Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Clown

Cool! That thing is ugly. I wonder if the eyes are original, I don't recall them looking quite so buggy in the other photos. Interesting how they cut out or covered up the 'by Malcolm' part of the label .. maybe this was made by whoever bought the company from him.

That gorilla is hideous! I would agree, the eyes do look a little out of place. I'm thinking someone added them. They almost look as if they could be glow-in-the-dark. As mentioned, the label is a little strange, too. It's way to clean of a cut to have ripped away through damage. The new owners probably had labels remaining and just decided to use them.

That reminded me of something Mr. Malcolm told me though. He said the robots had to go through UL testing. He said they torched one of the clowns during testing.

There is a cool Pee-Wee shirt available on Amazon. It even has the clown on it!

peewee shirt.jpg

Yeah, It's a cool comic book style shirt, I saw these on EBay about a year ago, but , the seller was in New York and they wanted $50 for 'em, who's selling them now and how much?

P.S., two weeks in between posts!, anyone getting any progress done on your clown(s)?

Last edited:
I was watching American Pickers last night, and they came across a life-size animatronic mouse. It had the same base and shoes as the Custom Displays animatronics. Not sure if it was by Malcolm or someone just dressed it up in a mouse costume. There appeared to be a small plate in the middle of the base between the feet, but it was only shown for a second. Below is a pic of the mouse.

animatronic_mouse.jpg

Funny, I had a buddy telling me to watch it last night when he saw the animatronics (he said something about a clown head on a shelf too).

Any idea what episode name / number that was? I watched all the repeats later, but none had this in it.

Funny, I had a buddy telling me to watch it last night when he saw the animatronics (he said something about a clown head on a shelf too).

Any idea what episode name / number that was? I watched all the repeats later, but none had this in it.

I have no idea what the name/number was or the season, but it is the same episode where they buy the replica Yoda. There is a bunch of other Star Wars things as well. They bought the mouse for $250.

- - - Updated - - -

Just found the name of the episode, "The Empire Picks Back".

Got it! Does indeed look like the familiar astroturf base and yellow shoes. I wonder if that gorilla they looked at right before was the Custom Displays style? Never seen a good closeup to compare, but he did have lots of Planet of the Apes stuff too.

Where was that pic you posted above from? Looks like it's in their shop .. I'm going to their Nashville shop in a couple months, can't wait to poke around and see what they have.

Where was that pic you posted above from? Looks like it's in their shop .. I'm going to their Nashville shop in a couple months, can't wait to poke around and see what they have.

I googled American Pickers and animatronic mouse and it came up. I'm guessing it's on display at one of their stores.

Just bumping this thread, wondering if there is still any interest in the clowns or if everybody gave up?

I still have interest, but I have been focusing on the bike and the scooter/helmet lately. I will probably work on the helmet in the short term and revisit the clown in a couple of months. I did get some quotes back for making a vacuum form mold for the clown head, but I have not decided which way to go yet if at all.

I've got a toddler keeping me busy, he pretty much put my clown progress to a halt last year. I am really itching to get back to this soon ..

PWF - Out of curiosity, what materials would that mold be made of? I do think we should try to get a 3D drawing of the skinny neck version. I haven't seen any for sale in the black markets, I'd love to find another to open up for molding. Maybe if it's expensive to get those molds made, we could split the cost or atleast get a few made (I definitely want one that will last forever).

I've got a toddler keeping me busy, he pretty much put my clown progress to a halt last year. I am really itching to get back to this soon ..

PWF - Out of curiosity, what materials would that mold be made of? I do think we should try to get a 3D drawing of the skinny neck version. I haven't seen any for sale in the black markets, I'd love to find another to open up for molding. Maybe if it's expensive to get those molds made, we could split the cost or atleast get a few made (I definitely want one that will last forever).

The mold material is a type of thermal/polyurethane board - RenShape is a common brand name. Of the three places that responded, that's what they all recommended. The prices ranged from $1500 to $2200 per mold. I was most impressed with the company that quoted around $1800 for the front of the face and $1600 for the back. They were able to tell me where the model was slightly undercut and actually made suggestions as to added depth for proper pull and trimming. As you can imagine, I haven't been overly anxious to dole at the cash for them.

I have also been thinking about making some resin or plaster bucks from a 3D printed mold of the head - a much cheaper option.

It's been a long time since I've seen a clown for sale, but there's one in Canada on eBay currently (item 331894281543). Newer style but too expensive given the rough condition. I'm still holding out for another old style clown that I can mold the head from.

crimsonghost - Were you still looking for a clown? Just wondering, I do eventually need to sell my first clown, and I think you were close by. Send me a private message if you're still around.

It's been a long time since I've seen a clown for sale, but there's one in Canada on eBay currently (item 331894281543). Newer style but too expensive given the rough condition. I'm still holding out for another old style clown that I can mold the head from.

crimsonghost - Were you still looking for a clown? Just wondering, I do eventually need to sell my first clown, and I think you were close by. Send me a private message if you're still around.

Cool! The colors on that clown are a bit different. It is definitely trashed though. I'm guessing the nose is totally gone underneath. It's just so difficult to find them without damage.

I did get one of the head molds 3D printed. It arrived yesterday. I hope to make a plaster cast soon. It's actually more flexible than what I was expecting. Not a bad thing though. It should release from the plaster well. Since 3D printed plastics tend to be porous, I was going to use petroleum jelly as the release agent.

Got any pictures? Just curious how the printed version came out.

I still wish we could get a 3D model of my Custom Displays clown head/neck for posterity. If you're ever up for manually modifying the drawing, I can provide more measurements.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back