Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
The back half looks kinda like they took it off a Klingon battlecruiser.

Well in TOS Spock did comment as they compared the Klingon and Constitution class as being similar in design.
He certainly meant from an engineering/function aspect, I wonder what McQuarrie's thoughts were at the time he put his concept together?

I was under the impression from past 'treks', that the 2 nacelles had to be elevated, because anything caught between them would be incinerated when the ship goes to warp. (?)

is this a thing? or did I make it up? I can't remember where that comes from. maybe I'm remembering it wrong..(?)

The side view makes me think this is sometime around TNG. Looks vaguely like a mix between Enetrprise D and E.

IMG_0188.JPG

IMG_0189.JPG

Especially with the nacelle placement.

I was under the impression from past 'treks', that the 2 nacelles had to be elevated, because anything caught between them would be incinerated when the ship goes to warp.

Dunno about that one, but Roddenberry was always adamant that starships had to have EVEN numbers of nacelles (never odd numbers). That's why the "All Good Things" Enterprise in TNG and the Kelvin and various other ships in the JJ Abrams movies, gleefully dispense with that rule.

There was some concept artwork for Star Trek the Motion Picture that had energy discharge between the Enterprise's nacelles, but of course they never did implement that.

Lounge-concept-art.jpg

The Enteprise-D was the first Federation starship to have nacelles mounted lower than the saucer.

ed2a.jpg

The side view makes me think this is sometime around TNG. Looks vaguely like a mix between Enetrprise D and E.

I'm seeing a lot of influences. The swoopy dorsal that melts into saucer at one end and secondary at the other, reminds me a lot of the 1701-D. The side-view proportions of the saucer remind me of the proportions of the 3-foot study model for TOS. The shape of the nacelles remind me of the landing bays of the Battlestar Galactica.

uss-discovery-plans160724p.jpg

USS_Enterprise_three_foot_model_three-quarter_ventral_view.jpg

I was under the impression from past 'treks', that the 2 nacelles had to be elevated, because anything caught between them would be incinerated when the ship goes to warp. (?)

is this a thing? or did I make it up? I can't remember where that comes from. maybe I'm remembering it wrong..(?)

I think they were elevated on all Federation ships because that was just the way they were designed.
The original Klingon D7 the nacelles were flipped downward to make it easier to tell the ships apart.
Keep in mind the original designs were done in the 60's were the design thinking was influenced to some extant by nuclear power.
I.e. keep the nasty radiation stuff away from the squishy crew people.

I think over the years the idea that the nacelles were generating a warp field around the ship came into play.
This is really evident in the TNG on board ship displays in the background.

Thanks. Yeah I'm eyeballing it, so I expect I've made a ton of mistakes. :lol

The Dorsal neck surprised me when I really started looking at it.. it does have a ski-ramp appearance from the top, but is quite curvy underneath.

27889120134_d31a3fd875_h.jpg

27889117534_d39ed6a3d9_h.jpg

I knew there was a rule that they were supposed to be clear from the front view, although apparently they are supposed to have at least 50% line of sight across the hull.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/design.htm

There have been several designs that have strayed from those "rules" though.

http://trekmovie.com/2016/07/23/breaking-fuller-announces-new-series-titled-star-trek-discovery/
UDPATES: During the subsequent press interviews producer Heather Kadin exclusively told Trekmovie.com that the design for the U.S.S. Discovery is not final.
As Jeyl mentioned in post #276, I'm guessing this is Producerspeak for, "We're still working on it to make it look less like a CG ship, but this is essentially the design we've chosen."

...Keep in mind the original designs were done in the 60's were the design thinking was influenced to some extant by nuclear power. I.e. keep the nasty radiation stuff away from the squishy crew people...
This is what I remember reading somewhere more than a few decades ago about the TOS Enterprise--that the warp engines were positioned so far away from the occupied sections of the ship to protect the crew from radiation.

I've not been through the entire thread so may have missed the answer but is the new series set in the universe of original Trek or Abrams Trek ?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back