3D Printer roll call (speak up if you have a 3D printer & are open to collaboration)

Re: 3D Printer roll call (speak up if you have a 3D printer & are open to collaborati

I bort a resin drone from one of the RPF members here and I just want to use a couple of the 3d print plans I found on thingyverse for more detail so thought i'd get you to print a whole one out and also then scale up the pieces I need to fit the resin drone. Can you scale the plans up? I can give you dimensions of the pieces I need scaling up to. Plans are at this link...Oblivion Defender Drone!! by BrandonW6 - Thingiverse and a couple of upgrades Oblivion Drone Detail Addons by TechnoBill - Thingiverse
What scale? Overall dimensions?

Re: 3D Printer roll call (speak up if you have a 3D printer & are open to collaborati

I'm currently using a Flashforge Creator. Right now I'm running my etsy shop for tiny cosplay bits (3D Printed Cosplay Bits by Cosplastic on Etsy), but I'm also using it for some personal projects.

ynAykpxl.jpg

...like this Daft Punk helmet.

QnQhyLZm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

I have a Makerbot Thing-O-Matic. It is just a starter machine, and i intent to build a much larger machine at some point...

Frankensteined Makerbot ToM (Did a lot of fixing to make it work right!)
Trying to figure out a way to afford a Form1 as well.

To the others who use PLA: What do you use as a filler to help smooth it out? Bondo would lose all the details and the primer/filler I use doesn't fill the spaces good enough. :/

Working with a Makerbot Replicator 2. Borrowed and very finicky, only recently troubleshot and most of the issues are sorted out (knocking on wood with fingers crossed).

AtomicSoul, I've been going at my prints with a wood rasp to remove the most prominent ridges, light sanding ("medium" grit sponge) to clean up then alternating high-build primer-filler (duplicolor?) and sanding. Eventually does the trick. Time consuming and a lot of hard work compared to finishing ABS, plus if you designed parts that fit together with specific tolerance you'd need to account for the sanded off material. Then again that's only what I do with my prints... probably much easier and smarter ways to smooth PLA out there but I haven't found any. Stuck in the stone age with this stuff. : (

I know someone with a Form1... an absolute marvel. Only problem is that it takes about 1 hour per vertical cm (or close to that, don't remember exact specs). Also the finished resin pieces are extremely brittle. Not so good for "final" products but prototypes instead. Excellent level of detail/vertical resolution all things considered.

I just got a Duplicator 4. Not printed anything as yet as it came with no instructions so it took me a little while to get it all put together. I hope to try my first print this weekend. :)

Hey atomic soul, I use wood filler on my prints. I put it on very fine and use a tooth pick to keep from losing detail. Once that dries I do a quick sand and prime, 2-3 rounds is enough to smooth it out nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey atomic soul, I use wood filler on my prints. I put it on very fine and use a tooth pick to keep from losing detail. Once that dries I do a quick sand and prime, 2-3 rounds is enough to smooth it out nicely.

Is there a specific wood filler you would recommend?

That doesn't turn out too thick?
I figure there was either something spray-able or semi-thick that could be used: I tried Bondo and it was too thick imho. (I print at .20 max for details, and can get down to 1.2 min.)

I use Elmer's wood filler, I have a tub of it.

It's a little thick but I just work it into the piece and scrape it out of the details with a tooth pick. It works good for the items I've been printing.

Alternatively if you want something thinner you could try mixing it with wood glue and water to thin it out. This will give you something you can paint on. I've used that as a coating on foam projects and it works really well.

I'll be ordering a Solidoodle 4 in a month or so, and I love the idea of collaborating. I'll keep you posted.

what is the best affordable one out there big enough for lets say hockey mask size etc.....any help would be lovely ... i understand you can make masks in sections i would just like a idea of one that can do a whole and the best to do half etc....

I've been thinking about getting one for a while but know very little about them. Do you the owners of 3D printers find that the investment is worth it for casual use? Any reccomendations for what I should look for in one since there are many to choose from?

I've got a Zim coming in from Zeepro. I jumped on it when they had their kickstarter campaign going on. It can print at a resolution of 50 Microns. I was thinking of offering some 3d printing service here at the Forum for a good price. Is that even allowed? I'm also thinking about a Ultimaker 2 in the near future. That would be a dream-machine!

Here is a link to a video of Zim printing at a very high resolution. It also has dual extruders, capable of printing PVA support which is soluable in water... Think of the possibilites!

Owls 3D printing, high resolution, 50 microns per layer - YouTube

Is someone here with a 3d printer from Germany?

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9305 mit Tapatalk

Hey Markseven,
I'm from Germany :)
My printer arrives in June *fingerscrossed*

I've been thinking about getting one for a while but know very little about them. Do you the owners of 3D printers find that the investment is worth it for casual use? Any reccomendations for what I should look for in one since there are many to choose from?

I pledged for the Micro 3D kickstarter. I'll get it in Dec. I think it only has a 4x4x4" build area, but for $300 I think it's well worth it, plus iirc it can print down to 35 micron resolution!

Last edited by a moderator:

Hey Markseven,
I'm from Germany :)
My printer arrives in June *fingerscrossed*

Yeah, change ur name to Mr McAwesome!

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9305 mit Tapatalk

so im probablt selling my solidoodle two and either upgrading to a solidoodle 3 or one of the new printr bot simples? any thoughts?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back