SyFy's Heroes of Cosplay

I just got done watching tonight's episode.
While the Soul Calibur costumes were good. The Hilde Von Krone was missing a lot of key things with her costume.

She didn't have her; helmet, sword, or flag on the end of her flag pole.
So all the talk about getting there costumes finished is stupid. That Hilde was far from done.
hilde-sc5render.jpgs02_e0112_castcostumes_08_140312623106.jpg

That might not seem like a big deal, but I love that character's design, and playing her. So seeing those things missing really irks me.

Last edited:
the best hero/villain is stupid to me cause you cant group every character into that category.

Oh man, one year our awards were forced on us by a sponsor.. needless to say not every category got a prize because you don't get a prize for turning up! Stuff goes on behind the scenes that affect the stress levels of the crew vs what is seen. Been a bit bullish and said "no" to suggested changes because I firmly believe the rego form is a contract between me and the cosplayer and I need to uphold my end.

That might not seem like a big deal, but I love that character's design, and playing her. So seeing those things missing really irks me.

I haven't played her but her armour is on my list of "what I'd really love to do but need to actually get involved with the game first" list. I also figure I should go me Queen Elizabeth Tilburne armour first.... If I'm making pretend gothic plate I'll make it fit multipurposes. Also I'm getting up there to represent Good Queen Bess rather more easily than most game characters.

Anyway, clearly this show hasn't played here in NZ but people talk about it so I make it part of my job to understand. Lots of discussion on how the interactions between production people and cosplayers is a help here to know what to do and what not to do and why I'm glad my con respects the vast majority of my rules- which are based on exactly this sort of feedback poistive and negative.

While the Soul Calibur costumes were good. The Hilde Von Krone was missing a lot of key things with her costume.

She didn't have her; helmet, sword, or flag on the end of her flag pole.
So all the talk about getting there costumes finished is stupid. That Hilde was far from done.
View attachment 344580View attachment 344582

My issue was that they got honorable mention. They looked good, but if they had a skit it was not shown and one of the judges complained that he thought Snow White might have just been acting like their characters instead of doing a skit.

I'm almost convinced the SyFy network is having influence on the 'honorable mention' so the cast members can get some kind of recognition for their work. Otherwise, their winning would be few and far between.

one of the judges complained that he thought Snow White might have just been acting like their characters instead of doing a skit.

Okay I haven't yet seen the episode. I watch them on Saturday mornings since I can't fit it in during the week, so I MAY be taking this somehow out of context but... isn't that the POINT of the skit?

My issue was that they got honorable mention. They looked good, but if they had a skit it was not shown and one of the judges complained that he thought Snow White might have just been acting like their characters instead of doing a skit.

What confused me the most, though, is that the Snow White group won "Best Skit" :confused

I gave the most recent episodes a shot even though I was wholly unimpressed with the previous ones.
One word: MEH. I hope this show dies soon as it's actually quite painful to watch it. Anyone who really thinks they're seeing what really happened at these events is seriously deluded. I can't cite sources right now but last season, I read on other forums from people who'd claimed to be at some of the events depicted on the show, saying that the drama was fictional and that awards were skewed to allow the 'stars' to win something.
I'm almost convinced the SyFy network is having influence on the 'honorable mention' so the cast members can get some kind of recognition for their work. Otherwise, their winning would be few and far between.
I'm fully convinced of this.
I am always interested to see how much of the on stage drama is real, fake, or exaggerated.
As with the majority of 'reality TV,' I think the safe answer is most likely fake and exaggerated...

im pretty sure what we saw of the snow white group was not the skit. seeing as they were on screen for about 2 seconds and usually skit requirements are usually: 1-3 mins. it looked more like the end of the skit when they went to the front of the stage to take a bow

So this is the end of the first season and no mention of Dragoncon. I know they filmed there either last year or year before last (drunken haze, cant remember). They saving it for next season or what?

I watch it on the SyFy app and its all listed as 1st season thus my confusion. When did shows start doing 6 episode "seasons"?

