Rook 3

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Has anyone IDed the gas/oxygen mask from Avatar? I'm certain it's not a found item, but does anyone have any such found item ideas that are in the ballpark? Otherwise it's going to require sculpting... that I'm bad at. :)

I thought that if you couldn't find an off the shelf item, perhaps you could vaccuform the frame and clear shield, with resin greeblies bolted on. Probably have to add a foam rubber gasket around the edge so the vacced frame doesn't chew into you too badly.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Russ

Well, some pics would be helpful - BUT! I've used some google-fu my own and combed over ~150 HQ pics regarding the Avatar gasmask. And I think it's a custom-made so called "Powered Air Purifying Respirators"/"Supplied Air Respirator Systems"- full face mask. I've also combed several sites of gas mask manufactures like North, Willson, MSA, but just a few maker exist, that do a full-face mask with polycarbonate visor in THAT particular style - Scott Health and Safety and 3M.

I myself have the Scott Vision 2. Hope that enough info.

Sorry, got busy and forgot to post examples.

45d6ee6f.jpg

8ac4e8fc.jpg

Last edited:
I have several hundred mask images old and new. That's not like any of them. That looks like a hollywood 'can you see my face' special. Or just plain cgi.

Well, I believe the reflections were CG, yes. Not sure if they laid it on top of the glass or the glass was fully CG.

A lot of them were practical prop masks. In the weapons thread someone posted a picture of some guns on the workbench, and also on the workbench are a half dozen what look like vaccuform pulls for the face mask shield.

Picture originally posted by Sith Sherrif Brody...

ee9654f6.jpg

Russ

Last edited:
I imagine they went with CG glass in certain circumstances where improper reflections would be seen (Light rigs, cameras, etc.). Not unlike the movie "Stealth" where they CGed most of the helmet visors.

When I saw the film I was thinking to myself, if the masks were "off the shelf" these would be a really easy build! Nice detailed picture, thanks for sharing!

I don't know Kev... that looks... pretty frakking close! :D

Nice find!

7dbd008f.jpg

I wonder how hard it would be to resculpt the shield to make a vaccuform buck from?

It would be a good base to start from anyway. The cost is about $100 or so.

Russ

Last edited:
well, Just as I said, Scott or 3M are the makers doing this style. If you know the 3M number you can see on ebay, if you can get one - or just bluntly ask Weta workshop, if there any chance that those gasmask are being made as a replica prop.

That red dotted thing on the upper top of the mask looks like a garage door sensor. I swear I had the same style used in a former home.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back