DL-44 ESB Blaster Discussion - Greeblies POST 208

-Flash hider is 100% aluminium. The exposed bits had minor scratches on, its definitely aluminium.
-Behind the flash hider looks darkened black.

-The mgc barrel was cut approx 1cm shorter than the edge of the flash hider. Its plugged and the plug is black.
-Inside the hood of the flash hider is darkened with the same weathering as on the outside.
-It is a black rattle can overspray weathering job.
-The lines are not pencil, it's like a 2mm marker pen. A little translucent or perhaps ink fading has occured.

-The spacer is made from 2 things. An approx 8mm brass thing, straight edges. Ontop of this is some silvery metal thats about 2mm thick. They are identical diameters and are about 2.5mm wider in diameter than the thorens above.
-Actually, the thinner spacer component looked the same thickness as the thorens but was 2.5mm (ish) wider.

-Thorens staining is a grey gloopy looking filler or glue that is unknown to me. Its about 1cm in diameter but irregular as you'd expect. It's slightly glossy in an irregular way. The closest colour match I can think of is the old lego light grey colour.

-Thorens is screwed on with phillips screws. Maybe 3.5 or 4mm screw heads, domed head. Don't know the official engineer name - panhead?
-The screws don't overhang the thorens at all. Theyre flush with the edge completely.

to be official and thorough :)

mortifactor

Thanks for all the information.

As chubsANDdoggers has shown what this can look like, I'm going follow what you noted and see how much it'll cost for me to get those 3 parts made (disk on top, disk underneath and a brass tube). I've got a real Thoren's disk and it simply isn't thick enough. Your photo shows it isn't a Thoren's disk, just the same diameter.

Looks goofy being that far from the pistol body, but that's what it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
@mortifactor

Thanks for all the information.

As @chubsANDdoggers has shown what this can look like, I'm going follow what you noted and see how much it'll cost for me to get those 3 parts made (disk on top, disk underneath and a brass tube). I've got a real Thoren's disk and it simply isn't thick enough. Your photo shows it isn't a Thoren's disk, just the same diameter.

Looks goofy being that far from the pistol body, but that's what it is.

it does look goofy :lol

make sure your spacers are identical diameters, they're not the same as the ex-thorens disc...

to be official and thorough :)

I was just looking to re-find this info. Thanks for reposting. Just updated my design with those numbers (2mm & 8mm and = diameter) and separated them so I can rebuild it with the silver and gold [emoji106]

259343f410c0a0c21ef40410992dc572.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
What if they just cut the actual bearing down to a shorter length and used that as the spacer, leaving the thin disk on it and placing that between the bracket and the pistol body?
The seal between the disc and bearing holding it in place.
The disk on top could have been a steel blank that was meant to be stamped to make the Thoren's disk itself.

Here's Lichtbringer 's vintage TD 124 bearing:

TD 124 bearing 003.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Still waiting on some phillips heads from China ( :darnkids ) and they're 40 mm

I drilled through my gun for better or worse, and the nuts + Gun body + this spacer + Bracket + 3mm aluminum disc equals 40mm !
DSCN3832.JPG

Interested in seeing how the bolts line up on the other side compared to the placement of the piston halves.

Do they match?

I looked for this at the exhibition and they didn't line up.
I'm still not convinced. I'm not saying you saw what you saw. But going through the magwell, the bolts don't necessarily have to go through in a perfect horizontal line. There can be a little wiggle room, up, down and side to side for the bolt to come out the other side.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I'm still not convinced. I'm not saying you saw what you saw. But going through the magwell, the bolts don't necessarily have to go through in a perfect horizontal line. There can be a little wiggle room, up, down and side to side for the bolt to come out the other side.

I got down on the floor in the exhibition like a freak to have a look from the bottom :lol, it looked like a total mismatch. I think each side is just bolted individually with the nuts on the hollow inside part where the bullets are meant to go.

I got down on the floor in the exhibition like a freak to have a look from the bottom :lol, it looked like a total mismatch. I think each side is just bolted individually with the nuts on the hollow inside part where the bullets are meant to go.
Yea I was just saying how I made an irreversible change to my Denix :(

2 questions - do you like my bracket disc a few posts back? (#886) And what did the ex-nuts on the sides of the Pistons look like to you?

Yea I was just saying how I made an irreversible change to my Denix :(

2 questions - do you like my bracket disc a few posts back? (#886) And what did the ex-nuts on the sides of the Pistons look like to you?

The brass tube with the silvery end looks interesting and quite authentic, even if it isn't the real part. I'd like to see it put together. I'm not sure where the thoren disc is meant to fit in though. Does the brass part have a lip? I don't remember there being one. I would have written it down if it had a feature like that.

I can't remember what the piston was held on by, bolts I assume. I'll check my notes, I thought that side was pictured well enough and it was very hard to see in the position the gun was on display in.

The brass tube with the silvery end looks interesting and quite authentic, even if it isn't the real part. I'd like to see it put together. I'm not sure where the thoren disc is meant to fit in though. Does the brass part have a lip? I don't remember there being one. I would have written it down if it had a feature like that.

I can't remember what the piston was held on by, bolts I assume. I'll check my notes, I thought that side was pictured well enough and it was very hard to see in the position the gun was on display in.
I altered this a bit - let me know if it rings any bells immediately :) (going for the state dependent memory trick here) the plate is a little less than 3 mm the silvery section underneath the bracket is 2mm

and thank you!!! The spacer is two sections of pipe JB welded together. The silvery part is actually rather thin walled so I built it up with JB weld too

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    435 KB · Views: 142
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    327.1 KB · Views: 152
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    511 KB · Views: 141
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    319.4 KB · Views: 133
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    253.6 KB · Views: 138
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    637.3 KB · Views: 149
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    519.6 KB · Views: 153
Looks pretty convincing! I'd say the "Thorens" would be a little closer to the thickness of the silver pipe on the other side, but it looks like you're just using a placeholder for the moment, anyway.

Nice work! Where'd you source the pipes?

Thanks! It's actually not a placeholder, believe it or not that's 3mm aluminum. It's a tad thicker than the bracket and I think you're right, the plate is almost the same as the bracket in thickness. Meh haha

newmargatharea helped me get the brass and the silver ring I picked out of a bucket of useless hardware from some exercise or weightlifting thing at a thrift store. Lots of spacers and Allen screws which was cool!

i plan on epoxy ing the right sized thing and painting it all black, then ripping the center off leaving epoxy or grey JB weld or whatever and a chipped ring of black

*edit* found out the Boba Debt brackets are 3.07 mm roughly and this disc is 3.22 mm. Boba Debts brackets are beveled and rounded at the bottom, so they look around 2mm or less on edge, which can throw off builds that are based on eyeballing :lol

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back