Textured black spray paint

GrenadeKing

Sr Member
I'm looking for a textured black spray paint to make a replica WW2 lighter. The finish is often called "black crackle". I've seen similar paint finishes on things like small electric heaters and such. The finish needs to somewhat durable and heat resistant, obviously.

I'm thinking about using rustoleum truck bed liner or maybe BBQ/grill paint. I just don't want to waste money on a can of paint that's not what I need so, I'm look here for help.

There are some good images of the texture I'm after on this page:
zippo collector,zippo-zippos-alt-old-black crackle-zipposammler-zippocollector-zippolinks-zippoguide-zippocode-ww2-pre-war-cut corner-square corner

Also, it's worth noting, as these are somewhat sought after collectibles, that I'm making this for myself, not to sell or rip anybody off.

What about a high heat BBQ spray paint?

Edit..I see you mentioned it..sorry. That's the first thing I thought of when I saw the pics.

What about the BBQ paint, in multiple coats, one smooth base, then some sort of spatter like spray to get the texture?

Well, I was wondering if the BBQ paint had a texture already.

I have a can of high temp engine paint in black, I suppose I could give it a spray of that as a base coat, then a spray of some type of textured paint. I just want to be sure I get a close enough texture without having to try out multiple cans of paint.

I use spray-on truck bed liner from Rustoleum everywhere I need a durable black crackle finish. It's on the base of the Tomorrow Never Dies BMW rockets, as well as plenty of bits and pieces on my Horace the Hate bug black anti-Herbie. The great thing is that the paint never wears off or loses sheen if allowed to cure properly. Never.

--Brian

Auto stores have a paint called Krackle or Wrinkle. They use it on dashboards and rocker covers and such. The heavier the coat the more it wrinkles.

I've used it many times.

I would highly recommend a crinkled powder coat if you plan on using it as a functional lighter, it will take a lot more abuse... Costly but rock solid, and the powder coater will likely have a sample board for you to look at...

But if you want simple rattle cans... I would recommend...

PJ1 fast black wrinkle texture paint, it's good to 500° and used by many motorcycle and gun builders...

PlastiKote 217 black wrinkle paint, is another alternative that seems to be pretty popular with car builders...

The originals were painted. One of the things that makes an original more valuble, is how much paint it has left. Since this is also meant as a quick, low budget, winter project, thats a plus.

Sadly, no PJ1 dealers in my area. There are several plastikote dealers though.

Intel says that they were "paint in a thick black paint and baked" so, given the various articles about plastikote requiring several coats and heat, that may be the way to go.

I did a bit of reading on this and seems you can make your own by adding Tung Oil to enamel paint, or by spraying lacquer then enamel over top while wet. Good for strange colors, if it works.

I picked up a can of VHT Wrinkle Paint. It's high temperature, made for valve covers and other engine parts. I did a test on a piece of scrap metal and it turned out well and seemed pretty durable so, I went ahead and painted the lighter.

I think it turned out rather well. There are few spots on the "front" with less pronounced crackle. The can says I can paint it again but, I'm not that picky. It's looks pretty darn good to me. I was even able to mask off the patent information and logo on the bottom as per the originals. I think it turned out nice for a weekend project. :cool

bcziprp012.jpg

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back