Han Solo - Star Wars- A New Hope Laser Blaster - Hyper Accurate DL-44 Replica

This is the barrel attachment set up I used. I wanted to keep all the working function and look of the NR barrel and also replicate the look of the only front HERO pic that shows a small bullet muzzle hole...

blasterFHofffront_zpsc8335995.jpg

c186e6a8-68bb-4175-ace9-fa3b0fb90c7e_zpsbqv5a0cy.jpg

d5c33fba-cafc-4a73-9db5-85f37ee74341_zpsnrsemyur.jpg

I hate this thread... Stop bumping it!!!

Just being silly, but seriously...

Dear God.

I need that.

Truly amazing work.

I wouldn't be shocked if your next post was a video of it actually firing a laser blast...

Saying that it looks accurate doesn't really cut it. Best to just say, THAT looks freaking REAL.

This is incredible! I'm going to really try to get as close to this finish as possible for my TFA. #blastergoals

If only the real TFA prop looked like this...

I've thought about building a TFA as well. But I'm sorry to say that Kpax's ANH >>>>> TFA real prop in every way aesthetically.

I would love to have the complete collection of accurate Han blasters...

But if I could only have one... It would be this monster that Kpax and friends have created. I drooled over this thread when it was first posted. I've tried to forget about it!

I have a resin Greedo killer kit that for some reason, this thread is inspiring me to dig out.

Though it won't cure my need for an uber accurate metal ANH blaster.

Seriously, get this thread out of my face!!!

:p

Last edited:
In case you didn't know...

These are parts kit available for both the TFA and ANH, same type I used. Dave also offers base Mausers already modified.
The presale is up for the TFA and also ANH blaster kit runs at Dark Energy Creations:

http://darkenergycreations.com/currentproject.aspx

Dave is taking orders up to Jan 30...I think so he can get materials.

Don't want anyone to miss out...

HOW did I miss this??? incredible :eek

May I ask how you archieved this? Did you have it commissioned?
What did you use for the knurled disk at the barrel tip/ inside the muzzle?

HOW did I miss this??? incredible :eek

May I ask how you archieved this? Did you have it commissioned?
What did you use for the knurled disk at the barrel tip/ inside the muzzle?

hey Markus, thanks.
i did all the work myself. Resculpting the details of a real Mauser on the MGC frame. Had to change the knurled on the safety, bolt sight release. All hand filed. recut the sight notches and reshaped all the features to match.

The knurl ed muzzle disk is really a threaded insert in the bullbarrel just like the real one must have had as a muzzle restrictor. There is an image of ford holding the blaster front view where you can see the small hole.

I made it to actually hold the bull barrel in place so it can be removed if necessary and I didn't need to use the 3 set screws because I wanted to be able to show the naked runner barrel accurately.

The markings were all etched as was the mystery disk. The mystery disk blotches are accurate as well and change appearance in different lighting like the real one. I imagine the actual marks are glue and missing bluing just like the front sight. Pretty sure the sight is as last seen on the hero. Matches images perfectly I think.

thanks for looking!

hey Markus, thanks.
i did all the work myself. Resculpting the details of a real Mauser on the MGC frame. Had to change the knurled on the safety, bolt sight release. All hand filed. recut the sight notches and reshaped all the features to match.

The knurl ed muzzle disk is really a threaded insert in the bullbarrel just like the real one must have had as a muzzle restrictor. There is an image of ford holding the blaster front view where you can see the small hole.

I made it to actually hold the bull barrel in place so it can be removed if necessary and I didn't need to use the 3 set screws because I wanted to be able to show the naked runner barrel accurately.

The markings were all etched as was the mystery disk. The mystery disk blotches are accurate as well and change appearance in different lighting like the real one. I imagine the actual marks are glue and missing bluing just like the front sight. Pretty sure the sight is as last seen on the hero. Matches images perfectly I think.

thanks for looking!

