A Noob Hope Graflex Lightsaber Build

In an interview with Esquire, Roger Christian talks about making the first ANH Luke Lightsaber and he mentions putting chrome tape over the Graflex name. Is this new information or did I miss it elsewhere in the thread?

My Graflex is here, grips from Gino on the way. Now to find an Exactra EX-20 at a reasonable price.

As far as I know, from all the evidence collected here on the RPF and elsewhere, the metallic tape doesn't make an appearance until ESB. Christian also said in that article that he used rubber t track, but almost everyone is convinced it was a harder plastic like Gino's. I have a hard time remembering what I did last week, I can't imagine trying to tell someone how I made that one thing out of hundreds thirty-eight years ago.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Haven't seen a screencap yet, where either of the two possibilities are noticable.

On some promoshots you can read Graflex on the clamp. It would have been easy to cover the name for the promoshots, but they didn't.
star-wars-anh-luke-lightsaber-promo-1.jpg
As you can see: No tape.

Edit:
Found some screencaps, where you can see that there is no tape on the clamp.
star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-3768.jpgstar-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-3807.jpgstar-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-3817.jpg

On the last picture you can see all the details on the clamp.

Last edited:
As far as I know, from all the evidence collected here on the RPF and elsewhere, the metallic tape doesn't make an appearance until ESB. Christian also said in that article that he used rubber t track, but almost everyone is convinced it was a harder plastic like Gino's. I have a hard time remembering what I did last week, I can't imagine trying to tell someone how I made that one thing out of hundreds thirty-eight years ago.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I've spoken with Roger at length about this topic. He's an awesome guy and one of the unsung heroes that helped create the look of the universe that we all fell in love with.
I think it's completely possible that at some point they might have been experimenting with rubber and then ultimately ended up using the black plastic t-track that still remains on all the screen-used props.
But make no mistake, I can tell you 100% without a doubt the stuff ultimately used was definitely black plastic t-track.

Appreciate the build info and photos. Good job! As for the cost I guess it all starts with how much you can grab a Graflex 3 cell for. I have been watchin ebay lately, missed out on one that I bidded for for $300, the end auction ended at $535 and I missed out on another one that was Buy it now for $300, because I thought no one would bid more than $300 for the one being bidded on. The prices have seem to gone up, but still there is a Master Replica ANH SW148 on ebay for $2000, so maybe the Graflex's are going to keep going up?
[h=3][/h]

Yeah they've gone crazy this past year. When I sold all mine for under 200 and in awesome shape that was the last time I saw those prices. Insane.

Man, I just got back on here since... 8 years ago? Dang...

Anyway, broke open the old Graflex Project box to finally finish this ANH sabre. The rubber tracks had fallen off and major work to be done.

Just wanted to say howdy and will be back soon to see how things are going around here, glad to see the site still up and running!

Oh - my new web page with my OLD sabre build page can be found at:
http://flyingfatcats.com/projects/r2d2/
and click on the 'old site' link. It's all in there somewhere.

Cheers,

Chip Luck

---

Last edited:
I asked David to restore most of his 'work in progress' pictures ... and even with a busy schedule he complied ... so for those making a Luke ANH saber ... one of the best tutorial threads on the boards ... with pictures again :)

Chaim

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back