SS Betty (Alien Resurrection)

Al, I'm rooting for you. That Betty is too good to be abandoned:eek...I know that funds are always great to have, but hang in there!

Love this ship, one of my favourites, amazing build so far! I'm going to have a stab at building my own very soon, but at a size a bit smaller than yours.

i haven't gone through the whole thread but i found scratch built betty on deviant art, i don't know if you saw it or not IED?

Attachments

• betty_016_by_booger47boogyman47-d62j6ny.jpg
    betty_016_by_booger47boogyman47-d62j6ny.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 339
This is very cool I worked on this film as a model maker. I may have some photos that might help you. I will look through what I have. I did not do much on the Betty Though it sat right next to my desk when it was being built. I did work on a special close up model of the ship for the docking scene also woked on the dock.. I was on set with it for the first part of the miniature shoot as well. We put the miniature cockpit in the model on set. The orignal plan had been to do all those shots as green screen, but when it got to set they changed their mind and had us do a practical miniature that could be seen through the windows.I will see what iIcan find that might not be on line but now days everyting is on line.

All my portifiilo pages have been at the office for weeks waiting to be scaned . So this is a good time to do that. Your model progressed in much the same way as the real model did, except for the motors and gears for the engines. I need to do some casting this morning before it gets too hot so I will try and get the photos up this afternoon.

Last edited:
Ok got our the old protifilo pages and copyed what I had. I seem to be missing a page becuse there was a crew photo with the Betty and the docking bay,and one or two beauty shots of the Betty in the docking bay. I will need to look around the house I did pare down my portfolio becuse it was getting a litlle over full. I will look this weekend and see if I can find that page. So not all of this is the Betty there is the close up Betty some docking bay photos the close up tower of the Arigia and the 1/6 scale jail cells and lab.

- - - Updated - - -

It missed a few photos IMG_0407.JPGIMG_0404.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0402.JPG
    IMG_0402.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 205
  • IMG_0401.JPG
    IMG_0401.JPG
    796.8 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_0400.JPG
    IMG_0400.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 213
  • IMG_0399.JPG
    IMG_0399.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 259
  • IMG_0398.JPG
    IMG_0398.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 223
  • IMG_0397.JPG
    IMG_0397.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 249
  • IMG_0394.JPG
    IMG_0394.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 219
  • IMG_0392.JPG
    IMG_0392.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 202
  • IMG_0391.JPG
    IMG_0391.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 245
  • IMG_0390.JPG
    IMG_0390.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 239
Last edited:
The landing bay was a big model but it was tall and not hard to get around. The 1/6 scale lab and Alien cells was huge, the size of room. It took up a huge amout of space in the shop. You got so used to going through it or around it to get to tools and supplies. The day they moved it to set every time I crossed into the space it had been sittting it it felt like I was falling

The model shoot for this film was crazy the DP had this idea that because space was black he needed to to use black bounce cards to light the models. It was insanely hot on set and we had huge lights on set to get enough light to see the models becuse of the balck bounce cards the models were literally smoking and melting. Bounce cards and drapes were catching on fire becuse it was so hot. Tempers were on a hair tirger, and fights between crew membrs and temper tantrams of all kinds were common. I was kind of glad that I was not on the shoot for the whole job.

Last edited:
A few more pictures a few from my friend Scott and one from my friend Rick. I am still freinds with a lot of guys who workded on this film. When I posted some of these on Face Book they said they they would share some of the photos they have so we will see what turns up. schneider_alien_4.jpgschneider_alien_3.jpgAlienRes00.pngAlienRes01.pngAlienRes02.pngrhi_01.jpg

Last edited:
In the photo above with the two guys woking on the Betty not sure who the older guys is, but the younger man is Dale Tanguay he was a mechanical engineer on this film. One of the guys in the fabrication dept. named Randy nick named Dale "Kooky". Every time Dale came out into the main shop Randy would do this call Koooo Keeee! The whole shop would take it up. Dale hated it. Which of course made it funnier. Shops can be like school yards. You either roll with it or you are doomed.

Best
Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful pics! Thanks for sharing.

I love hearing details about production.

Incidentally, I heard that the film stock was developed in an unusual way, to enhance the blacks.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back