MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

Yeah, we can blame Roland for that ;). I'm using his upgrade kit he sold a while back for the Matty boards.

- - - Updated - - -

Come to think of it, there is no way to put the strap under the foot pad because the foot pad is a solid cylinder that extends down into the board's innards.

I have not pulled mine apart yet. How is the strap attached?

NpaP1bw.jpg

The foot strap is hold by its 4 holes under the pad, really easy to remove but yes, you have to entirely disassemble the board to do that...

Cool. Did you keep the original velcro under the new strap?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

You can keep the old one and shorten it by the middle (cause it's way too long) then sew the pink fur over it and insert the excess into the slot.
You should be able to do it without removing everything.
I actually sew my fur on a piece of white banner then replace like the original one but had to disassemble all the board to do it.

What's the best type of glue for sticking Velcro strips to vinyl?

Thanks

Use a gel super glue, not a liquid superglue.

Not sure what is available in the UK, but here in the land of Oz, we have this pretty cheap glue called Tarzan's Grip that sticks like the name suggests. It is a clear gel and it does not pass through the material like a liquid glue will. This is especially important when gluing the loop side of velcro more so than the hook. A liquid glue turns the soft loop side into a hard plastic and no longer works.

This stuff is best used, using the "tack" method where you place glue on one or both sides, press together and pull apart for 1min (I even time this), then press back together. It fuses fast and sticks really well. The velcro on both my V3 MAGs came off the straps and I was able to glue it back down with this, no issue.

I think cavx is confusing superglue gel, which is thickened cyanoacrylate, and solvent-based contact cement. Superglue cannot usually be pulled apart and then repositioned. Solvent-based contact cements often can be repositioned after tacky but not fully cured.

Use a gel super glue, not a liquid superglue.

Not sure what is available in the UK, but here in the land of Oz, we have this pretty cheap glue called Tarzan's Grip that sticks like the name suggests. It is a clear gel and it does not pass through the material like a liquid glue will. This is especially important when gluing the loop side of velcro more so than the hook. A liquid glue turns the soft loop side into a hard plastic and no longer works.

This stuff is best used, using the "tack" method where you place glue on one or both sides, press together and pull apart for 1min (I even time this), then press back together. It fuses fast and sticks really well. The velcro on both my V3 MAGs came off the straps and I was able to glue it back down with this, no issue.

I did try super glue gel, but not the tack method. Thanks.

I think cavx is confusing superglue gel, which is thickened cyanoacrylate, and solvent-based contact cement. Superglue cannot usually be pulled apart and then repositioned. Solvent-based contact cements often can be repositioned after tacky but not fully cured.
Not 100% sure.

This is the stuff here.
e0b5a19a309d6b1ebe64d80125581d83.jpg

Not 100% sure.

This is the stuff here. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170202/e0b5a19a309d6b1ebe64d80125581d83.jpg

From: https://www.bunnings.com.au/tarzan-s-grip-30ml-general-purpose-adhesive_p1231814

"Tarzan’s Grip new [General Purpose Glue] formulation is a clear, flexible, general purpose solvent-based adhesive for household and hobby uses."

Very different from cyanoacrylate super glue gel, which does not remain flexible and cannot be re-positioned.

I agree with you. ;) But as 121Gigabytes said: There's no way to put the strap under the pad on the Matty board.

Oh but there is...:devil. It just involves taking the board apart, gluing in a 3D-printed piece of plastic to completely fill the large hole to make it level with the top board surface, and then attaching a 3.5" lazy susan with 6" aluminum footpad disc to the new plastic piece.

Which I will eventually show when I finish my HC board...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back