EFX DARTH VADER ANH PCR HELMETS (SPECIAL and STANDARD EDITIONS)

final comment, accounting for inflation.... 300 dollars today buys you EXACTLY what you would have paid for....or your parents paid for... a don post std helmet in 1977, you have to compare these two helmets, not compare a PCR to a SL, TM, ETC....

In regards to Anovos: I have no problem with a company showing "prototype images" of their pre-order pre-production products. However, the Anovos TK bucket has been shipping since February, and they're still showing the prototype images. Compromises have been made to the final product compared to said prototype image, and if I ordered based on the prototype image, and received what is now the final product, I'd be cranked. There's no excuse not have the final product images up in August (six months after the final production has been shipping and delivered).

I agree with that. Once a company has the final product, the website should have photos of that product. Perhaps for legal reasons they would still have the prototype disclaimer, but it should be the best representation possible of what the customer will receive.

That is the concern with the efx Vader PCR Special Edition. The photos on the website are not representative of the paint job on the product the customer receives.

Anovos, as well as all other companies, should update the photos of their products once they have the final product.

final comment, accounting for inflation.... 300 dollars today buys you EXACTLY what you would have paid for....or your parents paid for... a don post std helmet in 1977, you have to compare these two helmets, not compare a PCR to a SL, TM, ETC....

Nobody does compare the PCR with the Legend. Its a great helmet for the money and eFX did the best regarding the shape they could do with a plastic helmet BUT there was no need to make such a laughable C-Scar for even more money than the normal version. At least they could have painted on the scar like on their legend version...thats it.

Not true. According to the ad on this page the original don post helmet retailed for 39.95 in 1977/78. Thanks to the trusty U.S. Government Bureau of Labor Statistics' inflation calculator we can see that $39.95 in 1977 had the equivalent buying power of $158.90 today. So, in 1977, you could get TWO Don Post Vader helmets (or, better yet, one Vader and one Stormie!) for the equivalent price of ONE eFX PCR Vader today.

F1AEA47E-66E1-431A-A158-0ACE1CF7D63E_zpsy9jryx3m.png

Not true. According to the ad on this page the original don post helmet retailed for 39.95 in 1977/78. Thanks to the trusty U.S. Government Bureau of Labor Statistics' inflation calculator we can see that $39.95 in 1977 had the equivalent buying power of $158.90 today. So, in 1977, you could get TWO Don Post Vader helmets (or, better yet, one Vader and one Stormie!) for the equivalent price of ONE eFX PCR Vader today.

View attachment 652153

You also have to think about how much money people made back then. Salaries have stagnated while the dollar has decreased in value, meaning people back then had more disposable income. That being said, $300 for this helmet is a great buy.

PJB-1138: "It can be knocked down with a cotton swab dipped in mineral spirits.

so am I correctly to assume that the c-scar was hand painted? if that is the case I guess it will be a lucky draw on how well it will turn out.

I will admit that I know nothing about making helmets, but would it been better to actually make a decal of the c-scar then apply it onto the helmet during assembly/painting? (any talented artist around here can make one? :))

I was basing my calcs on a selling price of 79.99. what I saw in costume shops bitd, which is 318, so yes retail would be half, numbers aside, pcr is still more bang for the buck now than helmets avail then were,

also only comparing the value of the STD, the SE price upgrade, and CA state sales tax, doesnt seem worth the increase in cost.

Last edited:
I think this C scar thing sent a lot of people gaga. Way too much time and energy has been put into it.
Every nutjob should have a C scar tattooed on their cheek.

Keith.

Hey guys so it seems that it showed up early and I was able to get some photos of the helmet including the scar to help out the community. if someone can please look at picture #10 for me, to the left of the nose there are some pretty odd discolored paint strokes, can you please let me know if this is normal?. This is the special edition helmet for those who might be wondering.

[url]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s253/braves68/DSC00112_zpsmzfg6evk.jpg[/URL]

For the gun metal areas, the SE will have a brushed-on look which will show a mixed combination of black and gunmetal along the brush strokes. You do see that in the original mask. Of course some artistic license is employed to replicate it.

On the regular edition, the spray paint on the ones I've seen was applied evenly. Some color variations are are due to the lighting. The (intentionally) uneven surfaces will reflect light to the viewer at different reflection angles causing different mixing of the paint color and reflected light color.

Fedex and UPS are ridiculously expensive if you make no effort to negotiate with them based on the quantity you will be shipping. Perhaps EFX's problem is they don't know how much they'll be shipping, because it's an infrequent event.

I use a broker who negotiates rates with the big couriers, so anyone who uses the broker gets the much reduced rates. A box that I might pay £75 ($100) for would cost more like £300 ($400) direct with UPS. Why they couldn't use USPS Priority is beyond me though.
I bought my Darth Ugly a few years ago from Bookface and I was surprised at how comparatively low the shipping cost was. I was expecting much higher. $75 USD for UPS 2nd day international shipping for a fiberglass helmet with lots of padding in a big box, arrived on schedule too. He must have some serious negotiating skills!

To accurately reproduce the C-Scar, you'd need to punch or melt a dent in the mask at that spot to create the sharp shape contour transition along the outline of the C-Scar.

To accurately reproduce the C-Scar, you'd need to punch or melt a dent in the mask at that spot to create the sharp shape contour transition along the outline of the C-Scar.
I understand what you are saying, but for this helmet I think people would have been perfectly happy with it looking like the prototype photos which are on the efx website. If that look can be done for the price point, the product should look like that. If that look can't be done for the price point, the prototype should not look like that. I don't think the purpose of the prototype is to show how it can look if you get the helmet repainted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back