LIGHTSABER - OBI-WAN KENOBI - REAL PARTS BUILD - THE JOURNEY HAS BEGUN!~Ridire Firean

Re: LIGHTSABER - OBI-WAN KENOBI - REAL PARTS BUILD - THE JOURNEY HAS BEGUN!~Ridire Fi

I just want to drop in and say I'm friggin FURIOUS that my workplace has new firewalls that disable images on this forum.

And yeah, jump on the booster. What a nightmare finding that was.

Though when I did, it was a steal!

But then he also didn't have any idea what he had.

Re: LIGHTSABER - OBI-WAN KENOBI - REAL PARTS BUILD - THE JOURNEY HAS BEGUN!~Ridire Fi

Not to beat the dead horse but if you have the means, acquire the booster now.

It's loss will haunt you while you search forums late into endless nights, dealing with the shady underbelly of gun dealers the world over in search of another precious.

this is a beautiful piece... my god. i hope to one day have something like this. while we are on the subject of boosters, can someone tell me where the hole in thread near the sink knob, what orientation that belongs at?

How do you guys tell if you have a genuine booster? I would jump on it as long as the financial strain is not too much. Although you can't say that and go for the Obi at the same time. The booster, grenade, and balance pipe compose the holy trinity of the Obi so I would jump on it.

this is a beautiful piece... my god. i hope to one day have something like this. while we are on the subject of boosters, can someone tell me where the hole in thread near the sink knob, what orientation that belongs at?

Danny, I'm not sure if there is an end-all-be-all correct orientation for the weldment hole in the booster. I've seen boosters with two holes before! Also, there is a small "pin hole" located between two booster vanes that I have also seen in various locations in relation to the weldment hole in the threaded area. I've also seen boosters with two of these pin holes and some with only one.

How do you guys tell if you have a genuine booster? I would jump on it as long as the financial strain is not too much. Although you can't say that and go for the Obi at the same time. The booster, grenade, and balance pipe compose the holy trinity of the Obi so I would jump on it.

Heartblade, there are a couple of ways to tell:

1) the peaks of the booster vanes are typically sharper (more pointed and thinner) than the repros that I've seen.
2) real boosters will be parkerized everywhere except on the inner surface which will be chromed. This was developed some time during the Mark II cycle due to the caliber of the Browning being too small for the high rate of fire. These two factors combined to create too much fouling in the bore of the original boosters which were entirely parkerized. The chroming was done to help facilitate the ejection of gases, debris, etc. during rapid cycling.
3) generally speaking, real boosters tend to be nasty dirty. And I don't mean like a booster has been sitting in a barn for 50 years collecting dust sort of way. I mean grimey greasy nastiness, but that isn't always the case, just usually.

Here are some comparison shots from when I finally got my 1st booster. Note the sharpness of the fins on the vintage one on the left; Roman's excellent replica on the right.
This particular vintage booster is now in the Teecrooz National Star Wars Museum.

IMG_7375.JPGIMG_7373.JPG

Danny, I'm not sure if there is an end-all-be-all correct orientation for the weldment hole in the booster. I've seen boosters with two holes before! Also, there is a small "pin hole" located between two booster vanes that I have also seen in various locations in relation to the weldment hole in the threaded area. I've also seen boosters with two of these pin holes and some with only one.

Heartblade, there are a couple of ways to tell:

1) the peaks of the booster vanes are typically sharper (more pointed and thinner) than the repros that I've seen.
2) real boosters will be parkerized everywhere except on the inner surface which will be chromed. This was developed some time during the Mark II cycle due to the caliber of the Browning being too small for the high rate of fire. These two factors combined to create too much fouling in the bore of the original boosters which were entirely parkerized. The chroming was done to help facilitate the ejection of gases, debris, etc. during rapid cycling.
3) generally speaking, real boosters tend to be nasty dirty. And I don't mean like a booster has been sitting in a barn for 50 years collecting dust sort of way. I mean grimey greasy nastiness, but that isn't always the case, just usually.

