DL 44 Mystery disc

If the blaster was made/assembled in England, wouldn't an English coin make more sense?

Maybe I should not discuss things I know nothing about.

Now, back to my corner..... :popcorn

Lol, the Greedo killer was a mgc that was put together in England because they had problems with bringing this one over because it was a live firearm. From what I can remember :)

Lol, the Greedo killer was a mgc that was put together in England because they had problems with bringing this one over because it was a live firearm. From what I can remember :)

The other way round; the GK was assembled in hollywood to film an 'insert' shot of Han's holster which was then cut into the British cantina footage of the hero.

Right you are, I remember something about problems with getting the live fire gun somewhere, and I remembered it wrong. Lol, Greedo killer was made because it was too much of a hassle to get it out of the UK to shoot the cantina scene interiors in California. Thanks for the correction :)

If the blaster was made/assembled in England, wouldn't an English coin make more sense?

Maybe I should not discuss things I know nothing about.

Now, back to my corner..... :popcorn

Back to my corner, sorry, right you are, yes a UK coin would make more sense, tried to look up blank mint error English coins (Farthing/Shilling that are 23-24mm but can't seem to find any pics of blanks ones. The quarter seems to fit really well, maybe the prop guys brought over a bag of greeblies?

Last edited:
Ah yeah, knock-out disks from electrical junctions boxes. I had to pick up every one of those I saw in the hopes it was actually a quarter.

Yes!

I used them on my build, to mask off paint, only because I had a Blast-Tech grill that had a 3/4" cut out for the mystery disc. I now know the disc is much bigger and these knock-out discs are too small, technically.

Yes that pic is the hero before set dressing, as it came from Bapty.

The mystery disc was caused after a greeblie came off at some point during pre production. LIKELY, during the costume fitting when Harrison was getting acquainted with the prop and drawing it from the holster for practice. There are photos of this instance, but I only have a few, and none of the ones I have seen show enough detail to determine if the greeblie was ever present during the roll of film shot.

The lip you're seeing is glue residue. The entire lower was painted, minus the grips along with the mount. So what you're seeing is what looks to be where the glue discolored the steel underneath likely stripping the bluing... UNLESS... they sanding it down before paint for some reason. There's no way to know for sure, except for the fact that whatever cause the disc, had a hole in the center to allow the paint to make the dot.

anh_hero55.jpganh_underbarrel.jpg

And it wasn't the type of Michell pulley used for the Imperial officer cap/belt greeblies. 1) Those are right about an inch in diameter -- so bigger than the mystery disc, and 2) that version of Michell pulley has a notch that is not present in the paint artifacts on the ANH Hero. Similarly, it isn't one of the bases for the stylus brush or platter brush mounts, as those are even larger. There are many other washers and spacers and such on this style of turntable, though, that could be candidates:

IMG_1064_zpsb63ac0ba.jpg

This thread over on The Dented Helmet has about the most complete photographic rundown of one of these turntables that I've ever run across, for one's consideration...

--Jonah

Yes that pic is the hero before set dressing, as it came from Bapty.

The mystery disc was caused after a greeblie came off at some point during pre production. LIKELY, during the costume fitting when Harrison was getting acquainted with the prop and drawing it from the holster for practice. There are photos of this instance, but I only have a few, and none of the ones I have seen show enough detail to determine if the greeblie was ever present during the roll of film shot.

The lip you're seeing is glue residue. The entire lower was painted, minus the grips along with the mount. So what you're seeing is what looks to be where the glue discolored the steel underneath likely stripping the bluing... UNLESS... they sanding it down before paint for some reason. There's no way to know for sure, except for the fact that whatever cause the disc, had a hole in the center to allow the paint to make the dot.

View attachment 704684View attachment 704685

Yeah that lip looks like black paint reflecting. Where is that other picture from? Wish I saw that first. But interesting thing though, the dot, in the movie screen caps I grabbed when they get out of the smuggling compartments is not visible, and it is reflecting a lot, then in the other promo shot where he is full standing where I tried to highlight an edge there is no dot. Where the grill is glued together really looks like it has been painted. The shine that comes of it in the movie is like mirror polished steel. If they epoxied that greeblie on and it was on polished steel that would stop the steel from losing it shine. Well, that was my other thought, saw the way you did your Mystery disc on your live fire and that looked the closest yet. Thanks for posting.

