Graflex flash prices .......warning possible spoilers!

I said I would never do it... but got sucked in. It's not even just finding the parts, it's finding them cheap.

IF you have have a big bank account I'm sure it's a lot easier.

Funny thing is, only people here care. I show people the collection, and no matter how much I hype "real parts" half the people still pay more attention to the blasters or, of all things, the Holiday saber (I think cuz mine looks almost cartoony, and all my friends are in animation)

I have far more cash invested in that Darth 'Ugly' Vader costume than any of my real parts sabers ... and it's indeed the journey or the hunt that's part of the fun ... not the actual prop ... though holding a piece of history and knowing that Sir Alec Guinness held the same kind of cobbled up lightsaber from vintage parts so many moons ago on set is also part of the personal appeal to me :)

Chaim

I have far more cash invested in that Darth 'Ugly' Vader costume than any of my real parts sabers ... and it's indeed the journey or the hunt that's part of the fun ... not the actual prop ... though holding a piece of history and knowing that Sir Alec Guinness held the same kind of cobbled up lightsaber from vintage parts so many moons ago on set is also part of the personal appeal to me :)

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz258/Sym-Cha/swnh_1711.jpg

Chaim

I've never been one for signatures or "photo ops"... but Carrie Fisher is at Fan expo in Vancouver this year, and you can pre book a photo op... so you don't have to do the usual line... their photog takes the pic, yada yada... I'm thinking of doing it. Getting her to sign a print I'm getting done up... and now that I'm really thinking about it, I feel like I've got to drop a graflex in her hand for the pic.

Especially IF she ends up with a graflex in her hands in Ep 7....

It's kinda like a treasure hunt. I check a lot of yard sales for Graflex flashes. Haven't found one that way yet but still looking. Made a lot of sink tube Graflex sabers over the years and kinda sad I didn't keep one. But the hunt goes on.

@ NeoRutty : Carrie would love a real G R A F L E X lightsaber being in picture ... just tell her it's real parts gathered and ... don't forget to praise her dog when she's tagging him/her along ... she'll love you for it :)

Chaim

I've never been one for signatures or "photo ops"... but Carrie Fisher is at Fan expo in Vancouver this year, and you can pre book a photo op... so you don't have to do the usual line... their photog takes the pic, yada yada... I'm thinking of doing it. Getting her to sign a print I'm getting done up... and now that I'm really thinking about it, I feel like I've got to drop a graflex in her hand for the pic.

Especially IF she ends up with a graflex in her hands in Ep 7....

Blasphemy in a Star Wars thread but I think I'm going to book a photo op with Amy Pond at Fan Expo :)

Watch out for that guy on eBay who has been listing Graflexes with rather vague descriptions about their authenticity. I know at least one or two were sold with a replica clamp and possibly other rep parts added on, with no mention of this in the listing. I see that he's listed a few now and at least two of them have replica clamps as well.

Watch out for that guy on eBay who has been listing Graflexes with rather vague descriptions about their authenticity. I know at least one or two were sold with a replica clamp and possibly other rep parts added on, with no mention of this in the listing. I see that he's listed a few now and at least two of them have replica clamps as well.

That's a horrific imagination if I would fall into this trap :/ What a scumb~~ dealer...........

... and it's indeed the journey or the hunt that's part of the fun ... not the actual prop ... though holding a piece of history and knowing that Sir Alec Guinness held the same kind of cobbled up lightsaber from vintage parts so many moons ago on set is also part of the personal appeal to me :)

Lovely said Chaim. I feel kinda the same. No two rebuilts are the same...but the character holds it in nearly the same way. Building props upon the same parts as the prop-builders is also my private goal to tackle. It is also fun to manage how to get things fitting together. Tasks and following solutions.

And William Devane says to invest in gold and silver! Pfff! :lol

The top half of my ANH saber is real, but I have doubts on the bottom. I've also been looking at flea markets and garage sales with no luck yet. The problem is the Internet and all the smartphones. Now everyone knows to look stuff up before they put it up for sale.

So ... show us your bottom Jason ... ahum :$ ... I mean your G R A F L E X bottom to help identify authenticity :)

Chaim

Some time ago I had a thread about my Graflex reborn saber I bought. I was curious about the top half and weather it was Graflex or not so I put a magnet on it and it stuck! It must be steel? I know the original Graflexes were brass with nickel plating. So I tried the magnet thing with a 2 cell bottom and the magnet didn't stick. Never thought of that before.

I have a few graflex here. Only problem is that I know at least one is replica. I need to figure which is the replica.

**edit**
I just looked and looks like all 3 are real (with patent numbers), but one is a 2-cell. Need to find a real 3-cell battery tube.
i gave my replica to a friend as a gift. :)

So ... show us your bottom Jason ... ahum :$ ... I mean your G R A F L E X bottom to help identify authenticity :)

Chaim

I'll have to take a pic. I'm pretty sure it's a salt shaker. Years ago someone found some nickel plated salt shaker that you could mod with grooves to fit on it. I'm guessing that's it. If I remember correctly it has an angle into the depression on the bottom rather than a curve like a Graflex.

In the latest ebay atrocity of sellers believing they can reap ridiculous rewards for anything with the word Graflex on it, there's a small, empty box listed with a starting price of $15. An empty box....

Damn! If it was a complete flash box, I might have gotten it!

I went to an estate sale yesterday and last weekend of a professional photographer for a large corporation in a city close to where I live. Last week they had some photo equipment, mostly Heiland stuff, but the guy was a serious packrat, so they hadn't brought anything out from the attic or the crawl space (which the estate folks said were also crammed with stuff). I went back yesterday morning and there was no new photo stuff. How in the world can you be a pack rat and a photographer and not have saved any camera equipment? Must've hated his job or something.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back