3d Printed Minigun Replica

watsonstudios

Just thought I'd show off my minigun I've been working on for about the last 3 years (on & off) I Started creating the CAD files about 3 years ago from actual minigun parts. I reverse engineered the parts and created the CAD models (in Spaceclaim) The receiver I created from actual blueprints since this is the registered part of the gun. I received my 3d printer about the end of January and have been printing minigun parts ever since. Everything on the gun is 3d printed except the fasteners and the stainless steel tube inserts in the barrels for rigidity. The gun assembles and disassembles exactly like the real thing. The feeder actually feeds but I don't think it will strip a round from a link, not unless I modify the links to hold a lot looser, Remember, the pushrods are only plastic. I have many hours in the finishing of the 3d printed parts. My printer is the Type A Machines Series 1, your typical plastic extruder printer. You can see the post on their site of my progress here: Type A Machines Forum | View topic - Minigun project I'll try to post as many pics as I can. I'm still working on the mount system. It will be mounted on the MK-16 style Naval mount. Eventually want to make a handheld mount (Terminator or Predator style) I even 3d printed the ammo feed chute, which took 1.5 hours per link to print. I'm quite happy with the outcome. Even an expert will have a hard time telling mine from a real one without actually picking it up (it only weighs about 7 pounds, 1/10th of a real one) Enjoy the pics. :)

Attachments

• parts09.jpg
    parts09.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 1,506
  • parts05.jpg
    parts05.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 1,385
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 1,200
  • assembled08.jpg
    assembled08.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 1,254
  • assembled06.jpg
    assembled06.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 2,594
  • assembled03.jpg
    assembled03.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 1,859
  • assembled02.jpg
    assembled02.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 1,339
  • assembled01.jpg
    assembled01.jpg
    433.5 KB · Views: 1,842
  • chute links.jpg
    chute links.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 2,799
  • chute gun end.jpg
    chute gun end.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 2,866
  • yardstick.jpg
    yardstick.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 2,340
  • solid02.jpg
    solid02.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 1,414
  • mini_progress02.jpg
    mini_progress02.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 1,353
  • mini01.jpg
    mini01.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 1,228
  • aluminum bushings.jpg
    aluminum bushings.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 1,040
  • barrel printing.jpg
    barrel printing.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 1,069
  • body work.jpg
    body work.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 1,287
  • FD2.jpg
    FD2.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 1,063
  • FD parts1.jpg
    FD parts1.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 1,407
  • feeder parts2.jpg
    feeder parts2.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 1,217
  • painted2.jpg
    painted2.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 1,247
  • part2.jpg
    part2.jpg
    942.3 KB · Views: 1,185
That's incredible! The detail on that piece is amazing, and the finish is indistinguishable from a real one. Props man!

-Mili

That's incredible! The detail on that piece is amazing, and the finish is indistinguishable from a real one. Props man!

-Mili

Thanks! I used Model Master Metalizer lacquers for the finish with a flat black base coat then dull coat over top. The Metalizer gives it a subtle metallic sheen that's perfect for a parkerized-type finish. It works great!

Here's a few more pics. The bearings that actually allow the rotor to rotate were also 3d printed. I used 6mm airsoft bb's for the ball bearings. You can see the slight metallic sheen on the barrels.

Attachments

• parts02.jpg
    parts02.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 796
  • parts08.jpg
    parts08.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 2,635
  • parts07.jpg
    parts07.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 796
  • parts04.jpg
    parts04.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 614
  • parts01.jpg
    parts01.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 651
It isn't easy to get that kind of finish on 3D printed parts. Did you have to make them all slightly bigger to account for sanding?

It isn't easy to get that kind of finish on 3D printed parts. Did you have to make them all slightly bigger to account for sanding?
No, didn't account for material removal but the best way to finish 3d printed parts is to fill first, then sand back down. I use Duplicolor High Build filler primer. I spray on 3 - 4 coats then sand. PLA plastic is not fun to sand so this way you are sanding 90% filler and not much plastic, makes it easier.

That is SPECTACULAR. The level of detail, you'll be getting military museums at your door looking to add to their collections. Again, just amazing work. (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

Amazing! I've got a Lulzbot and would love to try printing some of the parts for a MECH costume I'm working on.
Did you make the .stl files available?
Thanks

Amazing! I've got a Lulzbot and would love to try printing some of the parts for a MECH costume I'm working on.
Did you make the .stl files available?
Thanks
I think the CAD files will stay with me and the person that lent me the parts to make them. I may create a simpler version of the gun, one that can be cast easier for resin copies and for displaying on vehicles or aircraft. We'll see.

Your build is amazing. Congratulations, excellent work.

I co-own a range that rents out miniguns, and I've built some replicas using real and fake parts for props. I am friends with one of the creators of the Predator minigun and I was fortunate to have him donate some leftover parts from that movie gun. Here is a link to an RPF thread on minis that shows many photos of my miniguns.

http://www.therpf.com/f9/predator-minigun-setup-8188/

I included pics of the build so perhaps that will help a little. I am constantly tinkering with them. I acquired some more G.I. M-134 odds and ends. I will mount them up as soon as I have time.

I have a bunch of literature, TM's, etc. on the M134. LMK if I can help.

Last edited:
Thanks eltee. Once I decide which handheld setup I want to do, I will be looking for reference pics. Most of the pics in the link you posted are missing. Maybe the page is too old? The only thing I don't like about that Predator gun I've seen here on the RPF is the main gun itself. I don't know if it's a toy or an airsoft but these lack a lot of detail overall. I know it's a manufacturing issue, the minigun receiver and feeder/delinker are very complex and probably very hard machine as a replica, especially in aluminum or other metal. Even the minigun in Iron Man II, the one Hammer was holding when they were arming the War Machine, was an airsoft. It was sooooo obvious, at least to me. The dead givaway on all of these replicas and airsofts is the lack of the rectangular hole right below the "ROTATION" text near the front of the receiver. They put an indentation there, but not very deep. There are many other details missing as well. For the average person, this is really no big deal, but I would like to fool even the experts so I have every detail in mine.

My gun is based off the original M-134, not the Dillon version (M-134D). I like the original better. I may create the same type of flash hider like on the Dillon but that's it. I'll either make it removable or make a second barrel clamp with the flash hider integrated.

Right now I'm working on the MK-16 Naval mount for the gun. I like it better than your average tripod. I attached a couple pics of what I've done so far and a pic of the actual mount on a real gun. Then I need to make the spade grip.

The first pic is the real deal, which mine will look like very soon. :)

Attachments

• yolk4.jpg
    yolk4.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 707
  • yolk3.jpg
    yolk3.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 659
  • yolk2.jpg
    yolk2.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 627
  • MK-16 mount.jpg
    MK-16 mount.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 1,562
this brings a tear to my eye beautiful work man the attention to detail is second to none.
you're not stopping by San Diego comic con are you?

this brings a tear to my eye beautiful work man the attention to detail is second to none.
you're not stopping by San Diego comic con are you?

Thanks! No, not going to be in the area. I would like to display this thing around once I'm finished but not sure where to do that yet. I'm new to this arena. I just loved the minigun ever since I saw it in Predator back in the 80's. I just can't believe I've finally built a full scale replica, damn!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back