Blade Runner 2049

Agreed. However, I do think the theatrical cut has its place. Even though the Final cut is VASTLY superior, I felt my experience was enhanced by having previously seen the theater version. I had background information (about scenes & characters) in my head, providing insight that someone who hadn't seen the original film wouldn't have had.

But like you, I haven't watched the theatrical cut since the first Director's Cut was released.

Agreed. I had my wife ask me why it matters that Leon had photos... I basically regurgitated the narration to her (I didn't want her to see the narration version)

So it had it's use!

To anyone I recommend watching the original theatrical release first. Honestly I found nothing wrong with it back then or now, I can watch either and I think they compliment each other.
Plus read DADOES or the excellent comic adaption from a few years back that was word-for-word from the book. I hadn't read the book in decades
and the comic adaption was really great way to re-visit.

When I saw it in 1982 the film was visually arresting and engaging ... but a lot of people, including me, had a facepalm-laugh when the voice-over goes, "All he's wanted was the same answers as the rest of us want. Where do I come from?" The narration, like Fran Drescher's voice, throws a wrench in something that was once otherwise beautiful.

Zhora`s retirement in the final cut was elevated to the point it made me tear up a little after seeing it for the first time and leaving Deck`s red eyes in when they could have easily been fixed was a real show mans call.

To anyone I recommend watching the original theatrical release first. Honestly I found nothing wrong with it back then or now, I can watch either and I think they compliment each other.
Plus read DADOES or the excellent comic adaption from a few years back that was word-for-word from the book. I hadn't read the book in decades
and the comic adaption was really great way to re-visit.

Agree. I actually don't mind the theatrical cut with the narration at all, as that was the first version I saw and assumed it was going for the Private Detective film noir narration.
Also agree with the Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep comic. I have it in both the hardcover volume issues and the single packaged trade paperback.
There is also a Blade Runner prequel comic called Do Androids Dreams of Electric Sheep: Dust to Dust that I recommend. In that one it actually tells you at the very start the Blade Runner is a combat model military grade replicant who was sent from the offworld colonies back to earth to deal with some rogues. It gives a lot more information on the state of the earth and government after World War Terminus.

dust%u00252Bto%u00252Bdust%u00252B1.jpg

Last edited:
I said it before and I'll say it again. If Deckard is a replicant he's a pretty lousy one.

I think Deck is an amazing rep! He has the implanted memories of human Deck so he also has the insecurities and self doubt of human Deck. He knows the boundaries of his "human" body so he stays within his boundaries. I like to think that he was activated right after Holden was taken out by Leon, and hasn't lived long enough to know he can do amazing things. Deck takes a beating from Zhora (kick murder squad) and then Leon (can lift 400 pound atomic charges all day), then after a sip of vodka and a three minute nap he's fit as a fiddle. That doesn't sound human to me. A super being that doesn't know it's capabilities and is operating under the parameters of a weak human makes the movie more interesting and more human to me. I'm just hoping that 2049 leaves this question unanswered, so I can keep thinking Deck is a rep without an expiration date.

As for my thoughts on Gaff. He's a human that has been assigned to watch over rep Deck. Gaff is always in the shadows behind Deck, but never seems to help-- even while searching Leon's apartment he does nothing to help Deck. He's only there as a handler. Why did Gaff let Deck live after his job was done? Same answer as why did Gaff let Rachel live-- who knows?

Fans have been divided over this issue for so many years, and there is good evidence for both sides. I think you should just believe whatever makes the movie better for you. When I saw the original release I had zero thoughts that Deck was anything but human. Then I saw the re-release where the unicorn was added, and it blew my mind to think that Deck could be a replicant!

I think Deck is an amazing rep! He has the implanted memories of human Deck so he also has the insecurities and self doubt of human Deck. He knows the boundaries of his "human" body so he stays within his boundaries. I like to think that he was activated right after Holden was taken out by Leon, and hasn't lived long enough to know he can do amazing things. Deck takes a beating from Zhora (kick murder squad) and then Leon (can lift 400 pound atomic charges all day), then after a sip of vodka and a three minute nap he's fit as a fiddle. That doesn't sound human to me. A super being that doesn't know it's capabilities and is operating under the parameters of a weak human makes the movie more interesting and more human to me. I'm just hoping that 2049 leaves this question unanswered, so I can keep thinking Deck is a rep without an expiration date.

As for my thoughts on Gaff. He's a human that has been assigned to watch over rep Deck. Gaff is always in the shadows behind Deck, but never seems to help-- even while searching Leon's apartment he does nothing to help Deck. He's only there as a handler. Why did Gaff let Deck live after his job was done? Same answer as why did Gaff let Rachel live-- who knows?

Fans have been divided over this issue for so many years, and there is good evidence for both sides. I think you should just believe whatever makes the movie better for you. When I saw the original release I had zero thoughts that Deck was anything but human. Then I saw the re-release where the unicorn was added, and it blew my mind to think that Deck could be a replicant!
Nah.

I think it's something that Scott tried to start doing but retreated from baking into the movie because it became problematic. But then he saw that fans started debating this issue so he did everything he could to keep the debate alive by making cryptic statements to the press.

So Deckard is designed to be a replicant hunter but he can't even outfight a basic pleasure model? Then there's his lousy marksmanship - even Rachel (who isn't even engineered for fighting) can do a head shot but Deckard needs several rounds to drop Zora who was running in a straight line away from him. Leon was battering him about like a cat playing with a mouse - those weren't killing blows until he put his fingers over Deckard's eyes. Zhora struck him twice to get him off her and wanted to strangle him. Both opportunities were thwarted. His ability to take damage isn't superhuman.

So there.

Deck as rep as Fancher said, it becomes far too complicated.
It's goes into conspiracy theory to keep it alive, all kinds of things have to be explained
and the plausibility collapses.

Nah.

I think it's something that Scott tried to start doing but retreated from baking into the movie because it became problematic. But then he saw that fans started debating this issue so he did everything he could to keep the debate alive by making cryptic statements to the press.

So Deckard is designed to be a replicant hunter but he can't even outfight a basic pleasure model? Then there's his lousy marksmanship - even Rachel (who isn't even engineered for fighting) can do a head shot but Deckard needs several rounds to drop Zora who was running in a straight line away from him. Leon was battering him about like a cat playing with a mouse - those weren't killing blows until he put his fingers over Deckard's eyes. Zhora struck him twice to get him off her and wanted to strangle him. Both opportunities were thwarted. His ability to take damage isn't superhuman.

So there.

I think it had to play put like that anyway otherwise it would just be Blade Runner : The Avengers.

Could play along the lines of "Deckard`s an experiment, nothing more" Tyrells playing God and manipulates everything. If he has the gig of "making" the Police, which is exactly what is happening if Deck is a Rep. every aspect of how to exploit that would be explored by him.

If the story is good, and keeps your attention, it could be 1.5hrs, or 3hrs , and you'll be entertained either way. Inception is a perfect example of a movie that kept drawing you in deeper and deeper until the very last second. If BR49 can create a story that slowly unfolds and reveals a pay off in the end, I'll be entertained.

The old 1997 Westwood Blade Runner PC game is still one of my all time favorites. I bought my first PC just for that game, which I bought a year before I even owned the PC.

I actually picked that up a while ago from the Goodwill gaming store in Tallahassee. Haven't played it yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back