Solo: A Star Wars Story

Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo)

I enjoy Pine as Kirk. I'm willing to accept the differences in look and voice and enjoy a new take on the character even though I adore the Shat. So I think it's much more constructive to be flexible in regards to those criteria and see what the actor and story can deliver as opposed to all the premature rage us see all over the Internet amongst some people. And based in the casting choices made for TFA I would give LucasFilm a huge amount of benefit of the doubt.

i hate Vic's Kirk, he's horrible and is a terrible actor.

WOW! Really? I really enjoyed Pine as Kirk. I thought he did a wonderful jon. And Vic as Kirk... Loved it! Both embodied the same spirit! :)

Chris Pine has more talent in his left side burn them Vic has in that absurd bouffant on his head.

Pine may very well be the superior actor, generally speaking. But Pine can't hold Vic's jockstrap, when it comes to playing Kirk.

The Wook

- - - Updated - - -

WOW! Really? I really enjoyed Pine as Kirk. I thought he did a wonderful jon. And Vic as Kirk... Loved it! Both embodied the same spirit! :)

No fence-riding, Sofa...who did it better? lol

The Wook

But back on topic, I think Han Solo and Indiana Jones can be played by actors other then Harrison Ford. Weather or not it works remains to be seen.

Pine may very well be the superior actor, generally speaking. But Pine can't hold Vic's jockstrap, when it comes to playing Kirk.

The Wook

- - - Updated - - -

No fence-riding, Sofa...who did it better? lol

The Wook

LOL! That's funny...

I can't compare. Two very different actors portraying to very different same characters? I dunno... I got nothing! ;) I do enjoy Vic's version of the OS Kirk. I think he appreciates the original material and the "over the top" acting done by Shatner - who I love!

- - - Updated - - -

But back on topic, I think Han Solo and Indiana Jones can be played by actors other then Harrison Ford. Weather or not it works remains to be seen.

Well... that's the real trick isn't it?

LOL! That's funny...

I can't compare. Two very different actors portraying to very different same characters? I dunno... I got nothing! ;) I do enjoy Vic's version of the OS Kirk. I think he appreciates the original material and the "over the top" acting done by Shatner - who I love!

You'd make a great politician, Sofa. lol

Maybe Bryan should play Han Solo. I know Bryan's like 50 years old, but he is a world-class Ironman triathlete, so I bet he looks 22.

The Wook

I've been agonizing over the lack of any clear data on this film (to maybe drag things back near the ostensible topic -- and not vent my rage at JJ-Trek). When the Big Canon Announcement came down two years ago, I was rocked back on my heels, but once I recovered, I got cautiously optimistic that the Story Group might go back to first sources and jettison bits of the EU that conflicted with what we saw onscreen in the OT. But this is an era that has me a little nervous. There were things in Star Wars (and Empire) that every film and EU source since has interpreted in... shall I say "creative" ways...? I personally prefer to take a "minority report" view, and tacitly ignore the one conflicting data source. So, really, my first sources are Star Wars and Empire, and I applaud anything in later sources that augments what we see in there, and reject anything that conflicts. Starting with Rebel and Imperial uniforms and insignia in ROTJ.

One thing I'm gigglingly gleeful about in Rogue One is that we're seeing "summer" versions of the Hoth Rebel uniforms, giving me hope that this is the standard attire of Alliance personnel (until they changed it to that awful ROTJ uniform). I have always squirmed under the costuming groups calling the troops on Leia's ship "Rebel Fleet Troopers", as that's moronic -- having uniformed Rebel troops on board is a perfect way to maintain your fiction that you're an Imperial ship. :rolleyes I've maintained for years that that's the "garrison" uniform of the Imperial Senate Guards in this era, that they tend to be more loyal to their senator than the Empire, and that the ones we see in Rogue One are part of Mon Mothma's contingent.

