Rogue One Vader costume

I'm confused because I am pretty sure that Brian Muir himself did the Vader in R1. I'm just confused. Provide me clarity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very early on, Brian announced his involvement and that two suits were made. I can't find the original wording he posted on RPF. But then his online participation vanished, and we assumed it was due to his work schedule on the production. At the time of his posting, he didn't say he was charged to source the helmet, nor did he indicate which molds the helmets came from. His role seemed to ensure artistic oversight in how the costume came together, and that it aligned with an ANH design.

There are different aspects of the costume: sourcing, scanning, 3D printing, finishing, painting & assembly, and then putting the entire costume together. That he was not involved in all aspects does not preclude Brian from still having some involvement.

The next person who gets to see him and ask, please update us!

Many congrats, Mac! Truly inspirational, just goes to show a lot of dedication and hard work will eventually pay off and be recognized. I dream of owning a Quasimodo one day, I just hope this new revelation doesn't mean a price hike. :p

While I appreciate Quasimodo being part of the Rogue One Vader, it's not going to go to my head. While I may not be part of Bookface's business, I recommend a certain price range to him based on what competing vendors charge, and some charge more than him, so that he does not undervalue it given the emotional investment that went into its making it, but it still needs to be affordable.

A while back, we discussed a Rogue One / Chronicles (from the book Star Wars Chronicles) paint treatment of Quasimodo. For those unfamiliar, Chronicles used photos from a shoot taken after the ANH production where the screen-used was repainted, and much of the weathering was gone. This was primarily done as an emotion study to see if it would have the same "vibe" as Quasimodo ANH, ESB and ROTJ where our artistic goal was to evoke the presence and emotion of the character - which is a different approach than trying to achieve "accuracy" but the results is an inert piece of fiberglass.

I'm still studying photos of the R1 to see how we can make a Quasi look like a slam-dunk R1, and of course, I want to do more than just cut lines in the tusk tubes and have Bookface paint it Chronicles style, as that would only achieve a generic likeness.

So, some pics on Facebook:

Chronicles look:
https://www.facebook.com/sculptingv...586583063012/1280162422072090/?type=3&theater

Rogue One look:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/sculptingvader/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1235789423176057

In the above links, an unmodified Quasimodo ANH was used. The difference was just swapping out the red lenses for black to test it for the Chronicles look.

The thing that we discussed was the look of the Rogue One dome being extremely pristine, and Bookface attempted to hand polish it, and did a beautiful job. This requires more time and effort on his part, as this level of polishing requires manual effort and individual attention, so he has to charge more, and he makes this available upon special request. The Rogue One design was not my original intention from an artistic standpoint. I needed to go through this exercise to ensure the film character's "vibe" would still work in my sculpt.

I'm also trying to figure out with him if the screen look can be emulated without hand polishing to that extent so that the price of a theoretical Quasi R1 could be at the same price as his OT helmets.

Amazing, i feel proud to own 2 Quasi's!

So, when you find out about the dome, can we expect an accurate R1 Quasi helmet? :)

Rich

It's something I've been pondering and studying since last year, but now that I've actually seen the film, and it's made such an emotional impact on me, I would be very interested in making a homage to the film. From a fine arts standpoint, there is a lot I can emotionally invest into the work given Quasi's connection with the film and what the film and OT saga mean to me. So.... back to studying photos. I'm getting my Rogue One Blu-Ray today!

Just wanted to add something to the fact that the R1 helmet had tell tale 'reveal' features. I was asked last minute if I could supply a reveal collar to the costume department so I stayed up all night and put one together using all my original parts. It was on the set on stand-by, but sadly didn't make it into the movie.

Just wanted to add something to the fact that the R1 helmet had tell tale 'reveal' features. I was asked last minute if I could supply a reveal collar to the costume department so I stayed up all night and put one together using all my original parts. It was on the set on stand-by, but sadly didn't make it into the movie.

Wow! That would have been awesome.

Let me offer a different "certain point of view"! From an artistic and storytelling/dramatic standpoint, there was a lot at stake. Rogue One was not one of the main Episodes which could have resulted in diminished importance in fans' eyes. But when I finally saw Rogue One, I was struck with a great deal of emotions to where it was of greater importance to me than TFA.

From the level of passion and attention to detail in Rogue One's making, it was clear the intention was not to just make a "here's one too" movie. It was to insert something that was extremely important directly into the storytelling timeline. And achieving emotional affinity with so many characters within the span of only one film is not an easy thing to accomplish. That the crew of Rogue One and all the supporting Rebels in their fighters and on the ground gave their lives to get that little data disc into Leia's hands hit me so hard, that it gave me a profound appreciation for A New Hope.

The director's minimal use of Vader was perfect, following the "less is more" otherwise we'd want a full Vader film, and that might end up diluting the character down. I watched Rogue One very late in the game after reading on RPF people pointing out problems with the armor, the cod, and how the lighting/mood or lens colors weren't right, etc. I was watching for enjoyment, but also trying to study the helmet from a prop standpoint (which is quite distracting).

