Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

I wasn't sure what to make of the new lightsaber but The pommel "blades" look more like some sort of exhaust or venting to me. The ball astromech isn't bad, in my book. Sure he's cute but so what? I think he'll be fine. I'm so happy to see the stormtroopers being actual people in costumes.

FYI, those extra little blades weren't on the pommel but where the guard would be on most swords, the pommel is the part that's at bottom of the hilt.

In regards to the new astromech, I think it's theoretically possible to build a functional replica, it would just take using gyros to balance it and magnets to keep the head floating.
Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

FYI, those extra little blades weren't on the pommel but where the guard would be on most swords, the pommel is the part that's at bottom of the hilt.

In regards to the new astromech, I think it's theoretically possible to build a functional replica, it would just take using gyros to balance it and magnets to keep the head floating.
Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Ooops thanks. Got my terminology backwards!

I just got back from the theater and this trailer was definitely much better on the big screen. Especially when the Falcon and the Star Wars theme hit...BAM!...sounded great with the big kick-ass movie theater speakers.

Oh... and my kids liked Big Hero 6 too.

View attachment 410235

It's pretty long and it's hanging off of hook up so its either something she uses often, a staff or long rifle, or just some salvage. Notice how she is looking back, perhaps someone is not happy that she grabbed that stick.

is it just me or does the "staff" have very similar look as Darth Maul's lightsaber ends?

2.jpg

Well, in the long shot there's nothing for it to attach to.

But perhaps it's two different vehicles in two different scenes? I dunno.

k

In the long shot you can still see the pegs for the mounting.
05d621310f_o.jpg

They are on either side of the windshield's third rivet, same as when the item is attached.

Totally agree. The PT kendo style of fighting was neat at first but it got old quickly. All the little twirls and pointless flourishes got to the point of being silly. I hope this new Sith is brutish and powerful.

I'd like to think that a lot of the fancy schmancy ballet dueling died along with the Old Republic. With nobody around to teach them, the New Jedi Order has to improvise and relearn how to duel with sabers.

You know, got to thinking, that voice said something like "Light Side. Dark Side..." I was waiting for him to say "They're both wrong." I wonder if this is continuing the theme from the EU about the real Force is gray, not light or dark?

A more comprehensive response to this is that George, in his Father-Son-Daughter arc of the Clone Wars got his personal view of how the Force works into canon. The Light Side is the true aspect of the Force, and the Dark Side is only a corruption of that that cannot endure. That's what the prophecy is about. "Balance" has nothing to do with walking the line between indulgence and asceticism. "Balance", to George, means the Dark Side is cleaned up so it's only Light again. Which makes my teeth hurt, but it's frikkin' canon now, so we're stuck with it. No "Gray Jedi", even though I think that's the ideal they should strive for. Self-control, not self-denial. Love without fear. And so forth.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd like to think that a lot of the fancy schmancy ballet dueling died along with the Old Republic. With nobody around to teach them, the New Jedi Order has to improvise and relearn how to duel with sabers.

There is no New Jedi Order. ;)

--Jonah

A more comprehensive response to this is that George, in his Father-Son-Daughter arc of the Clone Wars got his personal view of how the Force works into canon. The Light Side is the true aspect of the Force, and the Dark Side is only a corruption of that that cannot endure. That's what the prophecy is about.

Counterpoint, by none other than the great Terry Pratchett:

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.”

"Balance" has nothing to do with walking the line between indulgence and asceticism. "Balance", to George, means the Dark Side is cleaned up so it's only Light again. Which makes my teeth hurt, but it's frikkin' canon now, so we're stuck with it. No "Gray Jedi", even though I think that's the ideal they should strive for. Self-control, not self-denial. Love without fear. And so forth.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, which is why I think the whole idea of Light Side vs Dark Side is complete bunk. It's really nothing more than someone trying to shoehorn idealism into a non-ideal universe. The extremes are just that: extremes. It's essentially a bell curve, with the Light Side and Dark Side representing the outer edges. The vast majority of people will naturally fall somewhere in the middle, with very few people falling to the outer edges.

There is no New Jedi Order. ;)

--Jonah

rant.jpg

...I hope to God we see a movie where it's chaos and disruption and darkness and we think the movie is gonna end on a bad note like empire and then Luke is back and completely wrecks everything...

This is the first episode of the new trilogy, so it will have an upbeat ending like ANH and TPM. Not necessarily a complete ending with closure, but upbeat.

C'mon Bryan... open up your eyes. They were meant to be clones and it's retconning to suggest they're not.

END OF STORY. Get over it.

If stormtroopers are meant to be clonetroopers, then why even change the name?

The only retcon would be to assume that the stormtroopers were clone troopers.

I watched the trailer again today and I must say I liked it more than I did yesterday. It has a nice vibe of nervousness to it and the voiceover (sounds Cumberbatch to me) is particularly creepy. All in all, a fitting teaser.

What I really like is the new X-wing, I think the way the wings split now is ingenious. The fighter has a sleek profile and beautiful proportions, still no glimpse of the rear, the buttplate and engines remain a mystery. I wonder if it's been built as a physical model for the movie or is it CGI only. Can't wait to seeing the first build of it here in the RPF.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back