Thank you Andy, I never knew the boosters could have two! Well that makes it a lot easier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UGH! You guys are giving me grey hairs! I totally see at least four new hairs sprouting out of my sideburns since yesterday. To me this literally equates to buying an engagement ring... to an expensive trophy queen. At least she won't talk back. HA! JK ladies. I guess I'll have to see if the seller will budge a bit on the $$$.$$. and pull the trigger on it.

Oh that's easy, you don't need either. We don't know if either was under the clamp.
Well, that's true, we've never seen it, but I like what Edraven99, and others have done with both the BEARING NUT, and the FLASH HIDER. Especially since it makes sense that the Chronicles Obi-Wan has a cotter pin poking through the GRAFLEX Clamp. That makes it real easy to hold the two pieces together utilizing the holey-washer-rings of either BOOSTER accessory. I think I even know a guy that has a bunch of VINTAGE COTTER PINS @Sym-Cha wink! wink! Though I don't like the cotter pin idea per se as it doesn't appear that way in the movie. And too, I don't want it poking me in the hand when I'm "VRROOOM, WHOOSH, VRRING!"ing it around in the livingroom!

I think the reason you had to loosen the clamp is because there is still a little bit of rust buildup on the base of the grenade. If you do a little more cleanup on the bottom ring, you should be able to tighten it again.
I'm a little afraid of going too far with the vinegar though, if there's any rust holding it together, I kinda want to leave it be. Maybe I'll chuck it up in the lathe at work and give it a spin with a little sandpaper.

It's all preference... I used the bearing in my build because I wanted to use as many original parts as possible...
I prefer it the way you did it! ;) It looks great, and it's functional (sound holes anyone?)

Thanks! It really will be one day I hope! As to the hole location, I can't see it for sure in the Chronicles photos.

Also, did y'all know there's two different fan blade pin stop locations on the windvane? Yep, the two Chris gave me are opposites of one another!! How 'bout dem apples?!

Shoot, that reminds me, I've been meaning to look you up for days now, I apologize for forgetting who too, it's either @newmagrathea or @NeoRutty , one of you guys broke off your windvane pin. I think that it's actually put in place after machining the windvane neck on a lathe. That, or it was cast then the threads were cut and the firing pin retaining pin holes were drilled. Just file whatever's left down flush to the neck, drill a wee little hole, and fill it with some wee brass rod. If you make it a bit longer than necessary you'll have a bit to tap on with a hammer, then file or Dremel the rest down to size. I'll pull some measurementsfor you tonight if you need them!

Indeed ... I've still got plenty of vintage cotter pins left ... for OB1 ANH build :

though you'll have to bend them to the shape that's required for your build :

as for that booster, you'll need some jedi-negotiation/persuations skills :)

Chaïm

Last edited:

O.K. I figured it out. It was NeoRutty who broke off the pin, I read it in newmagrathea's grenade restoration thread, and if I read it correctly that pinless windvane neck was traded to Edraven99 .

SO, whoever has it now, the pin is 3/64" in diameter, and 1/16" tall.

ALSO, I was curious to know which side of the cotter pin sleeve groove the pin sits on, so I studied both the Chronicles photos. You can see the windvane neck pin in the Transistors-side photo. Thank the Force that the windvane had unscrewed for that photo!!! You can also see the Cotter Pin Sleeve Groove in this photo. The GRAFLEX Clamp Lever-side photo shows no sign of either the Windvane Neck Pin, nor the Cotter Pin Sleeve Groove. Therefore...

With the WINDVANE NECK sitting on a table with the large threaded side down and the emitter side pointing upwards, and with the Cotter Pin Sleeve Groove pointing towards you as you look at it, the pin on the Chronicles Obi-Wan Kenobi Lightsaber would be on your right hand side.

Way to break a correct one Neo! ;) Just teasing,:D I know it's probably still a painful memory.:cry BUT IT'S FIXABLE!!! YAY! So whoever has it, GET TO RESTORING IT!

