Sneak Peek of 16 yr old's Wonferfest Model...

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement, I'm relaying it to him..was a real energy boost for him and its keeping him going for the final push!!

Last post for the night...just two days left till it leaves for Louisville KY and Wonderfest...please wish him luck!

Due to work..may not be anymore posts till its on display (if it gets finished!).

Thanks again for the kind words!

DSC_0288.JPG

DSC_0293.JPG

DSC_0301.JPG

DSC_0302.JPG

DSC_0304.JPG

We're in Allen, Tx. There's two clubs they've been to locally. One based at a local brick-n-mortar retail hobby store and the other is a international organization. The first, is geared more towards WWII ships,armor, planes and of course cars...my youngest is into biplanes so not too bad. The latter..well, lets say its very "we're out to win" type of group...which is fine, but not what the boys were looking for. Between scouts, school and building...not much time left for clubs :)

I wouldn't give up entirely on them. Never hurts to pick up tips from pros regardless of what kind of models they are building since that can be applied to his own work like for instance making armor look aged and rusted or scaling technics. Just a suggestion anyway. I'm just always so very impressed with seeing kids this age doing this level of work...he does have a gift and sounds like he has good parents. I hope you'll keep posting so we can all see the finished model.

Wow!!! Your son has a real gift!!! I wish I hadn't kept mine away from my toolbox when he was little - now he has zero interest in model-building.

Great Work ! - Frisco in the house :)

Seriously 16 I never had that much follow thru to see something that involved come together.

I wish that I had something relevant to say. That is beyond beautiful, and I hope to see full color photos when it is finished. It was mentioned that he has entered this event before? Is there a site to view previous entries?

Seriously, I wish I could come up with the words to express how stunned I am at this... and at 16? POOP, I remember (no I dont) what I was doing at 16, and it sure wasn't anything like this..... The same goes for being 51.

Color me floored.

I was a lot like your son at 16. Unfortunately for me my parents didn't care about my models. As you are lucky to have him, he is equally blessed to have you. :) I hope he wins. He HAS the technology! LOL

Hey guys, this is Jon-Luc.
Thanks for all the kind words! We put the model up in the contest room (literally last minute!!!) and my dad will get some pictures up as soon as we go back.

Thanks again!

When I was his age I was already building model airplanes & cars for about 10 years and was just getting into kitbashing/scratch building. Then one day, my father smashed up a Lamborghini Countach limo I was in the process of building as punishment for coming home late. I lost the drive to do something like that again and didn't attempt to kitbash/scratch build anything again until my Bus build 20 years later. I kept building models, but kept them out-of-box builds.

Keep supporting his gift... :)

Wow! I saw that at the show and a 16 year old made it? VERY cool.

Thanks, I'll pass it on to him.

Its his third year at Wonderfest. This all started because someone gave him a small piece of renshape 4 years ago during Sci Fi U.

Wait till you see what he's got planned for next year :) He's already drafting up his drawings....looks like its going to be smaller (thank goodness Exped ELs are expensive to rent!) and he's going to focus more on detail and technique. Should be an interesting year of building.

I saw peoples photo albums from wonderfest in other forums and I can say I saw this model in there with the rest.i think you can tell him he can be proud that it got saw and people obviously thought it good enough for photos.
:)

Been a while...getting the build notebooks ready for IPMS...looks like we're heading to Hampton Roads!

First thanks for all the kind comments...Jon-Luc had replied earlier...he's been really encouraged by ya'lls posts.

I'll be posting more pics not only of Jon-Luc's StormWalker but Jon-Pierre's Portal Gun as well. This'll probably the last in this series of photos...the boys have started their builds for next year.

A last couple of build pics and then some final "in room" photos and the model on display in the contest room. He didn't get the lights working for Wonderfest, but he attended a local contest, Eagle Quest, and I think I have some pics of the lit model from there, that I'll upload if/when I find them.

DSC_0284.JPG
DSC_0285.JPG
DSC_0335.JPG
DSC_0370.JPG
DSC_0371.JPG
DSC_0372.JPG
DSC_0373 (2).JPG

- - - Updated - - -

DSC_0373.JPG
DSC_0374.JPG
DSC_0386.JPG
DSC_0387.JPG
DSC_0388.JPG
DSC_0390.JPG
DSC_0391.JPG

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back