EFX DARTH VADER ANH PCR HELMETS (SPECIAL and STANDARD EDITIONS)

I've compiled some c-scar data. Will get back to you later.

smith_1.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have suggestions for fine tuning the c scar without messing up the paint beneath it?

Hasn't it been said already?

Buy some novus plastic polish #2. If you don't have that, get some of the stuff you use to buff scratches out of cars. One guy used mineral spirits but I wouldn't recommend it.

Based off of what I see and the surrounding features, this is how I feel this is broken down.

Given the colors created by the scuffs and scratches that surrounds it, the C-scar IMO is nothing more than a simple scratch. I deemed the "depressions" I annotated on either side of the C-scar due to the dark-shadowing which surrounds their "centers", which is suggestive of less light being reflected back, creating a dark-spot, hence, at that point, the surface is sitting lower than it's surroundings - a "dent" or "depression" in the surface of the helmet. If it were even and flat like the rest of the surrounding areas, there would not be a dark-spot surrounding it, like the C-scar or the other blemishes/scuff marks.

View attachment 653047

Here's the un-touched screen cap

http://caps.pictures/197/7-starwars4/full/star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-720.jpg

FIFY. ;)

anh vader helmet scratch analysis.jpg

...but technically, the thin little highlight isn't the dent/ding. It's the area just to the right of that highlight. What you're seeing is the left edge catch light, much like the dent just below and to the right (above Vader's mouth/below the cheek). Not saying there isn't paint or a scratch there - likely a combo of all three...

Hasn't it been said already?

Buy some novus plastic polish #2. If you don't have that, get some of the stuff you use to buff scratches out of cars. One guy used mineral spirits but I wouldn't recommend it.
How does that affect the C scar but not the paint beneath and around the C scar?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Don't have it in hand yet, but either the black area is unpainted, or the c-scar paint is on top of black and will wear away quicker.

The overall paint job for the special edition is actually really good.
For those few who have an issue with the way the c-scar turned out, it would be so much easier to fine tune that tiny area to your personal taste than it would be to paint up an entire regular edition from the ground up.
That to me makes the most sense..

I think your right Gino.
But because the EFX-shipping for a SE version to europe is over 350$ it would be nice when you could give some tips for painting the ANH brushed look for our Standard masks,please.

Quick post but anyone complaining about this helmet, other than the ones with obvious defects, does not deserve one. This helmet is awesome for what it is. Can you tell which one is the PCR Special and which one is the Legend?

IMG_4605.JPG

IMG_4603.JPG

IMG_4607.JPG

Quick post but anyone complaining about this helmet, other than the ones with obvious defects, does not deserve one. This helmet is awesome for what it is. Can you tell which one is the PCR Special and which one is the Legend?

It's pretty easy to tell the difference by Vader's right cheek. The PCR on the left in the photo has the overly thick c scar and is much cleaner as far as edge weathering on the same cheek. The Legend also appears to have weathering around the nose edge.

The choice to put a bad c scar and no other noticable weathering are my only complaints about the Special Edition PCR. The basic shape and base painting look very good. It would have been better to just have the same paint job without the c scar if doing the more complex finish of the Legend is too expensive.

Other than the seams for injection molding, the Special Edition PCR looks pretty much like a more cleanly painted Legend. I just wish the c scar wasn't there. It seems odd to add one not so well done effort at showing battle damage, but none of the rest. Either do the battle damage the way it should be done or don't do it.

Last edited:
What is the best brush and color to paint the ANH Gunmetal look?I wanna repaint my standard helmet like the Legend.

http://www.heycomputer.com/IMG_4605.JPG
http://www.heycomputer.com/IMG_4603.JPG
http://www.heycomputer.com/IMG_4607.JPG

Easily. Look at the mouth/teeth and nearly every edge around the nose and mouth.

Still a great helmet for the price (if you're not paying $500 in shipping fees).

I think part of the problem is that some folks aren't considering is that while the "c-scar" is a popular point of the ANH vader, if you take a step back and look at the helmet as a whole, it's a pretty small/subtle detail to begin with and blends in with the surrounding weathering/paint work. That blemish to the left-side of the C-scar I'd say is more prominent than the scar at all, but it's not visualized on the PCR SE.

The entire emphases of adding it to the PCR SE makes it look just out of place due to the fact that it was essentially put on there as a "HEY LOOK AT ME! i'M RIGHT HERE GUYS!" because of a fan-created bias more than an actual consideration for accuracy. Hence, it was a singled out detail by fans while totally ignoring the rest of the other details, which are just as pertinent to accuracy.

And a final note, to those who say this C-scar thing has been a "huge debate" for whatever amount of time, well, I think ya'll just wasted your time arguing to be honest.

As for the PCR itself. $300 is whatever, it's a decent looking helmet. Just needs a better paint job. That's really the bottom line here.

It wasn't a totally serious question guys. It was to point out the fact that the similarities outweigh the differences.
The similarities are very good. Whether or not the Special Edition PCR is right for someone will vary based on what they are looking for and what they are willing to spend. I could still see people chosing to go with a much more expensive fiberglass helmet with more accurate weathering.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

They should have left the c out if that was the only artifact they were going to include.

Shoulda been an AFBB.

I agree that it looks horrible. But even if it was perfect... It makes no sense to have it without the rest.

Amazing deal. Looks great next to the legend! Thanks for the pics Clutch. (Hope you and your fam are well bud!)

My legend is in its box away from my monster cat... I sure would feel safer with this PCR on display!

Hummbrol looks pretty close IMO....used it for a TIE helmet re-paint not too long ago..

I think Tamiya Gunmetal is also very good.But whats the best brushsize for the Vadermask?

@Clutch:Thanks for this great pics.That shows how great the new plastic helmet looks.I think with some putty in the grooves and some work on the mouthsection it will look a lot better.:):thumbsup

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back