My lifesize IG-88 project ( IG88 1:1)

There wasn't just one in ANH, there were probably eight which is how many there are in one engine. They also used the outer casings in the Cantina and elsewhere.

So it's possible some were saved from ANH.

Oh I know that! :) I've made more than a few heads for both cantina and land speeder projects. Out casing were part of the Falcon's guns I believe.

Scott

Sorry Scott, misread you.

Hmm... I wonder if your castings originated from one of the real flame tubes I cannibalized from a scrapped engine back around 2005/2006?

Probably. I got it from another RPF member. It had a dent along the side. With that I made a mold and went on to make all the "heads" used in the Volkswagen Cantina commercial, the heads in the various Nerdist Cantina comedy videos, and a bunch for a certain company that I can now no longer discuss! Time for a new mold, though. The one I have is limping along on it's last leg.

Scott

Reunion after 38 years!

It was such a great honor for me to present my lifesize IG-88 to Bill Hargreaves. :)

IMG_1710.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My questions?

1. How exactly was he painted?
2. Did you have any design concepts sketches other than the ones form Ralph MacQuire?
3. Were the legs welded to a base and there were no feet constructed?
4. Was he all metal and therefore very heavy? Is that why he was destroyed because he was too heavy to keep?
5. Were his hands also airplane parts or were they machined?
6. Was his heavy blaster an afterthought or was it built especially for IG88?
7. Any commentary on his bandolier? Was it made from a seatbelt?
8. What did you use to make the two scopes that stick out of his head?
9. What’s inside the head?
10. Did any of his joints move?
11. What were the shoulder pads?
12. Were you happy the way he turned out? He looks bad ass.
13. Will he help us build?
14. Were all the parts from the same plane?

1. No details; he used red oxide primer, paint for the plastic parts and a metal polish
2. No, Ralph Macquarrie was not involved; the IG-88 design was 100% made by Bill
3. The legs were screwed to a wooden plate and for stability reasons he added two triangle metal sheets
4. Nearly complete metal, weight was about 350kg!!! They simply scrapped everything
5. His hand came also from airplane parts, he couldn't remember exactly, maybe from a seat; only a few parts were hand-crafted such as the shoulder caps
6. the IG-88 blasters were slighly modiefied stormtrooper blasters, not a special build for IG
7. No seatbealt; it was a leather stripe
8. the eyes/scopes were no real scopes; they came from a oil/pipe system (Bills assumption); material was bronze or brass
9. please see post before :)
10. the arms had a ball joint which could be tightened with a screw; otherwise no joints
11. Bill couldn't remember exactly; it was a soft rubber-like material
12. Sure :)
13. He is willing to answer any questions as good as possible
14. Hard to say; all the parts were stored in boxes and already disassembled from the origin main part

Looks like IG88s arm in the foreground of this picture. Not to mention a dash panel on the control council. Great recycling.
241851_548923571801625_2107216661_o.jpg

Last edited:
Hey that's a great finding! It's definitively the same part as you can find it at the upper arm of IG-88.
Bill told me that they used parts of an airplane landing gear to build the arms.

Arm.jpg

I just made a couple with the old mold and they still come out good. Just takes a little sanding of where the imperfections are in the mold to even things out.

Scott

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back