New Star Wars Costumes: The Original Trilogy Book by the creator of the RPF!

Star Wars Costumes arrived. Such a GREAT book, it is excellent for any Star Wars fan, no matter if prop collector or not.

BookStarWarsCostumes01.jpg

BookStarWarsCostumes02.jpg

If anyone has specific questions on the book feel free to post here and I'll try to address.

I waited until its release so I could pick out the best-looking copy at my local Barnes & Noble. I am, however, holding off on buying it because I think someone may have picked it up for me for Christmas. I did flip through it, though, and you did a lovely job. I know space constraints and all that. I'm curious -- would doing separate books for each of the three films not have been an option, granting you more room for each?

Two specific things that jumped out at me as "off".

The Imperial Officers only got a single two-page spread, in the "Star Wars/A New Hope" section. And the big photo was of a black and a steingrau uniform. But the black one of that cut wasn't introduced until Return of the Jedi. The black uniforms in Star Wars were almost totally different (while still having the same general appearance), and were probably repurposed Fireman uniforms from when Fahrenheit 451 was filmed there a decade earlier. They're identical to those costumes, down to the princess seams and topstitching. And I was surprised and a little sad to see no photos of the mystery officer's light gray jacket/black breeches and cap uniform:

dsofficer03-1.jpg

Or the "ISB agents'" uniforms:

anh11_3.jpg

I don't know what I'd've suggested getting squeezed down to make room for another two-page spread for the ANH Officers, but there's enough going on with those that there should have been, I feel, even a little more. I don't even know if they kept those black uniforms after filming wrapped on Star Wars. I'm guessing they'd wanted to make something more like the ones we saw in ROTJ, but hadn't had time/money to get it done before they would be needed.

The other thing is the Royal Guard in the "Return of the Jedi" section. I fell in love with these guys when I first saw them in early '83, moreso when I actually saw the movie later that Spring, and absorbed everything I could about the costume from Bantha Tracks. When I found out about the 501st back in late '01, I knew instantly it was going to be my first costume, and my research redoubled. I remember a behind-the-scenes interview with someone back around the time the movie came out (maybe Nilo, not sure) sying the robes were made from Theater curtains. I never knew if they meant actual salvaged/repurposed theater curtains, or if they just got a roll of theater curtain fabric. I know those were the folks I sent set photos and screen-grabs to to help me figure the fabric out, and, from the weight and drape and light-kicks/reflectivity, they said it was probably the fairly standard 21-ounce cotton velour -- which is available standard in the exact shade of those robes, and in substantial widths (no back seam on the robes). So I don't know why it would have to have been custom dyed. It's even also available standard in the more maroon/burgundy color of the lining. Which brings me to...

Are the inner parts of that costume really so pale? Everything visible, from the costume test photos that are out there to the flashes we can see in the movie and its deleted scenes, has always indicated -- to me, anyway -- darker tunic and trousers and gloves:

EmperorsRoyalGuard27.jpg

Or were those photos from partway through the process and they got dyed darker for the actual shooting? I have to read that section properly to see if any of those questions get answered in the text. I only had a limited amount of time, and that's what I took away from the photos and their captions.

Those are my only quibbles about a generally damn fine book, sir. I am definitely going to be getting it, and hoping it sells well enough that LFL will let you maybe do a revised and expanded edition in the not-too-distant future. ;)

--Jonah

Got mine today through Amazon, along with a copy of Star Wars: Tarkin. Not a ding to be found on either one so pretty much in keeping with my service experience with Amazon. I'm sorry to hear others haven't been so lucky...

I've not had time to sit down and really absorb the book in detail, but I'll echo the resounding sentiments of really all the other posters in that this book is excellent. I went straight for the Emperor's robes and Vader's reveal. As for the Emperor, I don't know how anything could have been done here that's any more revealing than has been done elsewhere as it's a pretty straightforward affair, so I'll just say I like what's there just fine. More so, though, I really liked the alternate take on the Vader ROTJ reveal and would have liked to see a much larger photo of that, but that's just my nitpicking. So in summary, an all around great set of photos and I'm looking forward to taking in the text as well.

Thank you Brandon for a job well done! :)

Hi Jonah,

You've asked some good questions! I'll see if I can answer.

As you noted, the book was limited by size and page count and there simply wasn't room to cover everything. These films are so rich in detail - you could go on and on in studying the costumes and variations forever. We tried to cover all major costumes and variations, and there simply wasn't room to give any more coverage to the Imperial Officer costumes. I would have loved to have shown the ANH NY Police-style tunic, with the ribbon covering the tunics original buttons.

DSTrooper.jpg

I don't believe anything from Farenheit 451 was used in Star Wars. We do touch on those tunics (and the ones from Blue Max they considered using) in the book, but the 451 tunics have a very different collar.

imperial uniform 233.JPG
Most likely they served as the model, and new tunics were made specifically for SW. The Archives does not have any of those in the collection, or the beige colored jacket, although again we did touch on it in the manuscript.

As for the Emperor's Royal Guard - good pick-up on the gloves. This was one that just slipped by us - the gloves in the photo were made for the prequels (Episode 3 I believe) and are not original to ROJ. The photo shoot for the book was a very ambitious project requiring coordination of a huge number of costume elements, so unfortunately there there are a few glitches like this. In a few instances the original components for a costume (boots, for example) did not exist and we had to use a similar "stand-in" version for the shot.

The undergarments for the Royal Guard were re-used from ROJ for Ep 3. They carry production labels from both ROJ and Ep. 3. The Ep 3 gloves were made new. The original ROJ gloves are darker, as you said, and are long - elbow length.

