Star Wars Battlefront: Phase Zero Dark trooper

ok update! I've done a bit of the review of the faceplate as there were a few details that were bugging me. The mouth piece is too far forward at the edges and I need a bit more curvature in the bottom. Also the eyes are looking like they are just a bit too big.

So I took a deep breath and cut most of the front off, removed about 20mm of material from the side tubes and reattached the front. This has given the helmet a bit more curve and is a lot closer to my reference material. I also reshaped the front ready for the respirator thing.

20160728_170114%20640x516_zpsv4sb0mjm.jpg

20160728_170138%20640x527_zpskm58novv.jpg

I think I still need to tweek the eyes a bit more but I'm getting to the stage where if I change too many dimensions it affects the pieces around it :O But either way it's looking good and it's working nicely with the bucket. Oh yeah I had to add some more material to the lower flare which has also improved accuracy. Annnd looking at the pic now I think the mic tip holes could be a bit closer together

20160728_170227%20640x591_zpsfyqhsjba.jpg

20160728_170301%20640x506_zpseb9nhjhe.jpg

It's still got the attitude. My missus reckons it looks like a bulldog I think she might be onto something! I wonder who designed that helmet?

Last edited:
That looks awsome, and It does look like bulldog indeed, :D I would say it looks spot on, maybe some details are a little off (realy raly little) but no one will even notice without full scale reference picture.

That looks awsome, and It does look like bulldog indeed, :D I would say it looks spot on, maybe some details are a little off (realy raly little) but no one will even notice without full scale reference picture.

Yeah I think I know what you mean, part of if is allowing for the plastic which will add another 2mm or so of thickness to the form. The other thing I've come to realise is its hard to make such a low polygon count image so I've had to make some interpretations along the way!

hey all quick update. I pulled a faceplate in a hurry over the weekend just to see how it was looking. Overall it's sitting pretty nicely and it's allowed me to spot a few alterations I want to make including; angling the lower part of the helmet a bit more it's too square at the bottom, completely redoing the respirator I just need to see something there to find out how it was going to work, the lower jaw needs to be a bit more symmetrical, the tears might be a little too big still.

For the bucket I need to add a bit more material on the flare it's too small in the middle at the moment (must have sanded to hard or something).

But other than that I reckon a nice paint job (and a pair of ears) will put it where it needs to be!

These pics aren't very good but will give you an idea of where the helmets at cheers!

20160802_103503%20640x607_zpswgzwbswd.jpg

20160802_103515%20640x477_zpsshexzova.jpg

20160802_103520%20640x506_zpspw7eeqqh.jpg

20160802_103531%20640x514_zpsvnx6jwdd.jpg

Wow! That thing is huge! How much room is there on the inside?

Yeah it's a beast. There's a truckload of room for your head no need to turn the thing sideways to get it on or anything :). There's a 58mm gap between the eyes so visibility is not too bad. Every time I look at it I think bloody hell it's big but it's scaled correctly the drawings I used so it should go together nicely. But yeah it's a suit that would work for a bigger fram for sure!

hey all needed a break from the faceplate so I finished off the vents for the jet pack. The idea will be to cut slots in the vents to give a bit more depth and 3d-ness. It'll be interesting to see if they come off the sheet ok there' ALOT of undercuts which might lock the piece in the plastic. Only one way to find out :)

20160804_155155%20640x268_zpsdoky4thk.jpg

20160804_155230%20640x580_zpscrvbqnl8.jpg

They need a little bit of clean up but I think they'll look the part cheers!

Superb job my friend! This is the first Dark Trooper attempt i've seen, and you are right on the money. I can't wait to see the continued progress on this!

Superb job my friend! This is the first Dark Trooper attempt i've seen, and you are right on the money. I can't wait to see the continued progress on this!

thanks Clonerocker it's looking like it's going to be a pretty big suit but I think that'll work well. I've got a mate who's volunteered to model it; he's got a bigger frame than me so it should be a good fit :)

Looking awesome. Gotta admit, if you ever do a run of this suit, I might be awfully tempted to get one.

Thanks Blue yeah it's getting there! I'm hoping to start sticking things together in the next couple of weeks, just got to do some adjustments here and there. I'm looking forward to getting some things into paint :)

I will do a probably small run of suits at some stage so I'll give you a yell when I do!

This is coming along great. I will be one of your first buyers when you start offering kits.

Cool nice one S T! I'll be putting up finished pieces as I go so feel free to critique if you see anything. After that I'll have a completed suit and someone to wear it to try and figure out any rigging issues

Cheers
Oota

weird looking ears. Check!
20160812_141452%20640x456_zpsddosxxyj.jpg

On the game model they are just flat lines on the side of the helmet, no depth to them at all. So it made sense to give them a bit of substance so they stick out off the helmet but not too much so that they change the silhouette.

weird looking ears. Check!
[url]http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a549/jhonpog/Dark%20Trooper/20160812_141452%20640x456_zpsddosxxyj.jpg[/URL]

On the game model they are just flat lines on the side of the helmet, no depth to them at all. So it made sense to give them a bit of substance so they stick out off the helmet but not too much so that they change the silhouette.

That was a bit of difficulty using the game models as they "point" outward where as the real TK helmets are rounded out. It's not a "smooth" transition- the face-side is tubular where as just on the other side (toward the back) is flat and sharp.

That was a bit of difficulty using the game models as they "point" outward where as the real TK helmets are rounded out. It's not a "smooth" transition- the face-side is tubular where as just on the other side (toward the back) is flat and sharp.

Yeah that's right :) the side tube suddenly goes all angular before you get to the ear piece which seemed pretty weird to me so I decided a smooth side tube would be better as it would fit with the TK style helmets. It's ended up mean the ear pieces are slightly thicker(deeper) in the front than the back but I don't think it will detract from the helmet

Cheers Chris!

Hey all small update. I pulled the vents for the backpack which came out ok. I've also re-pulled the backpack having vented the OII detail and redone the chest plate having added in a couple of slots I missed last time as well as added some extra height. Bad news is I bloody dropped the form and it cracked along the wood 'sub-frame'. so I now have a nice line in my form hooray.

I'll be building and painting components next week. It's nice to finished with the sanding and bogging (for now)

20160816_160505%20640x304_zpsli6vkecl.jpg

20160816_161440%20640x571_zps4ftkodrt.jpg

20160816_154506%20640x569_zps90crmqap.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back