ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

just make sure he understands that the thread needs to line up.

May be easier to braze the washer in place then drill and tap perpendicular to the flat of the frame and then "flatten" the outside surface parrellel to the frame and other washer/crossbar set-up.

He could braze a tapped washer but it would be harder-I think- to keep it perpendicular. can be done but...not that you will be using the scope since the proper way to shoot this blaster is with your eyes closed. :lol

You can always "slot" the holes in the crossbar if he misses a bit ; )

May be easier to braze the washer in place then drill and tap perpendicular to the flat of the frame and then "flatten" the outside surface parrellel to the frame and other washer/crossbar set-up.

That does sound like a better idea. I figured if the threads didn't line up it wouldn't matter much since there would be so little thread in the magwell wall, but I like your idea better. I'll have him braze a solid disk on, mill it so it's top surface is parallel to the rear, and the same height, and then drill and tap it. Does that sound right? Thanks for the help!

I think so. The solid washer (s) should stick out just a bit (hair) more than the height of the receiver rail so the mount clears it.

Piece of cake!

Sounds like a good plan. I think I might go it myself... MAYBE

Question... if brazing with silver... what are you going to do about the finish of the braze? Paint?

On another note... here's some education reference. Real/MGC/Denix Comparisons (They're larger images than the forum shows so view image in new window/tab to see)

L20140129-155505.JPG

L20140129-160014.JPG

L20140129-160027.JPG

L20140129-160038.JPG

L20140129-160100.JPG

L20140129-160116.JPG

L20140129-160132.JPG

L20140129-160137.JPG

L20140129-160240.JPG

L20140129-160319.JPG

Very cool comparison! I had no idea the MGC was such a complete replica. Thanks for posting those.

As for the silver brazing on my real Mauser. Uhhh... well, I just got back from the shop and after all that discussion I just ended up TIG welding threaded spacers in place. I cut down the thumb nuts from the kit on a lathe and used those as the spacers. I can now swing this thing around by the scope, bash it into walls if I so desire, and it's NOT coming apart.

I do have more cleanup to do than I would with the brazing, but I didn't have to drill or tap any holes and it's really rock solid. I'll post some photos later. I'll use a combination of bluing compound and paint (I guess) to finish everything, but luckily it's all hidden beneath the crossbar.

So you used the thumb screw knobs as the spacers??? Welded them in place so no drilling into the body and then what are you using for knobs???

am I getting this right?

Yep, that's about right. I sent a PM with more details. I'm ordering another pair of thumbnuts from McMaster Carr. They're a standard part. Here's the link: McMaster-Carr

And here's a pic of the weld in it's max-ugly state. Gonna take some cleanup work:

Weld 1.jpg

And here's a WIP shot with button head screws standing in for the soon-to-arrive thumbnut replacements:

WIP.JPG

Last edited:
very nice pics Scottjua...

That welding should hold it! VFX!

...but silversoldiering/brazing is used on guns all the time like connecting double-barrels on shotguns, and installing ribs and such. They finish up ok ; )

Yeah, the welding is a bit crude for this application, but I took advantage of the fact that my friend's dad, a master welder, was in the shop today. I probably should have been more patient and looked at other options, but at least now my scope is mounted! She's a wonderful thing to behold! And to hold...:)

The weld is great. Just a little grinding (careful) on the bottom to dress it a bit and you will never see it!

Plus, now you can cosh people on the head with it if you run out of Blaster ammo!

hey live fire guys... how does your sleeve barrel fit? I cut my mauser down today and the bull barrel leaves a little gap on the left side. I thought about filing away some metal but I don't think it will fit flush even still.

Looks like to get it prop accurate though I need to file a bit.

Anyone else???

Oh and I already contacted Dave, but my 2nd run parts kit is missing the flash hider!? Doh!!

That's an amazing collection of photos! What I wouldn't give to run amok in the archives...

And for scottjua, regarding the live-fire DL-44 and the barrel sleeve: I was lucky enough to get one that fit my barrel perfectly without the need for any filing. However, I have spent the last two days sanding and filing down the weld beads used to mount my scope. Getting there ever so slowly. Pics to follow eventually...

Yes, thanks Bodie27 - some of those pics are very helpful.

It's interesting to see what age has done to some - hints at what materials may have been used.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back