All-New Wolverine *COMPLETE*

brokechick

Hi everyone, I'm Kiara and this is my first build thread. I've only ever built one costume out of foam and that was for my little sister for Halloween last year (batman).

Anyway... I really wanted to start practising and getting back into the foam building world so I started making JFcustoms foam wolvie cowl, then this got me thinking... I can go as Wolverine to Supanova 2017 Melbourne (April 29th)

Ok, so first off I needed to figure out what is needed to complete the costume basing it off the all new, wolverine comic, looking something like this:

Capture.PNG

- Cowl (foam, hand painted with acrylics) - Cowl v1 painted and complete (see pg 5)

- Suit just like the one from the new wolverine comics (bought this pattern from GunHead design http://www.gunheaddesign.com/all-new-all-different-x-23-pattern.html and have just put in an order with Zentai Zone to get it printed and sewn together - should arrive in about 2 weeks) - Suit arrived and is ready (see pics on pg 1)

- X-23 Claws (have been looking at dark matter props replica claws, thinking I will buy these, was originally planning to cast my own out of self skinning foam to be more con friendly but I know I probably won't get around to it) - complete, see last page

- X belt (3d print belt buckle and attach to foam or material, need to look at more ref pics and decide and also need to wait for suit to come in) - Completed belt buckle and belt material (see pg 5)

- Boots (ok these I'm not sure about, there are wolvie boots online but these are the Logan style boots, so I may buy some black costume boots and make some foam covers or something? Any suggestions appreciated...) - Complete, see last page

Another issue I will come across is matching the paint of my foam cowl to my suit, any ideas on how to do this or do I just eye ball it best I can?
Really excited to finally complete a costume for me! :D

Whole suit complete, see last page for the pics at the convention!

Capture.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: All-New Wolverine *WIP*

So the past 2 nights I have spent about 5hrs building the foam cowl, the eyes and nose area were not fun but a good challenge... as you can see I've nearly completed this cowl before but it was wayyyy too small.

unnamed (1).jpgunnamed.jpgunnamed (2).jpg
So I am currently working on the back section that attaches to the front section, nearly there! Oh and if anyone wants to know where I got my foam, especially the fellow aussies on this page well I bought it from Supercheap Auto, it's a foam roll mat and is approx 6mm in thickness, think it was about $30

Worked on the cowl again for a couple of hours tonight after work and it is now completed. Need to figure out what to do with the chin strap though as it doesn't seem to have a snug fit, also wondering if it would look stupid if I made the eye holes bigger as I have really bad eyesight in my left eye, hrmmm.

unnamed (2).jpgunnamed.jpgunnamed (1).jpg

Next step is to sand off the hot glue boogies and sand the seams down so they are rounded rather than pointy!
Still waiting for my sub dye suit to be shipped out, I'm hoping it gets shipped out soon so I can colour match the cowl.

As for the claws, I've found a 3d print file online and may try to print these on the weekend as a test.

Honestly, I would cut the foam chin off and attach a piece of elastic. That will pull the sides in as well as keep it snug on your head.

unnamed (4).jpgunnamed (3).jpg
A couple of shots of the top of the head sanded down, it looks much better now compared to having that pointed look at the seams. Time to start filling then sanding again, and also figuring out if attaching a piece of elastic for the chin strap will look alright as mentioned by Jango above :)

When I look at your work I remind my first work. It was a Wolverine cowl too. And I just wonder, why I never tried to sand it?

Nice work. Keep working.

All-New Wolverine *WIP*

Have you found print files for the belt buckle yet?

I really like this one
https://pinshape.com/items/20592-3d-printed-x-men-belt-buckle but the problem is the belt ring for the belt is only on one side, it needs to be on both sides. So I will have to look at it to see if I can split out the belt ring and then print an extra one to glue it on the other side

I would love to say I'll try to model one myself but there's like a 10% chance of that happening hahaha, unfortunately we only learnt 2D autocad at university :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like this one
https://pinshape.com/items/20592-3d-printed-x-men-belt-buckle but the problem is the belt ring for the belt is only on one side, it needs to be on both sides. So I will have to look at it to see if I can split out the belt ring and then print an extra one to glue it on the other side

I would love to say I'll try to model one myself but there's like a 10% chance of that happening hahaha, unfortunately we only learnt 2D autocad at university :(

Actually, it looks like that one is in two pieces so you can open and close it so you'll still have both rings on there!

Just a quick update on where I am at with the cowl, it looked really good after I filled and sanded the seams (unfortunately didn't get a photo, damn!). So I got very excited and heat sealed the cowl for too long.............

Annnddd it started opening up at the seams, so without thinking I frantically began filling in the open seams again with heaps of filler. I then sanded down the seams again last night but it just doesn't look as good. So today after work I am going to go and buy some spray filler primer and see if this can help out. If not, I may have to build the cowl again >_<. I guess I need to determine what will take longer, fixing this thing or just making another one.

But I do have some good news, my sub dye suit arrived this morning (man that was super fast shipping, 2 days!), hopefully the good news continues when I get home and try it on and it fits! Fingers crossed. If so, pics shall be up tonight, unfortunately though I think they will be cowl-less :(

I really like this whole build. If you have a 3D Printer you may want to print a cowl in sections and then glue the section together. Also, Where did you order a dye sub that it got to you in two days?

I really like this whole build. If you have a 3D Printer you may want to print a cowl in sections and then glue the section together. Also, Where did you order a dye sub that it got to you in two days?

Thanks heaps! People interested in the thread gives me heaps more motivation to finish this.

I could do so but the problem is my build plate is small which means I would have to print multiple sections (I've been printing an iron man mk 46 helmet and I gave up for now because there's so many split parts >_<)

Sorry, I didn't explain that properly, I ordered the suit on Feb 23rd from ZentaiZone and they shipped it off on Wednesday (it was shipped from Hong Kong)

Ok so I sprayed the cowl with some filler primer last night and it definitely showed some areas where I got lazy and didn't sand off enough of the filler
7c73ead7220730b5a946883da9aa07a0.jpg

I must admit with it looking like this I'm tempted to bin it and make another one. I really dislike things not looking perfect but I need to get out of this habit if I'm ever gonna finish anything!

Here's some photos with it on I just took this morning (excuse the PJ tshirt hahaha)
e70d9a9850f64c081c6868fd447f6456.jpg
81cc8bd7da7f7ff01a428cae57d0f3e4.jpg

See from a distance I guess I can say it looks OK, I still need to cut off the chin and replace it with elastic, I've left it there so it made it easier to rest down and prime it.

Then there's the sub dye suit... I'm not sure if it fits perfectly as unfortunately they included a head on the suit (which I said not to) and I can't even fit my damn head through the section. If you guys were there last night you would've been dying of laughter watching me try to hahaha, but I can say the legs and arms fit pretty nicely, but yeah I'm not sure if it zips as I can't get my head through. So, I've asked my dad to cut off the head part and hem it down so it hopefully sits around the bottom of my neck (like it should), he's the only one that knows how to sew in the house so I'm trusting him. Hopefully he can get this done by tonight. Here's a peek of what the suit looks like packed away in its bag
8cba1fbb27190db18321aeb33d5e654e.jpg

Sorry guys, not much good news at the moment but I'll get there (I hope). On a side note, I guess some good news is that today I'm going to a USA food store so I'll be able to stock up on some American goodies to get me through this journey [emoji23]. Oh! And there's an art store near there so may pop in and look at some paints and brushes.

Quick update: Sanded down the raised areas and re primed them, looking a bit better. Just need to fix the holes around the eye areas with some more filler putty
ee9b69c7ec2fee957c0b804691edbe95.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back