Similarly, the Imperial pilots in black fligth suits and Stormtrooper-esque helmets are -- wait for it -- Stormtrooper pilots. The Prequels did a good job of establishing that those armored troopers maintain their own pilots and armored-vehicle operators, independent of regular Republic/Imperial military. We see in ESB (and ROTJ) what both Stormtrooper and non-Stormtrooper armored-vehicle operators look like (Veers and the AT-ST crew, versus the AT-AT drivers). I miss the original premise that the Alliance to Restore the Republic was largely comprised of people who were alive during, served in the military of, and had the old uniforms and materièl of the Republic -- i.e., flight suits and helmets with old Republic-era squadron markings, often incorporating the Republic logo (the "anchor"/"starbird"). Regardless, I cling ot the notion that Imperial Starfleet pilots (and maybe pre-ANH-era Senatorial pilots) have something more like the Rebel pilots or how Baron Fel was depicted in the interior art of "In the Empire's Service":

11368947895_d9a8627311_zpspen7qtzs.jpg

I can fudge the 181st's use of Stormtrooper flight helmets as an affectation to make them more fearsome, and that they can get away with post-Endor because of the breaking-down power structure. I feel standard-issue would be more like yakcam's helmet:

imp-1.jpg

Maybe even with the longer visor and removable air mask the Star Wars prototype helmets had:

X-WingProtohelmet1.png

Maybe even Han's blast-shield helmet... ;) Because... After TPM came out, and we saw Republic pilots in medium-blue versions of the later Imperial uniforms we were more familiar with, that seriously helped the EU notion that Han had been an Imperial pilot at some point. As it developed further that those were personnel of the Judiciary, who formed the Senate Guard and piloted senatorial vessels and such... It still works. He just would have been with those forces, rather than in the Imperial Starfleet. As there are "class A" and "class B" type Imperial uniforms seen in Star Wars (the double breasted jackets and jodhpur breeches, versus the single breasted jackets and straight pants), I see Han's ANH pants and ESB jacket as his retained fatigues after he got drummed out of the service.

All of this is internally consistent and supported in the films themselves. But I'm not 100% certain the folks in charge have actually stepped back and looked at what's in the movies and are sorta making things up as they go. Like how the guy in white in the Rogue One teaser looks to be wearing the "Imperial Security Bureau" uniform... but the jacket is the regular Imperial Starfleet cut, not the version of the ISB jacket we actually saw in Star Wars -- with the abbreviated chest placket and no breast pockets. Is this intentional? Or is it a screwup? So I worry other things implicit in all six extant films (not counting TFA) will either get missed or misinterpreted for this. And I ultimately don't know if I'm eager for the Han Solo film, or dreading it.

--Jonah

Attachments

• 11368947895_d9a8627311_zpspen7qtzs.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 47
    88.9 KB · Views: 57
    88.9 KB · Views: 51
    88.9 KB · Views: 57
    88.9 KB · Views: 48
  • imp-1.jpg
    imp-1.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 55
  • imp-1.jpg
    imp-1.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 57
  • imp-1.jpg
    imp-1.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 63
  • imp-1.jpg
    imp-1.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 50
  • imp-1.jpg
    imp-1.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 53
  • X-WingProtohelmet1.png
    X-WingProtohelmet1.png
    303.4 KB · Views: 53
  • X-WingProtohelmet1.png
    X-WingProtohelmet1.png
    303.4 KB · Views: 57
  • X-WingProtohelmet1.png
    X-WingProtohelmet1.png
    303.4 KB · Views: 54
  • X-WingProtohelmet1.png
    X-WingProtohelmet1.png
    303.4 KB · Views: 55
  • X-WingProtohelmet1.png
    X-WingProtohelmet1.png
    303.4 KB · Views: 54
Last edited by a moderator:

This is 100% what I want. Boba is a bounty hunter that does the job... right or wrong, he just gets it done.

Have him on the hunt, western style, with minimal lines for 110 minutes. That's it. With Boba it doesn't have to be some huge in-depth backstory. You literally don't need any of his backstory to make a cool movie starring Boba.

Some guy did something bad and stole from the wrong people (whatever). Boba is hired for a job because no one else in the system can catch this guy. Boba agrees for a steep price. He cracks some skulls, breaks some fingers, disintegrates a few people, and eventually they lead him to the antagonist. Is that an original story? No, it's pretty much every western you've ever seen. BUT it's cooler because Boba Fett has a cool looking helmet.
Totally.

That fact is, both dredd and mad max pulled off what we thought was impossible. And they prove that a fett film could work.

Hell, it could even be played by the dude from ATOTC. Maybe his helmet could come off once...but that's it

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Blast it... he better do a good job!

BTW... can we get some more detailed images of the Nav Computer? PLEASE?????

