What can I wear at a theater now a days?

Ah, you must be American...

I'm not in the 501st so I cannot speak for them (I'm in the process of 2 501st build however), and my friends who are in the 501st tell me they are expecting similar rules as the Mercs, which in the mercs is a trial with potential ban.

At the end of the day, you don't have to be in an official LucasFilm sanctioned club, but if you want to be, you have to follow their guidelines. This quote sums it up nicely:

You speak as though you *think* LFL is what OWNS the 501st and that created it. THEY ABSOLUTELY DO NOT. I don't have to play by their rules and your buddy who sent you that message clearly re-wrote his OWN idea of the letter that was actually sent out.

- - - Updated - - -

It does sound like if you're trooping an official LFL 501st event, at least for now, LFL can tell you what you can carry with your costume in a public place.

Now on your own, sure, carry what you like- although in my opinion anyone who takes a blaster to a movie theatre, even outside in the parking lot or out front, may have more pride than brains. But I've got no dog in your fight, so you should do whatever you feel is right, of course.

Um, nope. Find me a legal requirement to tell me what to hold in public? These aren't "LFL controlled" events. I've DONE PLENTY of LFL events, and this is NOT controlled by them. Don't confuse a movie premier as being "OMG LFL IS RUNNING THE SHOW LET'S KISS THEIR ASSES"

Last edited by a moderator:
Hate to break it to you, but the 501st is LFL sanctioned, and if they want to keep their sanctioning, then they have to play by LFL rules, technically speaking, we violate so many copyright laws in the creation of our costumes. If we want all the nice things we get from LFL like not being sued, special events, etc... We need to play by their rules, and a few bad apples can ruin it for the rest of us.

And just like the 501st can't force you from carrying a blaster, there's nothing to stop them for kicking you out for failing to step in line.

And don't get me wrong, as one of the people coordinating an unofficial troop to my local theater, I understand very much that this event is not LFL run. However, OM kits are still representing the club, whether its an official LFL event or not. You're not at home, you are in public, and the public sees you as a member of the club, and as such are subject to the consequences of not following LFL guidelines.

You speak as though you *think* LFL is what OWNS the 501st and that created it. THEY ABSOLUTELY DO NOT. I don't have to play by their rules and your buddy who sent you that message clearly re-wrote his OWN idea of the letter that was actually sent out.

Um, nope. Find me a legal requirement to tell me what to hold in public? These aren't "LFL controlled" events. I've DONE PLENTY of LFL events, and this is NOT controlled by them. Don't confuse a movie premier as being "OMG LFL IS RUNNING THE SHOW LET'S KISS THEIR ASSES"

Dude you are AWESOME ! Just bless your little heart. You just keep doing what you're doing, I can see how well everything has worked out for you. Bless your heart.

Hate to break it to you, but the 501st is LFL sanctioned, and if they want to keep their sanctioning, then they have to play by LFL rules, technically speaking, we violate so many copyright laws in the creation of our costumes. If we want all the nice things we get from LFL like not being sued, special events, etc... We need to play by their rules, and a few bad apples can ruin it for the rest of us.

And just like the 501st can't force you from carrying a blaster, there's nothing to stop them for kicking you out for failing to step in line.

And don't get me wrong, as one of the people coordinating an unofficial troop to my local theater, I understand very much that this event is not LFL run. However, OM kits are still representing the club, whether its an official LFL event or not. You're not at home, you are in public, and the public sees you as a member of the club, and as such are subject to the consequences of not following LFL guidelines.

I'm sorry, show me the legalities of your statement. You're not obviously in the 501st as you can't even recall what's been said. Don't sit here trying to lecture me about what LFL can and can't do to me, cause you're really exaggerating your skewed mentality.

You also keep thinking myself or anyone is going to get "kicked out," yet again, another false rumor to your false generalized belief of LFL's abilities and 501st practices. Don't talk about things you don't understand

- - - Updated - - -

Dude you are AWESOME ! Just bless your little heart. You just keep doing what you're doing, I can see how well everything has worked out for you. Bless your heart.

Nothing left in my heart to bless

To sum how I feel about this topic of this thread... The dangerously mentally ill and the terrorists win. The fun loving and peaceful costumers lose. Not because of the actions of those who "won", but because of the fear and cowardice of the masses. Um, I thought the idea was to not let the terrorists win? The terrorists and the dangerously mentally ill win, whenever we impose restrictions on society because of their actions. Makes me ******* sick!

However I do feel that it's pretty stupid in this day and age (what with everything that has happened over the last 20 years) for sci-fi weapons to be made from existing guns, even if they're airsoft versions (yeah yeah, I'm sort of contradicting myself here). They should be completely original so as not to be mistaken for real firearms and IMHO, since in that case they would be frikkin' toys that are completely different from any actual real firearm, they should be allowed EVERYWHERE in EVERY COUNTRY! *steps of soap box* Sorry, got carried away there.

Last edited:
You're so American! I love it! But seriously, no need to go all personal attack on me. (which in educated circles is usually a sign of weakness)

Look, I'm american too, and I enjoy our absurdly unrestricted access to deadly weapons and their fake versions. I am also disappointed by this request from LFL, but I can understand where they are coming from. And while I think in a way we are letting the terrorist win, it doesn't change the fact that official clubs enjoy special privileges because of the fact we work WITH LFL. I'm sure we will get our blasters back, but LFL wants things to cool off a bit following the recent tragedies. Like I said, I don't agree with the decision, but I get where they're coming from.

