New Star Trek TOS Phaser coming November 2014

I will definitely be getting at least two of these.
Depending on how good the nickel-plated die cast bits look I may replace them with aluminium parts.
I’m sure the aluminium upgrades available for the diamond select phasers, wouldn’t be too difficult to adapt.
My only criticism is that they’ve made the joint on the two halves of the P2 body central, not offset like the original and the Master replicas P2. However this is a very small criticism.
This is going to be a great product at a great price, and I love the case.

So guy's. would someone please excuse a dumb old man. and tell me how the remote part works. whats a gesture based remote?

An internal sensor can pick-up sudden movements up/down, left/right, and forward/back. Instead of pushing a button to choose channel up or volume down, you gesture the remote in the appropriate direction to send a command. Though it makes a lot more sense to have these features in a Sonic Screwdriver or Potter wand, at the end of the day it's little more than a means for the company to produce prop replicas at an abso-frikkin-lutely ridiculous pricepoint, and I highly doubt anyone anywhere actually plans on using this as a remote except to make sure the electronics work!

I Have no Interest what so ever In the remote. was wondering tho. I just want a real to TV show size phaser. thanks RoboTrap.

I'd like a B&W, but since these are sonically welded shut it might be a hard mod.

ABS cuts easily enough, but would require more work to clean up. But regarding upgrades and mods, I don't see much point to it. This is an idealized replica and I'm content to leave it as such.

I am so stoked about getting one of these I hope it all works out ! nice if they did a remote control communicator next lol

How about a tric with a working TV, or at least an MP4 player.

Does anyone else remember the Mark VII Tric and Phaser universal remotes from the '90s? Let's hope they don't! I'd love to see some TNG/DS9-era replicas. Just not the Mark X Tricorder again... not that ugly thing again.

The images on their site are 3D renderings, but Richard says they'll have a sample to show off at SDCC next week. So somebody head over there and take tons of photos! :D

But yes, this looks like a very very sweet phaser. And with a minimum of effort (less than to modify an AA toy!) you should be able to kick it up into full blown prop replica.

k

....Like he said.

I hope someone at the show can take pics of the actual product. I'd like to see the build quality and finish up close.! : )

Prob. the most obvious feature taking it away from a truly accurate prop is the diamond plate Aspirator Grill

In the top view image it looks small? Anyone else see this. May be just the render.

I'd like to get DEC to machine an accurate aluminum replacement. I'll have to wait til November to see if it can be done tho...

The sight plate is the correct size, they remarked about that. I provided a bit of fannish input when they were designing the phaser. :D

This is going to be a great piece! Eagerly waiting for SDCC coverage.

k

You can fix the aspirator grill sound holes by spraying adhesive on the back of ordinary aluminum tinfoil and rubbing it on to the grill and carefully trimming the extra off.

Karl, thanks for helping Wand Company with feedback on the Phaser.

Last edited:
Hopefully I can put it in my grubby hands at the con, curious about the weight. I have gotten used to the MR being a metal brick.

You can fix the aspirator grill by spraying adhesive on the back of ordinary aluminum tinfoil and rubbing it on to the grill and carefully trimming the extra off.

...yes, but that foil would never hold up to being thrown at a Gorn!

Thanks for the idea. ; )

kpax, that idea was suggested by the makers in answer to a question at another forum. They did say the holes are in response to volume for their props.

I kind of like the holes in the grill, almost like emergency plasma vents or a badass hemigrill on top of the P1. I'm leaving mine as is.

Here's what I imagine happens with those open grill holes shortly before full overload.

P1hemigrill_small_zpsc87ea6a6.jpg

Last edited:
You weren't kidding when you said it was shiny! I'd be tempted to take some steel wool to it, but as it's a plated finish, is there a safer route without resorting to satin clearcoat? I wouldn't want to wear away the nickel.

I would not be surprised to learn that the prototype finish isn't final. Given the images and information the company released last week, they seem to be intent on that aluminum look. Having seen last year's sonic screwdriver come together, their attention to detail is intense. I'd bet they're working towards the accurate finish for the production pieces.

These guys are super nice there too. I have no doubt they want the best possible given the price point and purpose of the product.

I just ordered one from the Star Trek shop after getting a discount email that knocked it down to $112.48 before shipping. :thumbsup

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back