Urgh! SyFy's Helix is bad…

I actually enjoyed the first few episodes. I stopped watching after the third episode though. Too many other shows in the list. Didn't have time to keep up on it

You should try catching up and finishing the season, the show really changes by the end of the season and I can tell you that it's not going to be the same show next season. They're taking a very interesting risk with this show by changing the format of the show after the first season and it should be interesting to see where they go with it.

The 10 Most (And Least) Accurate Sci-Fi Movies - Popular Mechanics

NASA Names Most Realistic and Unrealistic Sci-Fi Films of All Time - The Moviefone Blog

In my opinion, the more accurate sci fi also happens to be the better quality entertainment, at least going by the lists I've found.

While I do agree with you for the most part I also have to point out that on the list you linked to and others like it there are some movies in where they like it despite any bad science they may have had in it because the idea(s) presented in the movie were interesting. I'd say the same thing about Helix, the science may be bad but the story is very interesting in spite of it and truth be told the science is only the backdrop and not the main focus of the show.

So, anyone still watching? I have slogged through season 2 up to now, but am seriously thinking the shark has been jumped with Helix. Now, my wife and I watch just to criticize it. And, probably won't keep doing that. Characters are just acting nuts. Peter? Total psycho...like almost instantly. He goes from disgruntled brother to psycho after answering a few questions in a darkened room? Huh?

"I have a way to save the world and save your baby." May not be an exact quote, but that's close. Ugh! And the music choices are sometimes painfully awkward. Are they seriously trying to be a parody now?

So, anyone still watching? I have slogged through season 2 up to now, but am seriously thinking the shark has been jumped with Helix. Now, my wife and I watch just to criticize it. And, probably won't keep doing that. Characters are just acting nuts. Peter? Total psycho...like almost instantly. He goes from disgruntled brother to psycho after answering a few questions in a darkened room? Huh?

"I have a way to save the world and save your baby." May not be an exact quote, but that's close. Ugh! And the music choices are sometimes painfully awkward. Are they seriously trying to be a parody now?

The problem with Helix is they presented the first season as a 13-episode mini-series but about half-way through, decided to make it a series and ruined it entirely. The second season isn't any better, I had hoped it wouldn't be yet another retread of the first season but I was wrong. I don't care about any of these characters. I wish they'd all die. I'll finish out the season but it would take a miracle to get me to watch any more.

I felt worse about it after the newest episode.

SPOILERS

Peter's turn to the dark side, as I said to my wife, was as bad as Anakin's in Episode 3. He's frustrated and disgruntled. Then someone explains something to him and now he's so committed to that new path, he's instantly ready to murder. And to kill his own brother?!? And the whole gassing of the island thing. It's explained to us by the SEAL commander in detail. Designed to wipe out everything on the island and no communications out will be acknowledged. They are gassing an island with buildings, so they should have known people would be INSIDE those buildings. But, apparently, the gas can't penetrate the buildings and everyone indoors is safe. What? I know they sealed up some windows and doors, but no way they got more that a small fraction of them. And, right after it happens, the CDC guy radios out for an evac and they dutifully send along a chopper. NO ONE GETS OFF THE ISLAND, REMEMBER? :D They could have easily been infected. Was no one on the chopper armed? Would have been nice to return fire to get rid of Peter. And speaking of...

Another scene that made us crazy. CDC guy (really don't remember his name) and the recovered kid are hiding behind a door. Then they silently witness Peter murdering the kid's mom, and CDC guy just stands there. We were saying out loud, "Or, you could SAVE her!" Slam Peter with the door, punch him out and the three of you escape. But no, there's nothing I could have done to save your mom, kid.

And the whole test tube baby thing, too much. :D

Another scene that made us crazy. CDC guy (really don't remember his name) and the recovered kid are hiding behind a door. Then they silently witness Peter murdering the kid's mom, and CDC guy just stands there. We were saying out loud, "Or, you could SAVE her!" Slam Peter with the door, punch him out and the three of you escape. But no, there's nothing I could have done to save your mom, kid.