The guard's main cloak was absolutely custom dyed for the film - as was just about every yard of fabric used...

Best,
Brandon

Attachments

• imperial uniform 233.JPG
    imperial uniform 233.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 118
Hello Brandon!

Absolutely amazing book. Were you able to have any detailed photos taken of Luke Skywalker's Belt from ROTJ or Ben Kenobi's Belts? The pouches specifically, as they are somewhat of a mystery to many costumers such as myself.

Thank you and everyone involved in the making of this book. It is an essential for any and all Star Wars fan's collection!

Psab Keel

I never knew Lando had the Glenross screw on his wrist communicator... In addition to Vader and Boba, I wonder where else those little things turned up.

Thanks for the answer, Brandon. :) As I said, I know I need to actually sit down and read the bloody thing. Those were just some off-hand things that leapt off the page at me. I'd been researching the Stormtrooper Officer and Royal Guard costumes for so long, the differences were like flares.

I don't believe anything from Farenheit 451 was used in Star Wars. We do touch on those tunics (and the ones from Blue Max they considered using) in the book, but the 451 tunics have a very different collar. Most likely they served as the model, and new tunics were made specifically for SW. The Archives does not have any of those in the collection, or the beige colored jacket, although again we did touch on it in the manuscript.

Oo, that bites. :angry What happened to their "never throw anything away" tendencies? I hate the thought a costume/prop may be lost and gone forever.

Regarding the Fahrenheit 451 uniforms... I've seen that picture before, and -- as with the suede bits on the Biker Scouts -- the collar has obviously faded over time. Compare the guys in ANH with these stills from F451:

Fahrenheit2045120Wallpaper201.jpg

fahrenheit-451-2.jpg

...and the collars look the same color as the rest of the fabric. *shrug* It's just one of those things I've always found curious, like the different cut of the "ISB agents'" jackets. It's faster to use one pattern for everything. And so many other things are the same, like the row of topstitching about an inch and a half in from the vertical edges of the front placket. On the F451 jacket, that looks to be where the velcro was -- on both sides. Seems a curious thing to carry over, where none of the other Imperial jackets have any topstitching at all.

With all the observed differences and no one ever finding any in the Archives, I have wondered over the years if they were, in fact, F451 costumes that they had to leave at Elstree after filming, and thus why new, standard-cut, jackets were made for ROTJ. That might also be where the other jackets are, too, for whatever reasons.

As for the Emperor's Royal Guard [...] In a few instances the original components for a costume (boots, for example) did not exist and we had to use a similar "stand-in" version for the shot.

I do remember Steve Sansweet describing "orange suede rodeo boots" for the originals... *heh*

The undergarments for the Royal Guard were re-used from ROJ for Ep 3. They carry production labels from both ROJ and Ep. 3. The Ep 3 gloves were made new. The original ROJ gloves are darker, as you said, and are long - elbow length.

*faintly desperate look* So help me understand why they look so pale in those photos and so dark in production stuff...? Could it be reflectivity or similar? And I do so love those ROTJ opera gloves. I made mine out of burgundy suede. :D

The guard's main cloak was absolutely custom dyed for the film - as was just about every yard of fabric used...

Curious why they did that when the exact fabric and color they were going for is available by the hundred-yard roll wholesale...

--Jonah

Got my book yesterday from Amazon. This book is amazing.

Are there plans to do one for the Prequel Trilogy?

Also, a version for props/weapons and one for Models would be great as well.

Got my book yesterday from Amazon. This book is amazing.

Are there plans to do one for the Prequel Trilogy?

Also, a version for props/weapons and one for Models would be great as well.

For Prequels I think there is Dressing a Galaxy. For others we have Sculpting a Galaxy, SW Archives etc. But any new book with props, weapons and models would be awesome and I'll get it for sure - though OT only for me.

Stansfield

Jkno is correct. I was about to reply but he beat me to it. :)

I prefer OT as well. If you're interested in the "Dressing a Galaxy" book, let me know I have the first release and I am looking to sell it. Send me a PM. Sorry for the plug. Lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got mine from Amazon, damaged so it will have to go back.

I assumed there would be more props in the book since so many went with costumes.

Are there plans to do any follow up book focusing on the props/models, etc????

I hope so since it seemed there was a specific effort not to show props

My apologies if this has been asked.

I got the book for Christmas and I absolutely love it! I immediately looked up all of Leia's costumes of course, but found one bit of information that's hanging me up quite a bit and I'm wondering where it came from.

The book claims Leia's Senatorial ANH gown is made of silk crepe de chine.. All the information we've seen before has said that Leia's dress was made of a knit, possibly a polyester-like knit, though most info comes from the ESB dress which is shown on exhibits and in promo pics (and the pics in the book) Though we haven't seen the actual ANH dress, crepe de chine seems highly unlikely as it's a very thin fabric and doesn't seem like the right texture (though, we don't know what was available 30 years ago). I'm just curious what other people thought of this information? This is so new and strange after what we've spent years believing!

Here's a sample of crepe de chine I happened to have on hand.
crepedechine.jpg

Last edited:
I just got this for Christmas, too! After I unwrapped it, I couldn't put it down for at least 20 minutes, even though there were more presents to open! :p

I spent a few hours poring over my favorite costumes, and I'm really looking forward to reading it cover to cover. Amazing book, Brandon, thank you for creating this for all us fans! :) It also may or may not have re-sparked my interest in doing an X-Wing pilot costume...

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back