Rubbertoe Replicas Announces 11th Doctor Sonic Screwdriver Replica!!!

I can't wait to see this done. Don't just make it pop open though, if you have time to work on it make the spinning claw feature you mentioned in the sonic creation history article on your site. I can't imagine exactly how you would do it but it would be amazing to see the original design vision of the prop brought to life.

Something I have always wanted to make is a modified version of the 11th sonic. So seeing as Im taking a small break for Christmas I am going to make myself one. I spend far too much time running a business these days and really miss messing around in the workshop getting dirty and making cool new stuff. So I asked the CNC machinists to knock me up a set of sonic parts all out of aluminium. I have cast some resin bits up from blue with white and black swirls and also ordered some of the etch marking paint you can use on aluminium on the laser cutter. My plan is to etch some Gallifreyan symbols on the aluminium legs and end cap, I have a few spares so hopefully it should go Ok. I have not used the etch marking paint before so it will be a bit of trial and error. The white handle part I'm thinking of casting out black and the leather handle will remain in black leather. I may mess around with the shape of the beads inside the cage and may add some detail to the extending shaft. One thing I would love to do is add an activation button to extend the sonic and have it extending the full length like the first couple of sonics I made.
Lets see if I get the time to make it, watch this space!
View attachment 416817

I managed to get a few hours over the holidays to work on this. The etch paint seems to work a treat and I have managed to get a good bit of detail on the ali struts. I used some m2 hex head bolts to fix the struts on. Made me think why I never used something similar for the Smith sonic.
View attachment custom sonic1.pdf
View attachment custom sonic2.pdf
View attachment custom sonic3.pdf
View attachment custom sonic4.pdf
I have covered the white handle with leather but don't like it so I'm casting the part in black to see how that looks. I suppose what Im making is a version of this sonic that would suit the current Doctor.

Also how do you upload the photos so they show up on here?

Last edited:
That may be it for a while though, I still have plenty of Smith sonics to make, filming started today on the new series and I've already had a SOS call!

Attachments

• custom sonic4.pdf
    98.4 KB · Views: 225
  • custom sonic3.pdf
    85 KB · Views: 189
  • custom sonic2.pdf
    87.2 KB · Views: 159
  • custom sonic1.pdf
    116.5 KB · Views: 205
Nice one Nick! The Silver/Black color scheme clearly works very well together and the script design just gives the piece a great stylistic look. Very curious to see how the core and emitter will look with this. Sounds like you had a fun break!

Oh and to add a photo you'll want to use this icon here --> add photo.jpg

When I saw you were going to do this Nick I knew it would look freaking awesome. And yep, you nailed it again. Incredible work.

That looks very cool, and a lot like a Sonic the current TARDIS console would pop out. I'm not a fan of the idea of giving 12 a new sonic for the sake of it, but if they kept the current design but with redone cosmetics like yours, I'd be all for it.

I think it's finished for now, well it will have to be as I have to get on with the real sonic.

photo 1.jpgphoto 6.jpgphoto4.jpgphoto 7.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 8.jpgphoto 5.jpgphoto 9.jpg

Attachments

• photo4.JPG.pdf
    78.3 KB · Views: 170
  • photo 9.JPG.pdf
    309.7 KB · Views: 152
  • photo 8.JPG.pdf
    89.2 KB · Views: 160
  • photo 7.JPG.pdf
    116.1 KB · Views: 180
  • photo 6.JPG.pdf
    78.1 KB · Views: 181
  • photo 5.JPG.pdf
    95.5 KB · Views: 147
  • photo 3.JPG.pdf
    114.9 KB · Views: 172
  • photo 1.JPG.pdf
    134.7 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
I think it's finished for now, well it will have to be as I have to get on with the real sonic.

Still cant get the images on here?

View attachment 423799
View attachment 423800
View attachment 423801
View attachment 423802
View attachment 423803
View attachment 423804
View attachment 423805
View attachment 423806

That looks absolutely brilliant! I love how the new blue color of the emitter and extending shaft matches with the silver and black! Something that would suit more to Capaldi (even though I would like him to get a new sonic atleast on his 3-4ish series as the doctor)! All it really needs now is the button that you mentioned that extends the extending shaft! Good job man, a very Rubbertoe rendition of the sonic!

Still cant get the images on here?

View attachment 423799
View attachment 423800
View attachment 423801
View attachment 423802
View attachment 423803
View attachment 423804
View attachment 423805
View attachment 423806
Those are PDF files not standard image files so they will not show up like a normal image file would. You need to convert them to .jpg or find originals that are already in that format.

At last the Magician gets his wand!I ;) I think that this is so in keeping with the console room of last season. (im saying last season incase they change it for this) Yeah, the colours are miles better. No offence but Matts 1st Console room & sonic, tho mirrored each other, were not my favourite. However, saying that I always liked the bulb shape and the collar around the Sonic. Such a shame IMO that the claws covered them up. Do, did you keep this new one the same size?

At last the Magician gets his wand!I ;) I think that this is so in keeping with the console room of last season. (im saying last season incase they change it for this) Yeah, the colours are miles better. No offence but Matts 1st Console room & sonic, tho mirrored each other, were not my favourite. However, saying that I always liked the bulb shape and the collar around the Sonic. Such a shame IMO that the claws covered them up. Do, did you keep this new one the same size?
The Aluminum and Blue Sonic is the same size.... I held it for but a Moment at Gallifrey One, my wife and I do prefer it over the Copper, but I did get his Copper one in case he doesn't make the Aluminum one...

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back