Half Life 2 civil protection WIP build - starting the uniform (Page 6)

Re: Half Life 2 civil protection WIP build - first costume, have questions

coming out awesomely, are you going for the Barney detach where the back of the helmet is still on his head but the mask comes off? or full helmet pullover?
When I produce castings, the helmet will be one piece, plus the lower filter as a separate part that you'll attach yourself (to simplify the moldmaking). However, you're free to cut it up and do a Barney-style helmet if you want!

Just gonna ask, if you ever do a run of this cast i will pay top dollar for it, it's absoloutely beautiful!
Awesome, thanks! I'll make sure I notify you when the time comes. ;)

Today, I got a special package frome Shapeways! This was my reaction.
shapeways.jpg

wsw.jpg

I'm going to have to re-mount the upper filter because it's too low right now, and the lower filter is just for show, since I'll be molding and casting it separately. But this should give you guys an idea of what it's gonna look like! You can also see that I've made some adjusments to the front of the upper "lip". I'm going for a more angular look than I was before. What do you think? This way or the old way?

Bonus: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3911100/mask/wsw2.jpg

Just a few more things and I'll post an interest thread in The Junkyard and start buying supplies from Smooth-On!

Also, in a few days I'll be posting a surprise...

Last edited:

How has nobody responded to this yet! It's looking amazing Rubber Slug . I can't wait for your JY thread.

However, your surprise had better not be an Elite helmet or an AR2... >(

Last edited by a moderator:

After all these years I finally get to see good CP.

This thread is like a saturated bath of Half Life wonderment! Fantastic stuff

Haha thanks! This weekend I'm gonna be making the mold, so there's something to look forward to.

I need some help--I've applied a thick layer of Rebound 25 to one side, with a clay wall set up to divide the two halves. The clay is sulfur free, or at least it's supposed to be. Problem is, the Rebound 25 that's touching the clay isn't curing. I've been both busy and in denial, so I gave it about 5 weeks to cure (I know!) and it's still not.

Should I start over with a different clay? Should I do the method where I cut the mold into different pieces? Would the geometry of the helmet allow or a one-piece mold?

I'm not really sure what to do here :/

Geez. As I said in PM, I've never worked with Rebound, but after 5 weeks I think you have to call it a loss, especially when according to the datasheet the demold time is 6 hours. I've done some major screw ups using MoldMax 30, such as adding only half of the required catalyst, and that still cured after a couple of days.

Did you contact Smooth-On about it? If you start over, I'd get the clay they produce. It's pretty cheap too. And maybe something besides Rebound?

I think I have to stick with Rebound at this point. I bought the larger quantity of material, so I've got 200 dollars worth of the stuff. I didn't realize Smooth-On made clay so I'll look into that. And no, I haven't contacted Smooth-On yet, so I'll do that too.

I'll have to re-sculpt the clay on the front once I get the new clay, which is annoying, but there's no way around it I suppose.

EDIT: This is the clay I used. Smooth-On's FAQ says to apply a sealer over material that inhibits the curing, so I'll probably do some small-scale experiments with that so I don't end up wasting my rubber again.

Last edited:

Okay, it's been a long-ass time I realize but I'm attempting round 2 on the molding process. Just applied the first coat of silicone rubber.

Mainly I'm just trying to prove I'm still working on this :p

Xw27RJ4.jpg

I'm also playing around with Marvelous Designer to work out a pattern for the soft part (collar/neck seal). I may have something, but I have to build some kind of prototype in real life and work out the kinks before I can be sure.

Nice to see that you're still working on this, Rubber Slug! Really sorry for the first attempt failing, but good to see that you are past that and now making another attempt.
Your helmet looks really clean and smooth, i was wondering if you still have the pep file? It would be awesome if you could upload it somewhere if so.
Good luck with this attempt!

I do still have the file. I would actually not recommend using it, however. I ended up having to do a lot clean-up work in the Bondo stage that could have been avoided if I had spent more time fixing it on the computer. Basically the in-game model is really low detail and a lot of it is inconsistent with the actual texture. I fixed many of those problems, and also tried to increase the "wearability" of the helmet by making it shaped more comfortably for a human head. However, like I said, I ended up making a lot of changes that were hard to keep accurate, symmetrical, etc.

Here is the pep file:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3911100/CP-helmet.pdo

Yay! Glad to see you haven't given up on this. Mold making and casting has actually been the hardest part of the process for me, not so much making the master. I surely feel your pain.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back