Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

I really hope that X-Wing is shortened for cockpit shots and that it's not the whole ship. It looks okay cockpit back, but the stubby nose is awful. So far I'm not impressed by this stuff other than the Falcon and that RM arch... :unsure

For comparison, this was the current X-Wing variant in the EU at the same time. You can't see, but the intakes have a more angular design and it has a third torpedo launcher under the other two (bump under the regular launchers). It looks a lot cooler.
View attachment 333775

I don't think it really matters all that much. Maybe it's just another variant of X-wing. Like, the X-wing mk. III or whatever. WWII fighter planes went through numerous variations during the war and beyond. The P-51B has a totally different cockpit canopy than the P-51D. The Spitfire had multiple variants as well (upwards of 9, I believe) serving different roles. Hell, the B-52 debuted in 1952 and is still in service and expected to remain in service until 2040. But while it may have certain cosmetic features similar to the original model, I doubt it's exactly the same. So, who knows. Plus, we're 35 years past Yavin, so I'd expect SOME design changes.

I wouldn't sweat it. To me, it looks like an attempt to really get back to the McQuarrie style, which I personally really enjoy. It's got that utilitarian aspect to it, but with slightly sleeker lines.

Please, practical effects revival!:thumbsup
That hog creature is just damn impressive. This movie will prove practical effects are still VERY viable and realistic over CG. This movie is going to be quite a thing to see when it comes out. Heck.. I'm just looking forward to seeing a trailer. I'll bet the look and feel of it will be much closer to the film-look of the OT than the overly polished look of the PT.

Why all the bitching about the X-Wing? This takes place 30 years later. Do you honestly think that design improvements wouldn't happen. I think some people are just being naive or just flat out bitching to bitch.

While he was terrible, I don't think it's all his fault.

I have a flick on DVD "Life as a House" that he is quite good in... and the other day my wife and I saw a few minutes of a movie he was in post Ep 2 - not sure what it was - and we both commented on how much better he was in those couple of scenes. Natural.

He was just a victim of one of the worst flicks ever.

As a former actor, I do believe he is unfairly tagged as one of the worst actors in Hollywood because of Ep2 and 3. I don't think he was as bad before or after as he was in Ep2 and 3. I also don't blame him entirely for how poor those films were, I just believe his terrible performance in those 2 films made them worse and that had the other issues in the film not been present, they still would have been bad movies. I think that was the point I was trying to make but missed in my previous posts.

As a former actor, I do believe he is unfairly tagged as one of the worst actors in Hollywood because of Ep2 and 3. I don't think he was as bad before or after as he was in Ep2 and 3. I also don't blame him entirely for how poor those films were, I just believe his terrible performance in those 2 films made them worse and that had the other issues in the film not been present, they still would have been bad movies. I think that was the point I was trying to make but missed in my previous posts.

Yeah, Hayden Christensen has some acting chops. His performance in Shattered Glass was impressive. But I think he was wrong for the part of Anakin, and I think he had a weak script and direction with which to work. Same story with Jake Lloyd. Was he a bad actor? I dunno. I never saw him in that movie with Ahnold, and I don't know what other stuff he did. But he was wrong for the role, and he was the victim of an AWFUL script. I suspect both actors did the jobs they were told to do, but what they were told to do wasn't that entertaining.

Regardless, it's ancient history now.

I'll be curious to see how the newcomers fare in their roles.

That's what /film said as well, but I see it as the exact opposite. JJ knows exactly what he's doing. Always has on all of his sets, even the controlled leaks on Lost. If anything that pic just shows some mockery with another leak of the interior of the falcon.

- - - Updated - - -

Josh Trank To Direct Stand-Alone Star Wars Film | StarWars.com

This is the worst idea since Greedo shooting first.

I had to look him up I didn't recognize the name. With that being said, I did enjoy Chronicle but don't see how he fits in the SW genre

As much as I want to "meh..." the idea of Disney Star Wars directed by JJ Abrams,
I can't help but feel a little giddy about this.
Okay, yah - I'm kind of excited.

It'd be nice to be a Star Wars fan again after all these years.
*fingers crossed*

I literally laughed out loud when I JJ Abrams' picture of his letter he wrote left on that table, hahahah! Very funny and had no doubt the pictures were a controlled leak. He knows what he's gotta do to keep people talking and engaged.

Loving seeing all this. It just all looks like a flashback to the best days of SW movie making.

I'd like to think these photos were authorized by J.J. as simple teasers designed with a purpose in mind, because as weak as I was with the prequels, I'd hate to know that something truly spoilerific might be leaked later on that I'm not quite able to resist. What I'm seeing so far definitely has my personal seal of approval.

I liked the Prequels, despite the flaws, and I think that that X-Wing, without a regular length nose, looks bad. So that says something. Give it a regular nose and it will look great.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back