2-1B Surgical Droid

Good man,

It looks like they are the same kit. I'm not really up to speed on studio scale bits and bobs.

I'll send you some Revell bits, pm me your address Chris.

Never tried a Renwall but they're in the old and new Revells.

I found them in my Renwall kit. I never looked at the revell when I had one.

I was going to make some casts if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
It looks like a drill bit painted blue.

it's definitely blue plastic. it has some kind of base and what looks to have some kind of mounting hole on the side.
I was thinking something along the lines of one of these, but from the '80s. It might make sense being a medical droid that they may have slapped some medical things on it.
images.jpg

I'm talking about the very end not the Base part. You can see the flute twisting around the 'shaft'

I don't have any pictures of it to look at but from your descriptions could the blue thing be one of the dental reamer files as used on the Fett helmet, gauntlets and jetpack?

no idea what they are, i need to pay more attention to stuff that ain't robots.

anyhoo i had a brainwave, yes the first ever.

so there are some v8 engine parts on screen head and inside the mouth there are some half cylinder shaped things......
if only there were something like that in the engine kit?

not saying its definite but looks to be the right size and if they were cut up.....

possibly... or mold marks

I also noticed the repeat piece use.

As for the V8 parts... those pistons are what I'm missing... so I can't test that theory out. Dangit.

Go with me on this. My brother and I were talking about it while bored at the family cabin on christmas.
What if all of those various eye tubes were all parts of a clicking retractable pen?
From photo left to right
img001.jpg

1. the clear ink well tube
s0065211_sc7.jpg

2. the click mechanism
Ballpoint-pen-parts.jpg

3. the cone shaped metal tip where the ball point comes out
RZ-ST-CHR-web.gif

4. part of the pen shaft.
axel-beta-pocket-inkless-pen-silver-0b0.jpg

It might make sense that they had a box of them laying near by and just kit bashed the whole pen.
what do you guys think?

Last edited:
Hey guys. Tell me what you think of this color. It's so hard to find an exact match in the states but I think this turned out pretty close. It's hard to judge because it looks so different in different lighting. The same is probably true for the actual prop which is why this color is so difficult.
low light
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451426479.658534.jpg swempire_0840 (1).jpg
bright light
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451426463.753772.jpg img001.jpg

also keep in mind this is just the base coat. I haven't done any washes or weathering. that will take the sheen down a bit and make the details pop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
looks pretty good trent, i have been painting one up myself and used a dark grey tamiya wash for the pits, it gives a better finish than the black that lots of folk are using,

I tweaked it a bit. Added some silver to wash out the blue a bit more. Some dark gray to take it down and then some of the original blues because I got it too dark. At one point it just sort of looked right so I stopped.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451439840.568361.jpg

Oh and zorg here's your white line in the neck ring. You thought nobody was paying attention. :)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451439890.056466.jpg

I got the lights put in, the mic installed, found a PERFECT hose at home depot for $4 and used the extra piece of aluminum strip to add the other three silver bands on the hose. Put the magnets and aluminum strip in.
I'm about to install the neck but I wanted to see if I could somewhat replicate what's inside the mic first.

The original neck looks to be slightly frosted in my opinion. Not 100% transparent. So I sprayed a light coat of matte clear on the inside of the neck piece. Looks pretty cool. More pictures later.

I actually used a scotch pad on a reject neck to dull it down a bit so yeah i agree it looks a little clean/clear in its raw state.

i'm also using brushed alu tape for the areas above and below the white sandwich on the neck ring. looks better than silver paint ever will.

also for adding the alice band, all i do is fold the metal tape around the edges (approx 1 inch) of the head and secure it inside, works perfect
just make sure its tight. this takes away any risk of denting or damaging the thin tape.

i also put a brown wash inside the eye cavities

I tweaked it a bit. Added some silver to wash out the blue a bit more. Some dark gray to take it down and then some of the original blues because I got it too dark. At one point it just sort of looked right so I stopped.
View attachment 571141

Oh and zorg here's your white line in the neck ring. You thought nobody was paying attention. :)
View attachment 571142

I got the lights put in, the mic installed, found a PERFECT hose at home depot for $4 and used the extra piece of aluminum strip to add the other three silver bands on the hose. Put the magnets and aluminum strip in.
I'm about to install the neck but I wanted to see if I could somewhat replicate what's inside the mic first.

The original neck looks to be slightly frosted in my opinion. Not 100% transparent. So I sprayed a light coat of matte clear on the inside of the neck piece. Looks pretty cool. More pictures later.

That looks pretty good, what paint did you end up using? I've held off on mine until I could find a shade I was happy with.

What do you guys think of these impromptu eye details?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451450498.476501.jpg ScreenShot001.jpg

Shenphong, I used duplicolor light blue metallic and Avignon blue metallic. Found them at o'reilys auto parts.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451450675.878950.jpg

Light blue first then Avignon misted over it. It was still a bit too bright so I misted silver on top of that to take out the blue a bit. Then dark gray in a very light mist to dull it all down. Got it too dark so I missed the blues again very lightly.

Last edited:
Hi all !!
Man Your so close !!!
Does this help ?
Your definitely on to something here great detective work trent :) !!
Love your build so far and info !

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

are we sure about that? is there any other pictures showing that it's clear? Reason being, I found a clear piece around the house and tried it with a blue rod inside it and it didn't look ANYTHING like that.

Trent you got any pics of the neck with the varnish on it?

I'm just about to fit a neck, want to see what yours looks like.

Oh and i Got my side pieces in from kurtyboy today.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back