I know for a fact that the policy in the mercs is a trial, with the potential for a ban. My 501st buddies say that's what they expect for their members as well. As far as the legalities go, they are this:

-The 501st gets special privileges from LFL
-You agree to follow the 501st standards while costuming
-Current standards are no blasters
-501st can kick you out, doesn't necessarily mean you'll get kicked out, but they have the option
-You have no right to be in the club, you have the privilege, and by joining you agree to a set of rules, not following those rules means consequences, which can be a ban. Considering that LFL has specifically requested this from us, and 501st wants to stay on LFL's good side, there's a good chance 501st will mirror Mercs (especially since our bylaws are almost verbatim to each other).

-Members agree to use and wear their costumes in accordance with the participation requirements as set forth by the Legion.-The 501st Legion reserves the right to deny or revoke membership at any time,
-privileges authorized to the organization by LFL. Members acknowledge and accept that they, by authorization, portray the characters of STAR WARS when in costume and acting on behalf of the Legion. While representing the Legion, members agree to do so courteously, professionally, and responsibly at all times.
-
Membership in the 501st Legion is a privilege granted by this private organization, not a social or legal right.
-Violations of the code of conduct listed below in items 1 through 5 as determined by a hearing or other incontrovertible evidence will result in immediate termination of membership.

Gnar Gnar Jinn, I sure hope that was directed at tubachris85x and not at me. My comment was not directed at you whatsoever. My comment is about the overall issue of the world (not just one nation or business or club) restricting what they will allow law abiding citizens do because of the actions of some terrorists and/or those of a dangerously mentally ill person.

Last edited:
You're so American! I love it! But seriously, no need to go all personal attack on me. (which in educated circles is usually a sign of weakness)

Look, I'm american too, and I enjoy our absurdly unrestricted access to deadly weapons and their fake versions. I am also disappointed by this request from LFL, but I can understand where they are coming from. And while I think in a way we are letting the terrorist win, it doesn't change the fact that official clubs enjoy special privileges because of the fact we work WITH LFL. I'm sure we will get our blasters back, but LFL wants things to cool off a bit following the recent tragedies. Like I said, I don't agree with the decision, but I get where they're coming from.

I am an Official Merc, this means that I too, am a member of an LFL sanctioned club. Our policy in the mercs is a trial, with the option for a ban. My 501st buddies say that's what they expect for their members as well. As far as the legalities go, they are this:

-The 501st gets special privileges from LFL
-You agree to follow the 501st standards while costuming
-Current standards are no blasters
-501st can kick you out, doesn't necessarily mean you'll get kicked out, but they have the option
-You have no right to be in the club, you have the privilege, and by joining you agree to a set of rules, not following those rules means consequences, which can be a ban. Considering that LFL has specifically requested this from us, and 501st wants to stay on LFL's good side, there's a good chance 501st will mirror Mercs (especially since our bylaws are almost verbatim to each other.

"SO American" was you're first jab, BUT since you claim to be American as well, your implied insult comes with a sound of personal regret, but not surprised you're from the East coast.

So I was right? You're not 501st, and appear to have only been a part of the mercs since the beginning of the month. You're less than a month into a costume club, which is NOT LFL "sanctioned" but is "recognized- KNOW the difference.

Good thing you're a Merc, cause you're thread poster over there made an addendum to the post. 3 days ago

"UPDATE 21 Nov:

THIS JUST IN: "Pete [our contact at LFL] has realised he's not told everyone, he's also clarified that this is for Europe, Middle East and Africa, where the issues have taken place recently.""

You don't have enough experience or knowledge to "tell me" how the club you're not even a part of operates or has been operating

Yes, sorry, It was directed at Tuba... I very much agree with your statement ARKM, and find myself to be in a similar position.

At the end of the day, LFL wants movie goers to feel safe, and doesn't want any dead costumers because a blaster was mistaken for a gun in this elevated awareness following many global tragic events. I'm fine with hanging up my blaster for a bit.

Good thing you're a Merc, cause you're thread poster over there made an addendum to the post. 3 days ago

You're right that post was changed three days ago,

However, last night LFL sent the Mercs and the 501st this clarification. Fresh off the press from my local 501st garrison site (less than 24hrs old):

Screen Shot 2015-11-24 at 8.43.12 PM.png

Side note, if you want to continue this conversation lets take it to PMs so we can talk without disturbing the fine folks here at the RPF.

You're right that post was changed three days ago,

However, last night LFL sent the Mercs and the 501st this clarification. Fresh off the press from my local 501st garrison site (less than 24hrs old):

View attachment 559005

Oh, so YOU DID see the letter then? Okay, tell me then where it says that blasters are "Banned" and where it says that I (Myself or anyone for that matter) will be "Kicked out" of the 501st for not adhering to a "request"?

Oh, so YOU DID see the letter then? Okay, tell me then where it says that blasters are "Banned" and where it says that I (Myself or anyone for that matter) will be "Kicked out" of the 501st for not adhering to a "request"?

Please check your PMs tuba, I'll have a reply to you in a minute

Any word yet Mr Williams?

Last edited:
I'm wearing this to the premiere... :rolleyes

star-trek-star-wards-tee.png

That is, a T-shirt with this on it,

Sorry, I thought I'd lighten the mood,
damn terrorists...

star-trek-star-wards-tee.png

Just to be clear, when going to a theater, the management has the right to refuse anyone's service. If they say no blasters then that's the rule. No matter what club or organization you belong to.

Also, if you are a member of a club or organization, ie 501st, you have been following their rules since you were accepted into the club. I cannot wear a blue helmet as an AT-ST driver, it has to be green, and a pretty specific shade of green too. So if they say no blasters, then I have to follow the rules. That is, as long as I am trooping with them or representing them.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back