Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Bike

20160707_172923.jpg
Yesterday I picked up what I believe could be a possible holy grail real deal X1 that I have been chasing for a while now. Yesterday I struck a deal with the owner and I picked it up. I'm still in shock, it even came with the original fenders. More pics to come!

Guys it has all the little details that only people on this thread would know about. All the little holes for things like the compass, fender skirts, the hole on the guard for the right skirt is there. Mudflap mounting holes are there. The fenders are correct in that the rear is not dove tailed. The union pedals are there, this one has a takagi crank like the Hollywood museum bike. The pinstripes are tape and have even worn out the same like all the other bikes we know of. The paint color looks to be exactly the shade just like the BMoA bike. If any of you guys have other little pics that show specific details please send them my way. I will try and upload more pics, I'm using my phone and it takes forever to upload on here.

I still can't believe it guys!

Attachments

• 20160707_180607.jpg
    20160707_180607.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 135
20160707_180749.jpg20160707_180749.jpg

Has the correct steering tube although this one has not been drilled for a bracket to mount the front fender. The schwinn "S" bolts have been removed and replaced with bolts just like all the other movie bikes.

- - - Updated - - -

20160707_180745.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

20160707_180906.jpg
Hole for the right side skirt on the chainguard

- - - Updated - - -

20160707_180737.jpg
Chrome tape still shows a tiny bit of shine, I'm sure I could clean it and it will polish up but I will leave it the way it is.

I sold a 1964 lime stingray frame/guard to a guy in Los Angeles last year and when he came and picked it up he saw my X1 project and thought it was cool. About 4 months he messages me about his latest find from craigslist. He said the guy he bought it off saved it from the trash in the 80s and that it was the weirdest guy he ever met ever lol. He said it was on craigslist advertised as a JC Higgins bike and it had a price of a whopping $50 so he went to swoop it up for no other reason than in his words "dude $50 bucks for a DX" lol . I finally struck a deal yesterday and picked it up, until yesterday I had only seen 3 pics of it but after examining it and showing it to some of my other bike friends we are all convinced it's the real deal.

I can't believe they would just throw it away, lucky the guy found it, it looks like it may have been used for stunts, with the extensive gusset re-inforcement and pinned handle bars, it's awesome that you ended up with it, congratulations!, another piece of movie history saved for prosperity

Yeah man the frame was reinforced and I immediately thought they used it for jumps. I wish I had more info out could even prove its history but I couldn't be happier to own it. I'm just happy the chainguard is still there so now I can have a accurate template.

Yesterday I picked up what I believe could be a possible holy grail real deal X1 that I have been chasing for a while now. Yesterday I struck a deal with the owner and I picked it up. I'm still in shock, it even came with the original fenders. More pics to come!

BIG CONGRATS, TF: Looking through the pictures, there’s no question it’s one of the original prop bikes. (You can’t fake the constant crudeness and nuances of the originals.) Glad it found its way to someone with the appropriate passion and appreciation for the bike. If my math is correct, this makes the sixth original bike to surface. So … now what? Are you going to fill in the missing parts and restore it or let it stand as is? Regardless, big congrats! Truly happy for you. — BB

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Bestbike! I think it would be awesome to put it back together with some patina parts. It took a while to find minty parts for my X1 build, I think finding parts that are in rough shape shouldn't be too hard. I will try and build it back up to spec and use materials used to make the movie bikes. Again thank you, where are he other bikes that are known? I have seen pics of 4 others, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Where are the other bikes that are known? I have seen pics of 4 others, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hey, TF: These are the ones I know of:

Paul has two bikes. The one on loan to the Hollywood Museum and the “hero bike” with the set of saddlebags that open. He has commented before that it is slated for the Smithsonian one day. (They were interested in the bike but, sadly, not Chairry.)

There’s the bike at the Bicycle Museum of America which was purchased on eBay quite awhile back for roughly $18,000 with shipping.

The bike pulled from the Profiles in History auction a couple years ago which, I believe, is still in private hands of the seller.

The steal of a deal bike that sold on eBay last year that is in private hands.

And … drumroll please … the one you just scored.

Anyone know of any other prop bikes known to survive?

You might as well refurbish the original. From working on your replica, you know what to do. And like you said, you don’t have to be so concerned with perfection of parts. — BB

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not worked on my bike in over year but I ride it. It's 99% complete except for side skirts. I recently had someone accidentally kick off my rear fin. I completely forgot where I ordered the 3/16 read Lexan from. Anybody have a link to where I can get some more so I can make a new fin?

- - - Updated - - -

I also have not been on here in a while and forgot how to post pictures.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back