Good 3-d printers for an iron man build

Domonator

Hi I am currently in the process of building a mark 45 foam suit and saw how amazing a 3-d printer can make stuff without taking away from the experience. I was wondering what 3-d printer you would recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm using a Wanhao Duplicator i3 V2. I'm pretty happy with it so far. Any RepRap i model will do.

I have a build area of 20x20x18cm and that seems to be enough.

One thing that I don't like is the warping of the printed parts. But that is mostly related to the filament and not to the printer.

I started a whole video series to answer this very question! We even have an episode about the top 3D printers for making costumes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a makerbot but do not encourage anyone to buy one. I've seen good things on davinci printers that are modified to allow any filament to be used.

The Wanhao Duplicator i3 v2 is awesome!
-Using it to print several Iron Man parts
-Large build volume
-Very sturdy/Powder coated Steel frame
-Prints details 0.1mm
-Lots of upgrades available
-Great user groups for support
...and best of all it's only $399.

This is a cool thread ! anyways in in the situation too trying to 3d print Mark 46 but looking for a printer easy to use and low budget ! does anyone recommend a certain software I should use to cut up the part that are too big ? and how do I cut up those parts ?

This is a cool thread ! anyways in in the situation too trying to 3d print Mark 46 but looking for a printer easy to use and low budget ! does anyone recommend a certain software I should use to cut up the part that are too big ? and how do I cut up those parts ?

You can easily cut up a model in netfabb.... and it's FREE!
Then you can load the model(s) into Cura to lay them out.... it's FREE too!

good luck!

I just bought that printer and finished putting it together last night. Assembly was fairly simple and straight forward and it appears to be of reasonable build quality. I am having an issue where the hot bed and extruder aren't getting hot and the extruder stepper motor won't pull the filament. Haven't yet had a chance to diagnose the issue to see if it's a problem with the main board or a loose connection somewhere. I did run a dry print simulation and it ran through the process so...

I just started my suit and luckily I have 2 printers. A Flashforge Dreamer and a Creator Pro. The Creator Pro will be doing the heavy lifting and the Dreamer is going to be on standby for the time being.

I have a Lulzbot Taz 5 and it runs like a Champ. It has a large build platform which is nice if you plan on making larger piece such as an Iron Man suit.

O wish I had enough money for a taz 5. Maybe somewhere down the road.

It's exactly like learning a foreign language:

- It's easy to learn to say "hello" and count from 1 to 10.
- It takes a lot of effort and commitment to learn how to write a good poem in a foreign language.
- After 10000 hours, you'll know everything there is to know.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back