Rumpelstiltskin from OUAT - Updating jacket and boots with leather!!

Eveningarwen

****another edit!! 5/28/2013*****
So these costumes still aren't finished but they're pretty dang close!!! One of these days they will be done enough to put into the showcase section hahahahha! But for now enjoy these photos!

AND A SPECIAL THANK YOU TO RPF USER FAILLE FOR LASER CUTTING OUT MY CROC VEST!!!!! SO MUCH BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And now the slew of photos. I'd warn you all in the headline but I can't seem to edit it anymore. Sorrrryyyyyy....

*****edit 05/20/2013

So I'm updating even more with my Belle costume that will go with Rumple! I would have edited the title of this thread to show that info but for some reason I can't seem to??? But yeah, here is my Belle dress so far and also my blue contacts! They look good without the flash but with flash is when that unnatural hue tends to come through. But hopefully when I do my makeup for real and my hair that will help blend the color a bit. Plus they really enhance the actress Emelie De Ravin's eyes (which are already a wild color blue) so hopefully it still goes.

Without flash:

With Flash:

Beginning of Belle dress hanging out with new Rumple costume jacket:

Starting to work on the beading/hand sewing around the collar area. This is going to take time and probably wont be finished for the sat event but I'm going to try my hardest:

A more full view of the WIP dress:

I'm going to put this at the end of this thread as well just in case anyone may miss it here and because I will continue my updates from that point on as well.

*****edit 01/21/2013*****

I have decided to update this costume to put a bit more time and perfection into the materials and the styling. So I will be redoing the jacket and boot spats out of leather and the pirate shirt out of silk. I will also be adjusting his makeup and he will have contacts when we do the studio photos of this costume when it's finished. If you go to the last page the updated comment there has a photo of the leather and everything else I will be changing.

****edit*****

So the costume is finished! I still need to take more pro photos of the costume to really show off some of the detail and have a more controlled environment but here are some photos from the masquerade ball that we went to!

RumpelstiltskinRPFHalloween-1.jpg

RumpelstiltskinRPFHalloween4.jpg

RumpelstiltskinRPFHalloween2-1.jpg

RumpelstiltskinRPFHalloween3-1.jpg

So I'm making this costume for my fiance because apparently no matter how hard I try to make him a "normal" costume, I see something like this character and I get all giddy. I'm pretty sure he's becoming concerned about how attracted I am to the "creepy" characters lol! So here is the costume I'm going to aim for:

Episode-1-04-The-Price-of-Gold-once-upon-a-time-26318588-1056-1590.jpg

Here's a cleaner view of his under costume which I will be replicating some of. The costume above has the jacket so I wont be doing the sleeves on his vest or the high collar since his jacket already has a high collar. I also will be doing leather pants instead of the burgundy pants since the costume above has leather pants.

RumpelstiltskinSeason1.jpg

Here's another really good view of his under outfit:

Rumpelstiltskin-rumpelstiltskin-mr-gold-27041696-1920-2560.jpg

Right now I'm trying to focus on his shoes:
Image1.jpg

I'm having a hard time finding the perfect shape. All the boots I've found do not lace up so I would have to cut a "tongue" for the shoe and punch in holes on the sides. The few that do lace up don't come high enough up the leg. None of them seem to have as pointy of a toe and the ones that do have a pointy toe have a really weird heel. I've tried looking up dress, shoes, womens shoes, cowboy boots, ankle boots, demi boots, shoes in general.....I've looked up snake skin, snake print, snake boots, alligator and crocodile print and skin and the list goes on. I don't have $400 to spend on shoes, I'm looking for $100 preferably. Here are some shoes I've found but Im still unsure:

Giorgio Brutini

I'll have to cut into it^^ and the toe isn't as pointy as I need. It's a bit shiny but it's real snakeskin so I hope I could "mattify" it if needed. This seems to be my best option.