Can I throw my hat in the ring as a young Solo, lol

Last edited by a moderator:

I understand where you're coming from, SofaKing. But for such an iconic character as Han Solo, who's only ever been played by Harrison Ford, for me to buy in, the man they cast in the part needs to bear a fairly strong resemblance to Ford. If you can't find a man who does, and who possesses adequate acting chops, then I say don't do the film.

My biggest concern is that Disney will be putting too much weight on what they perceive to be the bank-ability of a rising young star, at the expense of BOTH acting chops and a physical resemblance. They don't need a heart throb for teenage girls. They're not casting for the newest member of boy band One Direction. Star Wars sells itself. Particularly a Star Wars film that will feature 3 iconic characters: Han Solo, Chewbacca, the Millennium Falcon.

And one more thing. It's not all about his looks. He's gonna need a reasonable facsimile of Harrison's voice, and be able to combine his acting with a solid overall impression of the character. I hear people say, "I don't want an impression, that's all Anthony Ingruber can do.". And to them, I say, I DO want an impression. Not the kind of over-the-top caricature impression a comic might do in a stand-up act, but strong incorporation of detailed physical (gait, posture, gestures, facial expressions) and vocal attributes and tendencies.

Let me ask you a question, SofaKing. And to anyone else who'd care to respond. What do you enjoy watching more? Chris Pine's Kirk? A performance in which he didn't much look like Shatner, didn't sound like Shatner, and didn't act like Shatner. (Well, except for one brief moment at the end of the movie, when he playfully skipped down the steps in the bridge and gave an order to Sulu or Checkov to "get us out of here", or something like that. It was an obvious impression of Shatner's Kirk, and for me, the best part of the whole movie! I thought to myself, Jeez, why didn't he do more of THAT during the film?!) Anyway, do you enjoy watching Pine's Kirk in ST09, or Vic Mignogna's Kirk in Star Trek Continues? Vic pretty much nails Kirk, and if his voice was just a little deeper, he'd be just about perfect. As is, he's uncanny. And a good actor, too. Probably better than Shatner! lol

I would watch Vic in STC any day, over Pine in ST09.

The Wook

I was with you on all of it till the Kirk analogy.

I think though that's because I never personally cared for Shat, so to me I'd rather have Pine because he isn't doing Shat.

However in the case of Han Solo I agree with you... and I think that's probably because I love Harrison Ford. :lol

My opinion is I'd rather sit through two hours of a good Harrison Ford impression (face, voice, and mannerisms) in this Han Solo movie, than a great actor playing Han, but having little resemblance to Ford. It'd be easier to buy into that way, at least for me. If they don't/didn't pick that guy with the home Ford impersonation YouTube reel (the same guy that played the younger Harrison in that movie last year) to play him, Disney is ***** up in a big way (for me)...unless they found a better Ford impersonator.

I realize I am probably espousing an unpopular opinion here.

I'd just like to see whoever is cast capable of doing, say, a Ewan MacGregor level version of the OT character. He did a fantastic job as Obi-Wan in my opinion, adn while he wasn't a perfect 100% recreation of Sir Alec Guinness, he did an excellent representation of him. He's one of the undeniably good parts of the PT, and most of you know my attitude on the PT overall.

I think that needs to be the real benchmark here. It's not how good of an impression you can do or how close you look (although, really, Ingruber would've been the best choice there), but rather whether you can capture the soul of the character and come "close enough" with the impression side.

...the same guy that played the younger Harrison in that movie last year

When I watched "Age of Adeline" the only parts I really enjoyed were Anthony Ingruber's scenes. I went back and watched them again they were so enjoyable.

When I watched "Age of Adeline" the only parts I really enjoyed were Anthony Ingruber's scenes. I went back and watched them again they were so enjoyable.

He didn't have much in the way of lines, but wow, he sure did look like Harrison. Anthony Ingruber was the only reason I saw that film. I went to see it in the theater. I wanted to see how he did outside of youtube. I wish he'd had more dialogue.

The movie was decent, I guess. But yeah, other than AI, the only memorable parts for me were the scenes when old man Harrison first saw Adeline, and the awkward/funny dinner table scene where old man Harrison reminisces about Adeline in front of his wife, son, and Adeline. lol His wife was pissssssed! lol

The Wook

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back