I think I expressed myself incorrect...should have been more specific ;)

OF COURSE have I seen this wonderful build before! :cool
I just missed the addition of the Naked Runner barrel feature(s), esp. the small latch. mgoob planned to have such a barrel custom made, but never got around to do this afaik.
I guess your base is Daves steel barrel from the first run, correct? What was involved to add the latch/ how did you get this to actually work?!

Thx, Markus :)

Yes. Daves steel barrel. Cut a rectangular notch and drilled a hole lengthwise to insert a spring bar with machined latch lock.
I made a threaded insert to simulate the rifle barrel threads and left a slight raised area as a gas seal.

Ive seen some similar barrel locks and tried to match the lock as close as possible from the best images.
Should be pretty close. There are actually scratches behind the latch lock tab that can be seen on some stills.
I also cut a relief inside the booster to allow the latch to insert without forcing it. Just Compress the latch lock and fit the booster over top.

Thanks so much for this! This is outstanding work. I wish I have the funds to make one so I need to resort to 3D renderings and 3D prints :(

Was wondering if I can get some measurements. I'm trying to create a 3D CAD version of this as accurate as I can get it. Here are few pics of what's been done so far but need the dimensions for the parts that are colored in red.

FYI I'm still in the process of modifying the body & grip indentations and markings and other details to match.

DL-44-Red.pngDL44-Project-001.pngDL-44-Project-003.pngDL-44-Project-002.png

Last edited:
Thanks so much for this! This is outstanding work. I wish I have the funds to make one so I need to resort to 3D renderings and 3D prints :(

Was wondering if I can get some measurements. I'm trying to create a 3D CAD version of this as accurate as I can get it. Here are few pics of what's been done so far but need the dimensions for the parts that are colored in red.

FYI I'm still in the process of modifying the body & grip indentations and markings and other details to match.

View attachment 651360View attachment 651363View attachment 651361View attachment 651362

It is the wrong type of Mauser for the OT DL-44s. Look at the C96 model.

and kpax, this is fantastic. Love how it was an MGC. It is really a very close replica with the different trigger and hammer. Where do you find mauser parts like this? I've actually only ever seen a real Mauser in a museum.. lol

Last edited:
As Mortifactor said, you have modeled a 712 Mauser like the one used in TFA. I don't have the dims offhand but many are available in the http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=118186 thread.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=250942

Looks like you are off to a great start!

View attachment 651360View attachment 651363View attachment 651361View attachment 651362

Last edited:
Thanks!

All the MGC parts were modified with a file and Dremel grinder. The hammer is a replica of a real Mauser hammer that I molded in Zamac (the same metal as the frame) I needed to modify the lock work and add the serial number.

The trigger is the MGC that I reshaped and bent to match the Mauser. I also recut and modified the rear sight notches and numerals as well as the button release knurls and bolt grooves to accurate number of grooves and pattern.

Thanks for the kind words!

It is the wrong type of Mauser for the OT DL-44s. Look at the C96 model.

and kpax, this is fantastic. Love how it was an MGC. It is really a very close replica with the different trigger and hammer. Where do you find mauser parts like this? I've actually only ever seen a real Mauser in a museum.. lol

Beautiful work! Thanks for the pictures. I have used these a lot for reference and I am about to use them some more. I am working on a live fire build at the moment and I am about ready to do some weathering. Did you have any special tools or techniques you used? Or was it more or less being deliberate and patient. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

Thanks for looking!

Really just 0000 steel wool, scotchbrite does the best. Just go slow. The wear should be in logical areas wear there would be rubbing contact with holster or would contact if you lay the gun down. The high spots.

You can always add more bluing or paint if you go too far. Blue on -blue off. Several layers work best. If it's a realistic, used looking blaster, the more you beat it up the better.

For the crossbar detail pattern, I think someone posted a printable pattern.

In reality, the "damage" pattern is from removing the scope mount from the crossbar. As you slide the mount forward, the edges of the rear of the mount gouge the crossbar to create the long scratches. The center thumb screw causes the middle damage.

For the live fire I'd look at Scottjua's builds. He's the live fire master. There are a few mods you may need to do to get it to cycle correctly.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back