In other news I read more into the thread and it seems the whole 10th floor takeover was a confusion and that HOC didn't film at Dragoncon according to Riddle. I find that odd that they wouldn't film a show about cosplay at the single biggest cosplay con in the world.

Woah...I read all of that.
Interesting stuff. All the contest I have entered are just standing in line waiting so I understand their frustration ( A little). Having people yell at you would make it even worse.
I feel like apologizing and I have nothing to do with the show.

I've done two contests in my life. One back ~1993 which was my first time dressing up for a convention and then this past May. I knew going in that we were not going to win a prize. Our costumes were just for hilarity's sake. (We had decided months before to be Jem and the Holograms. When the movie got announced a bit before the convention, we decided to mix it up by being ZOMBIE Jem and the Holograms. Just because that's apparently how we roll.)

I won't do another contest. At least, I won't at Motor City. We waited for hours in a hallway where we were told we weren't supposed to leave even for the restrooms despite people being lined up in front of the restrooms (so we didn't have to go far, like literally 20 steps away from where we were. I went anyway. You can't tell me not to pee!). The 'staff' for the contest were competing. They never announced the judges to us, the people waiting. They took over an hour to deliberate. The whole thing was completely unorganized and the wrangler was a girl (I thought she was a young boy, despite wearing a skin tight vinyl jumpsuit and having the world's squeakiest voice) who kept screaming down the hall instead of walking down the hall to repeat instructions for those who were lined up far away. She was screaming directly into my ear and I was told I was not able to move out of my place in line or sidestep her at all. After waiting for almost two hours with nothing seemingly happening, a friend I was with saw some people down the hall that she knew so she was able to get them to bring us something to drink at least.

My experience pales in comparison to the insanity that the HoC show brings to the table in these convention contests and on one hand, it's nice to know my experience was in comparison a rather good one, but it also makes me sad that the HoC show crew weren't able to help make things run smoother and better. I kinda wonder what's wrong with the crew. I've worked on student films and indie projects with better organization from what I've been reading. Would getting a better crew together for the show help do you guys think? Or are costume contests at conventions doomed to be horrible experiences that take hours and hours of your life without much to show for it in return?

I've done two contests in my life. One back ~1993 which was my first time dressing up for a convention and then this past May. I knew going in that we were not going to win a prize. Our costumes were just for hilarity's sake. (We had decided months before to be Jem and the Holograms. When the movie got announced a bit before the convention, we decided to mix it up by being ZOMBIE Jem and the Holograms. Just because that's apparently how we roll.)

I won't do another contest. At least, I won't at Motor City. We waited for hours in a hallway where we were told we weren't supposed to leave even for the restrooms despite people being lined up in front of the restrooms (so we didn't have to go far, like literally 20 steps away from where we were. I went anyway. You can't tell me not to pee!). The 'staff' for the contest were competing. They never announced the judges to us, the people waiting. They took over an hour to deliberate. The whole thing was completely unorganized and the wrangler was a girl (I thought she was a young boy, despite wearing a skin tight vinyl jumpsuit and having the world's squeakiest voice) who kept screaming down the hall instead of walking down the hall to repeat instructions for those who were lined up far away. She was screaming directly into my ear and I was told I was not able to move out of my place in line or sidestep her at all. After waiting for almost two hours with nothing seemingly happening, a friend I was with saw some people down the hall that she knew so she was able to get them to bring us something to drink at least.

My experience pales in comparison to the insanity that the HoC show brings to the table in these convention contests and on one hand, it's nice to know my experience was in comparison a rather good one, but it also makes me sad that the HoC show crew weren't able to help make things run smoother and better. I kinda wonder what's wrong with the crew. I've worked on student films and indie projects with better organization from what I've been reading. Would getting a better crew together for the show help do you guys think? Or are costume contests at conventions doomed to be horrible experiences that take hours and hours of your life without much to show for it in return?

Well I think that the answer is more obvious...the crew don't really care about anyone else. They're just there to film and make money. That's it. It's not about costuming, it's about making money off the back of bandwagoning folks and yaya han is the poster child of everything wrong with it

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back