Speaking of restoring a windvane neck... my cracked one is the right hand side one. Whaa-Whaa-Whaa-Whaa-a-aaa. I accept the challenge! A little heat there, a little smack there, should be right as rain. Or it will go really sideways. May the Force be with me!

Last edited by a moderator:

as for that booster, you'll need some jedi-negotiation/persuations skills :) Chaïm
@Sym-Cha RIGHT!? Wish me luck! edit: I just thought of something that tickled me... how can I go into "Aggressive Negotiations" without an intact lightsaber? And the guy that has the part is supposed to be like, "Here ya go. Complete that elegant weapon and fire it up on me!" Too funny!:lol

If I noticed it before, I've forgotten, but I'm noticing it again now, your cotter pins were even MADE IN BRITAIN. TOO COOL!!!

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how they held the GRAFLEX Clamp and the Booster Bearing Nut/Flash Hider together.

Here's why: We see the Cotter Pin coming out of the little hole they made in the GRAFLEX Clamp in the Transistors-side photo, but there's no sign of the loop end of the Cotter Pin in between the BOOSTER's Fins. I suppose they could have run the other leg tightly along the edge of the fins and beneath the clamp's edge too. That would obscure it from view in the photo and it would then have travelled through both parts binding them together. I guess I need a BOOSTER and accoutrements to test the theory, eh?!

Last edited:

There seems to be somesort of 8-hole in the G R A F L E X clamp for that cotterpin ...

... one to thread the cotterpin through and the other to tighten and secure it further :)

Chaïm

Thank you mugatu and panaflex. It's always great to learn more about the prop and those pictures are amazing.

Episode II : THE EBAY STRIKES BACK

A long time ago in a camerashop far,
far away....

It is a dark time for the build.
Although the EXACTRA 19 has been
found, the Vintage GRAFLEX Camera
Case has proven to have two very
small and inaccurate D-Rings.

Evading the dreaded Ebay
Snipers, a group of Benjamins
sent by Ridire Firean have
established a new special
activation plate on
the Real Parts Obi-Wan Lightsaber.

The evil lord D-Bag, obsessed
with bankrupting young Firean, has
demanded thousands of remote
Washingtons for the procurement
of the Booster Bearing....

Pics here tomorrow, I started to create this post, but I'm spent for the day.

UPDATE EDIT: Here's those pics, well, some of them anyway. I'll have to do another round of photos to show y'all what to look out for when shopping for a Vintage GRAFLEX D-ring on another day.

Ridire Firean - ALL REAL PARTS OBI-WAN KENOBI LIGHTSABER - EXACTRA 19 - 1900064527 - 01.jpg

Ridire Firean - ALL REAL PARTS OBI-WAN KENOBI LIGHTSABER - EXACTRA 19 - 1900064527 - 02.jpg

Ridire Firean - ALL REAL PARTS OBI-WAN KENOBI LIGHTSABER - EXACTRA 19 - 1900064527 - 03.jpg

Ridire Firean - ALL REAL PARTS OBI-WAN KENOBI LIGHTSABER - EXACTRA 19 - 1900064527 - 04.jpg

Ridire Firean - ALL REAL PARTS OBI-WAN KENOBI LIGHTSABER - EXACTRA 19 - 1900064527 - 05.jpg

Ridire Firean - ALL REAL PARTS OBI-WAN KENOBI LIGHTSABER - EXACTRA 19 - 1900064527 - 06.jpg

Ridire Firean - ALL REAL PARTS OBI-WAN KENOBI LIGHTSABER - EXACTRA 19 - 1900064527 - 07.jpg

Ridire Firean - ALL REAL PARTS OBI-WAN KENOBI LIGHTSABER - EXACTRA 19 - 1900064527 - 08.jpg

Ridire Firean - ALL REAL PARTS OBI-WAN KENOBI LIGHTSABER - EXACTRA 19 - 1900064527 - 09.jpg

Ridire Firean - ALL REAL PARTS OBI-WAN KENOBI LIGHTSABER - EXACTRA 19 - 1900064527 - 10.jpg

Ridire Firean - ALL REAL PARTS OBI-WAN KENOBI LIGHTSABER - EXACTRA 19 - 1900064527 - 11.jpg

So there you have it, one more piece of the puzzle checked off of the list! Now to find a 20! Wait, what?! Oh, I suppose. Can't hurt to have one of each right? ;) Good Night everybody!

