Is this Helmet "movie accurate"?

Commander Fox

Just like many of you, I like to make highly accurate costumes and props. That's why I'm planning to build a "movie accurate" Stormtrooper Armor choosing the best components from several pepakura sets (which I later change to OBJ and then to STL).

And now, since the movie premiere project has been postponed, I decided to get the Armor ready for next year events such as the Star Wars Day, Comic-Cons and more.

So today I chose to start my project by 3d printing the Stormtrooper helmet (after having splitted it in small parts). I now have 2 different versions of the helmet, both have been found on Thingiverse:

I was thinking about printing Geoffro's version, which is (extremely) high poly, but I also would like to hear your experienced opinion in regards to such topic. Do you think Geoffro's helmet is "movie accurate"?

Geoffro's center "tooth" on the grill is wrong. Don't know why he decided to split it into 2 more "teeth"

Honestly, I you'd be better off getting one already made by a known vendor, most of which originate from screen used sources. no offense. Just seems rather redundant IMO to invest in a 3D printed one especially when it's significantly cheaper, readily available and easier to put together these days.

I'd spend some time on starwarshelmets.com. Might change your mind on "accuracy" lol

Geoffro's center "tooth" on the grill is wrong. Don't know why he decided to split it into 2 more "teeth"

Honestly, I you'd be better off getting one already made by a known vendor, most of which originate from screen used sources. no offense. Just seems rather redundant IMO to invest in a 3D printed one especially when it's significantly cheaper, readily available and easier to put together these days.

I'd spend some time on starwarshelmets.com. Might change your mind on "accuracy" lol

Oh, yeah, I know that website too. But thanks for reminding it anyway. Btw, always on Thingiverse I found other possible helmets:

I have to agree 100%.

The time, money and final result of Pep files and 3D printing compared to the accuracy of already available vendor products is a massive difference. I've seen way more terrible pep/3D Stormtrooper files than cast final vendor products.

A Hasbro Black Series trooper helmet (~$80) may have a similar cost to the amount of filament needed to print a helmet. Although, since you are in Italy, perhaps the Hasbro helmet is more expensive there? If you are hiring someone else to print the helmet for you, even a vacuform kit would likely be cheaper.

As a starting point the Hasbro helmet is fairly accurate to the Rogue One version (though needing some extension to the neck opening). According to posts in the thread about it, with some further modification it could make a nice looking and fairly accurate, though symmetrical, OT helmet.

None of those are "accurate"

If you want movie accurate to the OT, 3d modelled and printed is conceptually flawed angle to approach it from. Appearance, feel (may not be important) are incorrect and at a huge monetary cost for something that doesn't meet your aim. Source a vac formed copy from RS, who have copied every exact detail of an ANH helmet and suit. CFO also has ESB and ROTJ type helmets from screen lineage. These options are movie accurate.

" I like to make highly accurate costumes and props " <-- this means coming to terms with the dodgy build quality of the stormtrooper costumes I'm afraid :lol Not even the hasbro toy helmet can fulfill your aim IMO.

my RS helmet:
It is so accurate it is uncanny. It could be from a scene in the movie, because it was! (although nobody has ID'd the exact helmet in any of the movies yet)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back