I found these but the pattern isn't as stand out as I would like and again I'd have to cut into them.
Mens Vintage CUBAN HEEL SNAKESKIN Pointy Shoes / by Flipsville

I'm finding stuff like these shoes but they're really all wrong:

Giorgio Brutini Exotic Dress Men Snake Skin Shoes 15522 | eBay

What would some of you do? Does anyone know of a better place to hunt for shoes like these? Does anyone know of any cobblers that would be able to make the shoes??? I would be willing to spend a bit more money on something like that probably but again our funds are a bit limited. Would some of you perfectionist be happy with that first option I mentioned even though it's not "ideal" but seems to be as close as I can get in ANY budget.

I already know I'm going to use this stuff to do the collar of the jacket. I'll have to soak it and mold it in shape and then I will dye it to be two toned like his is. I still can't tell if it should be black and brown or some form of dark brown and red?? Yeah I haven't gotten that far yet lol!:
Tandy Leather Factory - Impressions Embossed Cowhide Sides Gator Print

If anyone has any ideas for other aspects of the costume or has cleaner shots of things like his jacket that would be awesome! I have an event at the end of June that I plan on wearing my Evil Queen from Mirror Mirror (I haven't forgotten about that thread just been super super busy with other folks costume orders) and my fiance will wear this costume. I figure they're both fairy tales and still fit in a weird way. I'm just not the evil queen from the tv show lol.

Also here is my fiance (badmonkey on here) who will be going as Rumple....I think he's going to pull it off brilliantly! So excited!

DSC_0618.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Rumpelstiltskin Costume - Once Upon a Time

Great character and even greater costume!

Looking at the shoe closeup, I think the buckled strap is hiding the laces. The point of the arrow where you indicate "no laces" appears to point to an empty lacing hole. These same dimples appear on both shoes. I am wondering if the costume designers started lacing the shoes on the next hole up?

Lynn

Looking again at the close up, I think they are ankle high lace up boots. The dimples I mentioned in the above post go all the way to the top. It appears to me that the costume designers ran a leather thong through the lacing holes on each side using a running stitch. The leggings are laced over the top of the boots to hold the boot tops in place. (The same way my Blackfoot leggings are worn over the tops of my moccasins.) Typically, the boot tongue would be as tall as the boot. This one could have been cut down.

Lynn

Oh yeah I saw the lacing holes. What I meant to say was that the boots were lace up boots as evidence of the lacing holes. As far as I can tell there are absolutely no laces in the boots because the shoe is being held together by that added arch strap and the "leggings" that go over the top of the ankle boot and are laced up.

What's funny is you're right, the lacing is most likely a leather strip but when I first saw it the thing that came to my mind was elastic lol! I don't know why but it really looks like black elastic to me because there seemed to be a grain in it that repeated like elastic does. But leather straps make much more sense.

My problem with the boots just seems to be finding any snake or lizard print boot that actually laces up so I can just take the laces out. They all seem to be slip ons with elastic on the sides and I'll have to cut out my own "tongue" for the shoe and punch holes in the side pieces. I just worry that that will weaken the shoe and start to tear further down. I'm unsure.

Maybe I'm just overthinking this whole shoe process lol!

Can't wait to see the progress on this! My boyfriend and I are expecting to do Graham and the Hensel and Gretel Evil Queen costume, hopefully this year!

That is a cool costume! Per the boots--a toe that pointed is called a needle toe.
Nocona Caiman Tail Western Boots - Needle Toe *149 sizes!*

My conjecture is that it's a cut down western boot, with the center front part left tall to become the tongue. Then that laced up legging part is made and the lower part of it is attached to the boot, glued around the back and up on top of the boot where you point to that there is no lacing, it doesn't look like the boot and the legging are separate parts to me?? Then that belt strap part is buckled around the instep.

Maybe you could find an old pair of boots at a thrift shop or garage sale and do some experimenting. You could use some heavy fabric (hopefully also from the thrift store) to practice making the legging part that could later serve as your pattern for doing it in leather.

Shylaah

I applaud you for attempting this project and I look forward to your progress! The first thing I noticed was how awesome the costumes were. Particularly Rumpelstiltskin and Charming's. Midas' daughter had a pretty cool costume too in the last episode. I plan on doing SOMETHING from this show, though I'm not quite sure which yet. Good luck!

