What can I wear at a theater now a days?

I'll be in my Heavy Weapons Trooper and my Chewie at the premier trooping with the 501st. Best option IMO. We get to troop leading up to the movie, dress down then go to the viewing, then the next day do it all again :) :) :)

Saw 007 Saturday. Great movie. I asked two managers and showed them the pic of an AT-ST driver. Both fine with it as long as I put the goggles on top of the helmet instead of my face. One did mention that Disney plans to release an official statement closer to the release date, but that it would be similar to that of AMC.

I will be going more than once. The second time will be shorts/tee shirt (I am in Florida). The third time, with friends and family I will dress up again.

This is the best bet. Have a photo of your costume, some theaters will trade the cost of a ticket if you have an organized meet and greet.
Better yet they might store your gear and let you change into street clothes for watching the movie.

This is what my local Alamo Drafthouse is doing. Free movie tickets, food and reimbursing us for travel and lodgings. They are providing us with a green room for changing out for changing, etc. And they've cleared us for helmets and prop weapons with their security/law enforcement.

Just call the theater and talk to them; email your costume photos to the manager. As long as you seem semi-legit even the managers of the big chains will likely make an exception.

... and over here in Europe, the 501st Legion has been asked by Lucasfilm not to carry any blasters at events for the movie because of the terrorist attacks in Paris.
That hasn't been an issue before.

... and over here in Europe, the 501st Legion has been asked by Lucasfilm not to carry any blasters at events for the movie because of the terrorist attacks in Paris.
That hasn't been an issue before.

It's global, for all licensed costume groups at all events.
Hi again everyone,

I wanted to send an update to the below request regarding display of prop weapons at the premieres.

After further consideration, Disney and Lucasfilm are respectfully requesting that all appearances worldwide, regardless of region, refrain from displaying any prop that resembles a gun at all events (including non-theatrical ones) until further notice.

We hope that you can understand our position given recent events and want to thank you once again for your support and dedication to Star Wars and all the goodwill you continue to spread throughout your communities.

Pete Vilmur
Senior Writer & Fan Relations
Lucasfilm

:blank:

If you're a member of the Mercs, 501st, or Rebel legion you are not allowed to have gun style weapons at events period. Official or not official events, members of these groups cannot wear their official costumes with guns.

Really hoping that they don't consider Rey's outfit a problem. Going to have her staff, but not the blaster. Staff will break down into 2 pieces (thanks JJ!). No goggles or headwrap. Just a basic Rey.

Worst case, the staff goes into the car. But considering I have tickets for 4 showings and they're all at Alamo Drafthouse, I think it'll be OK if the statement made on Facebook doesn't change. Opening night I will be at 2 different locations in Austin, so I wonder if there will be any discrepancies...

If you're a member of the Mercs, 501st, or Rebel legion you are not allowed to have gun style weapons at events period. Official or not official events, members of these groups cannot wear their official costumes with guns.

I'm trooping with my blaster unless the venue asks otherwise. You "can't" tell me what I can and cannot physically carry in my costume in public

I can't but I've been told that there will be consequences set forth by each club, with the option of being banned from a club for trooping with a blaster until otherwise noted.

I guess the argument is that if you are a member of the official clubs, when you're in your official costume, you are representing them. You can troop in a blaster, but if you're a member of a club, you won't be for long.

I can't but I've been told that there will be consequences set forth by each club, with the option of being banned from a club for trooping with a blaster until otherwise noted.

I guess the argument is that if you are a member of the official clubs, when you're in your official costume, you are representing them. You can troop in a blaster, but if you're a member of a club, you won't be for long.

Excuse me? I've been on legion forums all day, I'd like to see some substantiating evidence of any "consequences." That's complete Horse *******

Excuse me? I've been on legion forums all day, I'd like to see some substantiating evidence of any "consequences." That's complete Horse *******
Ah, you must be American...

I'm not in the 501st so I cannot speak for them (I'm in the process of 2 501st build however), and my friends who are in the 501st tell me they are expecting similar rules as the Mercs, which in the mercs is a trial with potential ban.

At the end of the day, you don't have to be in an official LucasFilm sanctioned club, but if you want to be, you have to follow their guidelines. This quote sums it up nicely:
Only thing I will say in regards to the ban on weapons at events:
If you look good without a blaster, who cares. If you don't, time to upgrade your kit and put some real work in.
Oh, and...get over it? You joined an officially LFL-sanctioned costume group because it is officially LFL-sanctioned and you want to look cool in kit.
If this is what makes you angry, you're obviously in the wrong place.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trooping with my blaster unless the venue asks otherwise. You "can't" tell me what I can and cannot physically carry in my costume in public

It does sound like if you're trooping an official LFL 501st event, at least for now, LFL can tell you what you can carry with your costume in a public place.

Now on your own, sure, carry what you like- although in my opinion anyone who takes a blaster to a movie theatre, even outside in the parking lot or out front, may have more pride than brains. But I've got no dog in your fight, so you should do whatever you feel is right, of course.

I just think he's suffering from an inability to get over this issue: 22048802.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back