesome job. Absolutely beautiful.

I weathered my PVC armor this weekend, and I think it turned out pretty true to the good old "Tantive IV" raid scene look. I thought about leaving this suit shiny at first, but I prefer the "battle worn" look of ANH troopers, so this one also had to take a beating. :D

With flash:
6533300955_8b3d1a505f_b.jpg

Without flash:
6533288933_092fb0a980_b.jpg

Here's the PVC helmet, with simulated paint chipping showing the khaki "HDPE" underneath, plus some weathering:

6536973521_934bcc9b9e_b.jpg

6536978477_b655160423_b.jpg

6536983043_d81670bd32_b.jpg

6536987791_48fc5c4e50_b.jpg

OMG! ObiHahn, are you sure you didn't steal this armor from the LFL archives? Again, great job.

That's basically the look I was going for, Idlewild, so thanks!
Well, not so much "aged archive armor" but more like "end of the shoot Tantive IV raid".

Everything is better than pristine armor IMHO, uncle George did not think up his "used universe" for nothing! ;)

Beautiful work. Just the right amount of weathering.

It look´s perfect to me. Falling in love :love

Hey ObiHahn,

Have you got any progress on your ABS suit to share?!

Which do you prefer to 'suit up' in? The ABS or PVC suits? I'm guessing it's PVC cos it's so much more robust and flexible?

Where did you get the aluminium strips for your O2 cannisters / thermal detonators? I would imagine it's easily bent by hand, and can be easily shaped around the grey pipe 'body' of the O2 cannister / thermal detonator?

It look´s perfect to me. Falling in love :love

Get a set of RS armor as well then! :)

.... and then 'get a room' with it! :love .........:lol
Just kidding, man.... we are all a 'lil bit in love with this fantastic armour.
.... it just ain't 'physical' love.....

..... yet! :confused :lol

Cheers,
John
john@manicminer.plus.com

Hey John, here's where I'm at with the ABS armor:
6640319141_704f015aac_b.jpg

Now all I need to finish it is the correct setting tool for the accurate snaps I have - searching for one is not the easiest of tasks. Once all torso snaps are installed it'll be ready to wear/display, and it will also be weathered like my already finished PVC armor.

Which set do I prefer to gear up in? Hm...I'd have to say the PVC one, because like you said, the flex and sturdiness is really ideal for trooping.
But nothing beats the look and feel of the original material, so all in all, the ABS one is my fav.

The detonator strips are normal 1mm sheet aluminium from the hardware store, I cut and bent that to shape. It's quite easy to work with and is easily bendable around the grey pipe.

Cool... thanks for the answers.

That ABS suit's looking very nice - hope you get the snap setting-tool soon, so you can suit-up in the ABS costume :thumbsup

Cheers,
John
johnATmanicminerDOTplusDOTcom

I really love how you've finished and weathered that pcv helmet Obi. Looks real nice and aged.Abs suit looks sweet too. I think I may pick up one of the restored PVC suits this year if I can afford it after I've finished my unrestored abs suit.

Ben

I really love how you've finished and weathered that pcv helmet Obi. Looks real nice and aged.Abs suit looks sweet too. I think I may pick up one of the restored PVC suits this year if I can afford it after I've finished my unrestored abs suit.

Ben

Thanks, Ben. I can highly recommend getting both materials if you can. Where can I follow your progress, btw? Haven't found a thread yet.

One thing I love about you Stormtrooper guys. Is that you not only replicate the costume, but you make sure that all the little imperfections of the original are retained in the armor. With the chips and bumps and such. It's amazing.

Thanks Rocko I hadn't checked back til now. :thumbsup

Ben

You´re welcome!
I´m about to buy myself a RS suit in the near future too, so just can´t get enough of great buildups. :love:thumbsup

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back