P.S. Where are you finding these hi res pics?!

such an easy build just basic costuming check out sum thrift shops for the snake skin boots then just spray the black and thre rest is pleather made to look like snake skin good luyck n yes ur man will look perfect

Can't do shoes, but Tandy Leather carries ostritch leg skins which will be damn near perfect for the under sleeves. They are finished white so they can be dyed any color. I thought they were alligator until I read their sign. Very nice looking.

I agree with you. I think he'll model your costume perfectly. This looks amazing. Can't wait to see the ending result.

Hi, I just had to reply and say what an awesome idea this is :D I'm doing a female version of the costume and just bought these at DSW:

http://media-cdn.pinterest.com/upload/264023596874528775_7Qj2lyYr_c.jpg

You're right, it's hard as hell to find the right kind of boot. Even the ones I got aren't quite pointy enough, but they're seriously the closest I've been able to find thus far. I've looked everywhere. I figured I'd better snatch these up while I can, in case I never find anything better.

They might have something similar for men at DSW? Other than that, I think those Cuban shoes on Etsy would work great. I can't wait to see how this turns out either!

PS: Rumpelstiltskin is sexy as hell.

Love that show and Rumple is my favorite character! I am so envious that you are making that costume! I have followed some of your other costume threads (oh, see how I did that?!) and if anyone can pull of Rumple's costume you can! He will be a huge hit at cons wearing that!!! :thumbsup

such an easy build just basic costuming check out sum thrift shops for the snake skin boots then just spray the black and thre rest is pleather made to look like snake skin good luyck n yes ur man will look perfect

i disagree. having seen eveningarwens works in progress and attention to detail in everything she makes ( and doing some research on this costume myself ) i think it's going to be a well suited challenge! and if anyone's up to it, it's her!

i'm so excited to watch this thread and your work progress!! and yes, he's totally going to suit the role to a T. my bf has a longer face but i'll have to work some wig magic to try to give the illusion of something else.

arwen, try looking up winklepicker shoes ( don't even ask how i came across that term...'cause i have NO IDEA...but it totally sounds like something Rumplestiltskin would wear, doesn't it!? )! here's a shot of some vintage ones...

full.JPG

unfortunately the odds of finding anything that similar now seems minimal, but there are some pretty close shapes that with some TLC might be workable ( and at a lower price point than a lot of other options )!

I feel like suggesting that you look at women's shoes. Which could be problematic if your guy has big feet (The size conversion is 1.5-2 sizes up, so if he wears a 10 mens, he'd wear a 11.5-12 womens). Those shots look like Carlyle has some tiny dogs and that shape almost looks like a stylized granny boot, so it's a distinct possibility.

It also looks like a lot of his leather is synthetic. But could just be lighting.

Looking forward to seeing your progress. Been wanting to see someone do this costume. In general I love the show, but I think the costume design is completely awful with the exception of Rumple (whose I love)...
The queen's are absolutely laughable.

Wow. I don't know why I would have never thought of that but I'm so glad you put that link there. I sent him a message and he replied and directed me exactly to where I needed to go. The boots were custom but this designer has basically the same shoe. I'm pretty sure we just bought the last pair in existence and thank God they were in his size. Here they are:

shoe.jpg

And we are now $200 poorer lol! But I'm so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i disagree. having seen eveningarwens works in progress and attention to detail in everything she makes ( and doing some research on this costume myself ) i think it's going to be a well suited challenge! and if anyone's up to it, it's her!

i'm so excited to watch this thread and your work progress!! and yes, he's totally going to suit the role to a T. my bf has a longer face but i'll have to work some wig magic to try to give the illusion of something else.

arwen, try looking up winklepicker shoes ( don't even ask how i came across that term...'cause i have NO IDEA...but it totally sounds like something Rumplestiltskin would wear, doesn't it!? )! here's a shot of some vintage ones...

unfortunately the odds of finding anything that similar now seems minimal, but there are some pretty close shapes that with some TLC might be workable ( and at a lower price point than a lot of other options )!

I absolutely love that you know that name! Lol! I want to buy those shoes just because of the name hahahahah!

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to really publicly put who the designer is so if you would like to know just message me and I'll tell you. Although I really am pretty sure that was one of the last pairs.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back