Last edited:

And Coming Soon!...

Episode III : RETURN OF THE HANDWHEEL

A long time ago in a sink far,
far away....

Ridire Firean has scoured the internet
on his home search engine of Google in
an attempt to rescue vintage taps from the
clutches of the vile gangster
Britt the Scrapyard.

Little does Ridire know that the
GALACTIC EBAY has secretly
begun shipping boxes with even
fewer and ridiculously more vague
updates than the dreaded USPS.

When delivered, this well searched
part will spell certain completion for
the small section of the ultimate
weapon known as the pommel and
will restore a sense of hope
to the galaxy....

Last edited:

Capt'n Jack Sparrow : 'It's pronounced pommel . . . not pomell . . . now bugger of . . . and fetch those stinking Washingtons to reach an accord!' . . . :behave

Chaïm

Lookee what arrived today from across the pond!

Ridire Firean - Armitage Shanks - Sink and Bathtub Taps - 01.jpg

Ridire Firean - Armitage Shanks - Sink and Bathtub Taps - 02.jpg

Ridire Firean - Armitage Shanks - Sink and Bathtub Taps - 03.jpg

Now then I'm left with a conundrum...

What to do, what to do? STAR WARS themed bathroom?....Or 2 Obi-Wan Kenobi Lightsabers, PLUS 2 115%-Scale Obi-Wan Kenobi Lightsabers?

Decisions, decisions, decisions. ;) A Jedi's work is never done. :lol

All in all, I'd say I did pretty good for searching through 38,678 listings. And I think I certainly got my $59 worth! The chap I bought them from was an awesome guy and went the extra mile for me relisting the auction several times, not only to exclude the things I didn't want, but also as he learned how to list for international shipping. I'm very thankful that he and I got along so amiably, that we were able to work through sorting out the listing together with great accord, and that both of us were pleased to get we wanted out of the deal. With any luck, he'll tell his neighbors about selling his old faucets to some bloke in the USA and they'll ask him for my information when they go to redo their bathrooms! Lightsabers crossed!!!

Last edited:

capt'n jack sparrow : 'it's pronounced pommel . . . Not pomell . . . Now bugger of . . . And fetch those stinking washingtons to reach an accord!' . . . :behave
chaïm

psst! "It's pronounced OFF... not of!" ;) :D

Lookee what arrived today from across the pond!

http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums...nks - Sink and Bathtub Taps - 01.jpg~original

http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums...nks - Sink and Bathtub Taps - 02.jpg~original

http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums...nks - Sink and Bathtub Taps - 03.jpg~original

Now then I'm left with a conundrum...

What to do, what to do? STAR WARS themed bathroom?....Or 2 Obi-Wan Kenobi Lightsabers, PLUS 2 115%-Scale Obi-Wan Kenobi Lightsabers?

Decisions, decisions, decisions. ;) A Jedi's work is never done. :lol

All in all, I'd say I did pretty good for searching through 38,678 listings. And I think I certainly got my $59 worth! The chap I bought them from was an awesome guy and went the extra mile for me relisting the auction several times, not only to exclude the things I didn't want, but also as he learned how to list for international shipping. I'm very thankful that he and I got along so amiably, that we were able to work through sorting out the listing together with great accord, and that both of us were pleased to get we wanted out of the deal. With any luck, he'll tell his neighbors about selling his old faucets to some bloke in the USA and they'll ask him for my information when they go to redo their bathrooms! Lightsabers crossed!!!

Holy cow! I'd totally do a Star Wars bathroom.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back