The closing scene culminates with such ferocity, energy and desperation that it eclipsed any problems I had with the parts of the costume not either appearing right or interoperating with other parts incorrectly all quickly vanished in the action. I saw the face of Vader and felt fear for the first time regarding him - and this is coming from a guy who has been working on Vader projects for 10 years.

And all those lives, their hopes, their sacrifices, their pain. Those rebels died not knowing if their mission had truly succeeded or not. I was gripped by that realization and felt a pang of loss. In that, the director, Gareth Edwards, succeeded in drawing me into the Star Wars universe and making me believe again.

So I have absolutely no problem with - as Captain Jack Sparrow would say - "borrowing without permission" because if you focused solely on the upper third of Vader in the ending scene, it was enough to be held in the scene's emotional grip. I couldn't be more grateful that Quasimodo played a part in that, but that scene and what it means to me is far greater than Quasimodo as a mask or helmet. It means I have a movie with emotional momentum that will live with me the next 40 years.
Very well said sir. As far as I'm concerned Vader looked perfect in Rogue One. :D

Very well said sir. As far as I'm concerned Vader looked perfect in Rogue One. :D

When ROTS came out, I was one of those OT purists who felt it was disappointment because ROTS was such a different animal. But when I set out and began sculpt my own ROTS mask, it was an incredible challenge artistically as I was not using any help other than a mirror. In that process, I found beauty and appreciation for it.

I want to suspend my OT biases because Rogue One means something to people emotionally, so I'd like to do a proper rendition of it.

I've been studying the dome on the Rogue One very carefully and I think the 3D artists might have narrowed the mask. The dome may have also been tweaked. Beyond the obvious ANH characteristics, there are some things such as the facial opening of the dome that remind me of some of the ROTJ sources such as the Don Post Deluxe.

Bookface and I are also in discussion to explore this and will provide me with a Quasimodo ANH mask with a Quasimodo ROTJ dome to play with. I have a mental checklist of observations and a mental model of dome structure and dome positioning that I'd like to start exploring.

Wish me luck - I've been out of practice for some time now, but I hope I can come close to what you saw on the screen.

- - - Updated - - -

A full pre-ANH Reveal would have been interesting!

Are you also selling only a facemask of the Quasimodo from R1?

Everything I do which ends up being made and offered by Bookface is a holistic art project and a complete experience. Just as Quasimodo was never allowed to be sold as an unpainted kit, nor did I allow parts of it to be sold individually, if we do manage to achieve an R1 it will be a fully painted and complete helmet because every part is sculpted to contribute towards a specific artistic vision and intention.

Are you thinking of doing an R1 Reveal? Your work with Reveals are incredible. Although the cut lines in the upper tubes hint at a Reveal configuration, the collar or crown parts were not seen on R1, and as a fan of Brian Muir's original work, I prefer to honor the ANH intention of his sculpt. [emoji106]

Ok,I understand your point.A complete helmet is always a great offer.But if you want all your different Vaderhelmets with the same black and gunmetal paint its better to buy them in kits.
I wanted a Quasimodo facemask only to make some shots with different Vaderdomes I can find to match the Original on screen.Because we know that they used a dome from another source.
About the Revealmask:Thanks.A R1 Reveal would be also awesome..but I must finish my actual Revealproject first.A complete Reveal is really a big project if you want it very accurate.But for a R1 version it must be not 100% like the ROTJ-version because no Originalprop was used in the movie.So its like with the ANH-helmet..you have more artistic license.;)

Ok,I understand your point.A complete helmet is always a great offer.But if you want all your different Vaderhelmets with the same black and gunmetal paint its better to buy them in kits.

I can appreciate that your personal collecting goals it's "better to buy them in kits" so you can have color consistency, but that is what a prop replica kit like the generic Darth Ugly is for. With Quasimodo, we view that as a sculpture (though wearable) and it represents our fine arts approach of sculpting with the intention of evoking the presence and emotion of the character. To do that, it has to be treated holistically - and, thus, the paint is part of the art. I'm sorry you don't see it that way and that the paint work can be dismissed for your color preferences, but we decided on color and finish to best represent the mood of the character based on our artistic goals.

If you find a dome on which you believe the R1 is based, please do share. As a fine arts approach, I prefer to work from 2D photos and have different angles to study, and craft my work so that it's not a kitbash or a recast of someone else's work, so that a possible Quasimodo R1 would - from mask to helmet - be something worked upon intentionally to resemble the R1 screen-used.

Last edited:
Are you also selling only a facemask of the Quasimodo from R1?

We've always said no to splitting parts up, with the reasoning that Mac and I have both worked hard to make sure the face and dome work well together. I've tried the Quasi ANH face with various other domes that I have (with varying degrees of lineage) and honestly, none work as well as the dome we use with it. So to part out pieces risks people putting it with something unsuitable (however well intentioned) and other people looking at it and saying "Urgh, that's a Quasi? That looks awful!", when in reality it's just been paired with a badly fitting dome. This can happen to any mask too.

I understand why you like kits but in this case, it's not going to happen, sorry!

I mentioned before that I think that it was Spencer Wilding who played Vader in Rogue One during the "Prepare a boarding party." scene but now I'm not quite sure. Does anyone know for sure if it was Wilding or Naprous that played Vader in that particular scene aboard Vader's Star Destroyer?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back