Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Here's to hoping they decide to go this way instead of how they have it in the trailer. I don't care for all the fancy camerawork, at least not for star wars. I'm a traditionalist that way.

I wouldn't hold my breath! :D that's most likely the final composite for that scene. I'm sure there are plenty of stabilized action shots but for this moment it seems to be an exciting escape scene and the shaky "chase in the wake of the ship" feel gives it tension and excitement! I personally love it.. its a roller coaster ride and I'm all for going along for the ride!

I don't mind shaky cam near as much as most people seem to, I just don't care for the flipping up and down of the camera trying to "follow the ship." Star Wars is supposed to be a space fantasy, not a documentary.

As far as holding my breath, don't worry, I love Star Wars, but it ain't worth dying for. :p

See, the shot is still plenty exciting even after you take the Abrams out of it. :)

Actually, in the stabilized shot, I can tell what's going on. In the original shot, I had no sense of where the Falcon was in relation to the ground or the TIE fighters, even tho the information is right there on screen.

See, the shot is still plenty exciting even after you take the Abrams out of it. :)

Actually, in the stabilized shot, I can tell what's going on. In the original shot, I had no sense of where the Falcon was in relation to the ground or the TIE fighters, even tho the information is right there on screen.

I can't disagree with that point of view.. I have to admit, the stabilized shot was indeed more OT and would have been just as fine.

The stabilized shot is WAY better! The flippy shot comes off as just gimmicky and takes me out of it by reminding me it a CG shot. I can actually see the falcon just skimming the surface and blowing up dust.

cop6k3xxuqgry51d8fgw.gif

va3eructcvuwzkhlprav.gif

I also yearn for the older aesthetic but we also need to appreciate an entire new generation of kids would find that kind of effect shot boring. In all aspects of considering the elements of these new films, we old fans must keep in mind they aren't being made just for us.

I also yearn for the older aesthetic but we also need to appreciate an entire new generation of kids would find that kind of effect shot boring. In all aspects of considering the elements of these new films, we old fans must keep in mind they aren't being made just for us.

I don't mind them updating the style and using a more modern approach to the shot, I just personally find it too disorienting for it to be as effective as it could. You completely lose orientation halfway through, and you don't get that impact that should come from seeing the MF fly so dangerously close to the ground, because you don't know where the ground is at all, because of all the flipping.
Aside from that, I think it's cool to see some acrobatics from the MF in a way we weren't able to see in the OT.

True though that may be, I honestly think kids would find that kind of battle just as exciting shot in the "older aesthetic" as in the new. It's the battle they enjoy, not the way it's shot

You can't please people. When everyone blamed Lucas, they were calling for different directors. Now they want to cripple those directors with "make it the same!"

the he whole flick isn't going to be crazy shots like that, but that dizzying move is meant to bulld tension and excitements, and I'm sure in the context of the scene it will be great. It wii be sandwiched with establishing shots... You'll know the ground plain, orientation, then when that shot plays out, you will feel the disorientation of making such a bold move.

watch the helicopter chase in mission impossible 3. It's great.

True though that may be, I honestly think kids would find that kind of battle just as exciting shot in the "older aesthetic" as in the new. It's the battle they enjoy, not the way it's shot

These kids nowadays have the attention span of a flea. :)

The Transformers movies epitomize that. it's all about action and motion, color and sound, and not clarity and story. It's a style. It will get old eventually.

k

You can't please people. When everyone blamed Lucas, they were calling for different directors. Now they want to cripple those directors with "make it the same!"

the he whole flick isn't going to be crazy shots like that, but that dizzying move is meant to bulld tension and excitements, and I'm sure in the context of the scene it will be great. It wii be sandwiched with establishing shots... You'll know the ground plain, orientation, then when that shot plays out, you will feel the disorientation of making such a bold move.

watch the helicopter chase in mission impossible 3. It's great.

^
THIS!
thank you!

when I saw the trailer the first time and the falcon scene I blurted out loud "WOW!!!!!" it was and still is thrilling when I watch it.. .in the movie on the big screen I bet I blurt out WOW again! :D

Actually one of my complaints about the prequels was that the action was too fast and incomprehensible in some places, that the films looked to video-gamey. So in that regard Abrams is just carrying on in the same vein.

Actually one of my complaints about the prequels was that the action was too fast and incomprehensible in some places, that the films looked to video-gamey. So in that regard Abrams is just carrying on in the same vein.

I agree on that. Lucas doesn't have an eye for action... It was a mess. He had the tools, so he could now move the camera around, but he's not a great action director, so it was boring/messy.

The other thing to consider as far as old style of shooting ships vs new is that I imagine that the older, more stable style was more of a matter of necessity due to the limitations in what could be done shooting miniatures along with doing optical composites. Making the ships in CG and compositing digitally allows the director far greater freedom in composing the shot.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

The other thing to consider as far as old style of shooting ships vs new is that I imagine that the older, more stable style was more of a matter of necessity due to the limitations in what could be done shooting miniatures along with doing optical composites. Making the ships in CG and compositing digitally allows the director far greater freedom in composing the shot.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

And Lucas has said, and shown, that he patterned his space battles after WW1 and WW2 dog fights. They weren't doing crazy multi loop loopty loops back in Dubbya Dubbya One!

What a bunch of old codgers around here! In 1977 middle aged people complained that the movie was too hyper and effect-driven and showy too, right? NO kid in 1977 would've wanted things "stabilized" or "slowed down" or any of that! Jeez, the Falcon shot rocks and kids will love it :lol

Some of you guys have spent the last 30 years staring at blurry stills of model parts and have forgotten how pant-wettingly over the top some OT shots were back in the day with waves of TIEs and asteroids and my oh my!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back