Slamming the door into Peter wouldn't have worked. It would have stopped him from choking the mom to death, yes, but all it would have done is allowed Peter to call out to the others who were currently looking for them (you remember that mob of them that is currently looking for the CDC so they could use them as a bargaining chip and then kill them after they got the Navy to back off? You know, the ones armed with knives and axes? That group?), thus a whole gang of them would have swooped in and captured him (which is the opposite of what he wanted).

Yeah, I know they were around, but they had moved out of the immediate area and there were maybe 5-6 of them total. He could have knocked peter out, or captured him. Used his as a bargaining chip to disarm the others. I don't know. Just seemed like there could have been a dozen different ways to act in that situation besides cowering and silent.

Yeah, I know they were around, but they had moved out of the immediate area and there were maybe 5-6 of them total. He could have knocked peter out, or captured him. Used his as a bargaining chip to disarm the others. I don't know. Just seemed like there could have been a dozen different ways to act in that situation besides cowering and silent.

Yeah, that sounds way too risky in comparison to allowing the mother to die. That's not being cold-hearted, the situation was more of a "needs of the many greater than the needs of the few or one" kind of situation. Besides, there's nothing saying that they'd listen to you if you had Peter as a bargaining chip. Do we even know if the others accepted Peter as their new leader yet (we haven't seen any scenes in the episode that backed up that detail)? I mean, they were following that psycho brunette that he hooked up with, the one that was the second in command to Michael. So, by even attempting to help the mother, you'd be risking the only advantage you have, which is that no one knew you were in there.

I'm not saying that your idea wouldn't work, I'm saying that there are a lot of factors to take into account before such a move could be made the risk and the loss of the advantage that they didn't know where he was.

I felt worse about it after the newest episode.

SPOILERS

Peter's turn to the dark side, as I said to my wife, was as bad as Anakin's in Episode 3. He's frustrated and disgruntled. Then someone explains something to him and now he's so committed to that new path, he's instantly ready to murder. And to kill his own brother?!? And the whole gassing of the island thing. It's explained to us by the SEAL commander in detail. Designed to wipe out everything on the island and no communications out will be acknowledged. They are gassing an island with buildings, so they should have known people would be INSIDE those buildings. But, apparently, the gas can't penetrate the buildings and everyone indoors is safe. What? I know they sealed up some windows and doors, but no way they got more that a small fraction of them. And, right after it happens, the CDC guy radios out for an evac and they dutifully send along a chopper. NO ONE GETS OFF THE ISLAND, REMEMBER? :D They could have easily been infected. Was no one on the chopper armed? Would have been nice to return fire to get rid of Peter. And speaking of...

And the whole test tube baby thing, too much. :D

I thought the gassing the island thing was the most ill-thought out thing there was. Sure, it will kill everything, except anyone inside of the buildings, in the caves, etc. Since the worry was the infected people, it was a totally useless effort. Plus, in the last episode, where they call in the helicopter to escape the island, did nobody think of landing? Or bringing any weapons? Peter with a machine gun drove them away? How idiotic. I mean it is bad enough that the "kill everything" order was ignored, but they can't even do a rescue right. Seriously, if they wanted to kill everything on the island, they have a pile of warships out at sea, just blast the island to dust. But that makes sense, Helix can't do that! :facepalm

jheilman: I admire your stamina to keep watching this… this… turd! Or better: you get apparently Mousse au Chocolate served, but it's nothing more than creamed **** and you taste it, swallow it, even you know it tastes horrible. The best is: you're eating the bowl c-l-e-a-n. I couldn't do that…

Not surprised that 1) scifi made a turd of tv show and 2) instead of trying to improve it they cancel it. They'll replace it with some white trash show involving ghosts or something like history channel does now.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back