Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien)

Re: Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien) Its back on!

yes post 518, not mine but the measurements are about the same which is encouraging :D

I had no idea the page numbers would be different :$

Today I tried to read through all (nearly 80 pages !) the amazing help and information in these thread/posts. It is an inspiration and kinda overwhelming at the same time !!

Leigh, are you planning on doing a 'run' of kits/castings in the next twelve months, because I would certainly be interested (trying to sound calm !!).

Leigh Hello, I tried to make teeth with metal and plastic casting resin, but this resin, when solidified, is not transparent, therefore can not get enough chromium effect. Over the resin is transparent, the more chrome effect is heightened.

How much metal powder are you mixing into your resin? I mixed 50 grams of aluminium powder into 50 grams of resin, a 1:1 mix. I read that a 1:1 ratio was the minimum recommended. I also dusted my mould with the metal powder.

How much metal powder are you mixing into your resin? I mixed 50 grams of aluminium powder into 50 grams of resin, a 1:1 mix. I read that a 1:1 ratio was the minimum recommended. I also dusted my mould with the metal powder.

Yes, about 1: 1. But the casting resin that I use, it becomes opaque. Perhaps it remains clear that you are using? Because if it becomes opaque, surely the chrome effect is below potential. Have you tried with a transparent resin or you is sufficient mirroring you've gotten?

In these days I will try with polyester resin. There are also trasperenti like water, but cost more.

Polyester is cheaper & is mostly clear but not as strong without reinforcement as polyurethane.

Polyester is cheaper & is mostly clear but not as strong without reinforcement as polyurethane.

Yes, I agree. But perhaps it is strong enough, taking into account that there is also aluminum. I have to try. In addition, the teeth area looks quite protected against drops, because I think that would collide before other surfaces adjacent to the teeth.

Married! I should be getting on but I've been distracted :$

I'll take this as a hint & try to make an effort :)

I forgot all about that :$ I'll hang on to it for now but thanks anyway :)

OMG - just read this thread from beginning to end! this is outstanding.

was considering starting one myself..... not sure I'm going to bother lol

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back