And it wasn't the type of Michell pulley used for the Imperial officer cap/belt greeblies. 1) Those are right about an inch in diameter -- so bigger than the mystery disc, and 2) that version of Michell pulley has a notch that is not present in the paint artifacts on the ANH Hero. Similarly, it isn't one of the bases for the stylus brush or platter brush mounts, as those are even larger. There are many other washers and spacers and such on this style of turntable, though, that could be candidates:

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/...nscription Turntable/IMG_1064_zpsb63ac0ba.jpg

This thread over on The Dented Helmet has about the most complete photographic rundown of one of these turntables that I've ever run across, for one's consideration...

--Jonah

Thanks, checked out that thread, some nice pics, was that a v2 cone knob I also saw.:)

Isn't it fun spotting the wild greeble in its natural environment? :)--Jonah

Yes Sir! Looking at those screen caps from where he gets out of the smuggling compartments I reckon that must be the greeblie, it is very shinny, too shiny to be what we see in the promo shots, but photos and lighting are very very frightening, and misleading, and what Scott says makes sense. Some shots the lower receiver looks like it is blued, in others it looks like it is painted, I have seen people machining out the disc recently, all these things make for lots of confusion. My very first thought when I first saw it was that something was glued on, then painted, then fell off. At the least I hope this thread is useful to any new DL44 fans who are looking to do their Mystery Disc.

I'm curious how much of a difference the lighting makes. Set lighting tends to be a lot brighter and less diffused than photoshoot lighting... That is, if it's an empty spot where something used to be in the publicity photos and smuggling compartment scene, would the glare of a serendipitously-placed set light glare off the stripped metal of that circle enough to obscure the center spot and glue discoloration?

--Jonah

I'm curious how much of a difference the lighting makes. Set lighting tends to be a lot brighter and less diffused than photoshoot lighting... That is, if it's an empty spot where something used to be in the publicity photos and smuggling compartment scene, would the glare of a serendipitously-placed set light glare off the stripped metal of that circle enough to obscure the center spot and glue discoloration?

--Jonah

I would not be surprised, it probably could. When I was making my grill for the front I noticed that when I cut the sections of the reade model parts, you are left over with the top bit that tapers and that still has the plastic base inside, the inside diameter is 23mm, I put that part where the mystery disc should go and it looked cool, you could even screw it on, this would have caused problems drawing from a holster and easily break off.

Machined disk or added disk? There's a reason I'm asking.

Attachments

• 0520170913.jpg
    0520170913.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 251
The reason I'm asking is does the disk in the picture look machined into the surface or does it look like an added piece. I'm no expert but Ive read this thread and the ANH DL-44 thread. The right side of this disk looks machined, as you can see "wall" created from the maching process. Ive seen similiar pictures in this thread that point out this feature on the real prop as evidence of the real disk being machined into the body. But I may have an explenation.

The reason I'm asking is does the disk in the picture look machined into the surface or does it look like an added piece. I'm no expert but Ive read this thread and the ANH DL-44 thread. The right side of this disk looks machined, as you can see "wall" created from the maching process. Ive seen similiar pictures in this thread that point out this feature on the real prop as evidence of the real disk being machined into the body. But I may have an explenation.
\That was a TFA picture you posted

The machined disc idea was pretty far back - and we have pretty good evidence that wall is from paint and glue buildup. We don't know for certain, so I'd love the explanation you can provide!

Yes the gun itself is my AW DL-44 that I have been modding. The disk in my picture was made from aluminum foil. When I cut it out it was on a hard rubber desk matt. With the pressure of the knife cutting thru the foil it left a small upturned lip all around the disk. When I glued the disk to the gun, that near microscopic lip caught the light and gave the false impression that it was recessed, that you were seeing a wall and not an upturned lip on the disk.

Now, I'm not suggesting they used aluminum foil on the ANH prop, but what if they cut a disk out of very thin aluminum that left a small upturned lip around it? This lip could trick the eye into thinking its a recessed wall and not an upturned lip.

Compare the right side of the disk in my picture to pictures of the ANH disk. It's a very similiar effect.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back