Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

IMO, at the time they knew he was WORKING TOWARD
designing a super weapon. I think that were just thinking if we have this chance to kill him that would stall the process.

It seemed like they were doing both. The point where it opens must usually be a weak spot but that is conjecture.

Yeah not saying ether of these is not true to life at all , I would just suck if he did kill galen get back to base the debriefing would be.

Senator Mothma " where is galen? you weren't successful ?

Cassian " no I killed him , job done ! "

SM " WHAT ? , what about the weapon ?
What is it ?"

C " I don't know I just popped him from like 50 yards away and broke also had to kill Jyn she went nuts . "
SM " Sooooo we know nothing ? If there is a weapon , if there is not , what is it ? Where is it?
" Ahh oh well ."
"Good job I guess"

Again not saying we don't do things that make less sense in real life everyday lol.
So its not like any of this ruined the movie or anything .

And Vader was great !

What tho dude can't knock ? Walked right in on Vader taking a bath . lol

I was hoping Vader would cal the dude back in

" hand me my rubber wookie "

People zip around the galaxy way too quick, which is a recurring problem with SW movies made since the OT.

I have to second that...it bugs me when ever I watch a newer movie. There never is a real time line, you never know how much time goes by between events. TFA is particulary bad there. How much time passes between Rey finding BB-8 and the final battle...a day, maybe only hours, a week? She always wears the same clothes in the same way (same in R1) and you get the feeling it's all in real time almost...which it clearly is not. Some in-between scenes that would give me a feeling of time passing woud be soo nice...

cheers
Uwe

The end was exactly what I hoped for, Tantive IV jumped to light speed, I drove home, put on ANH and by that time the destroyer had caught them up.

:) I was hoping for that to happen and was so glad they did it...if it hadn't been 03:15AM when we got home I would have put in ANH as well...Once the DVD/BR comes out I plan on cutting the two together to one movie just for fun!

cheers
Uwe

:) I was hoping for that to happen and was so glad they did it...if it hadn't been 03:15AM when we got home I would have put in ANH as well...Once the DVD/BR comes out I plan on cutting the two together to one movie just for fun!

cheers
Uwe

Yeah, it was 03:15 but I was too buzzed to sleep and up at 05::45 anyway. Plus, I wanted to know what happened next ;)

Last edited:
LOVED this movie!! Best movie since ESB. Not sure about the naysayers or what it's gonna take to get folks off the bench and back into the game......this movie had everything that a Star Wars movie hasn't had in over 36 years!!

Saw it this morning and seeing it again tonight....who knows how many more times!

Very disappointed that once again, they missed the perfect opportunity to take us to Alderaan and give us some reason to care about its demise. Like in the PT when Naboo wasnt Alderaan. Even one scene: Bail Organa returns home to give his daughter the mission to locate Kenobi, as stated in the movie.
Also the droid's should've been walking a corridor on TantiveIV (with duct tape over Anthony Daniels mouth) not at the base on Yavin

...also, what / where / who is this "ghost" folks keep mentioning with an asterisk ? Thought I caught most, but obviously not all easter eggs.

The Ghost is the ship from Rebels cartoon piloted by Captain Hera Syndulla. It can be seen in several shots of the rebel fleet and I may have even heard Syndulla over the comms

The Ghost is the ship from Rebels cartoon piloted by Captain Hera Syndulla. It can be seen in several shots of the rebel fleet and I may have even heard Syndulla over the comms

Yep, at the Yavin base someone is calling for 'General Syndulla' over the speakers. Guess Hera gets a promotion soon?

...also, what / where / who is this "ghost" folks keep
mentioning with an asterisk ? Thought I caught most, but obviously not all easter eggs.

Its the ship from the rebals cartoon show .
It or the same class ship was seen in the trailer with the group that showed up at the last battle

Ahh answered the phone and someone else answered first
Lol

OK Tarkin just saw a thing about how the shoes hurt his feet so he only wore them in the shots where thery would be seen.
Could not help but think it still rings true if you could not see his shoes in a shot in this movei he did not have them on either cuz they don't exist.

Last edited:
So after seeing the film for a second time I feel I can write a good review.

First things first, the story. The first time I saw it I agreed with some of you, the beginning felt a little rushed with the jump cutting to different planets, however upon second viewing it didn't bother me as much. It only lasted a few minutes and gave way to the main story fairly quickly. After that little bit of jumpy, it felt like a solid build up of pace, slowly increasing until the big final showdown. This movie definitely requires a second viewing to catch everything, especially with the radio bit at the end. I was confused as to what was going on the first time, but this time it made far more sense as I was able to pay more attention to what exactly was said. To me it seems like small transmissions, like radio, could get through the shield, but large data-files could not.
I thought Jyn's transition was fine, her already being something of a freedom fighter as it was helped. To me is was basically her turning her back for survival, but when presented with a worthy purpose she couldn't help but get involved. I thought is was nice to see a darker side of the Rebellion in the form of Cassian Andor. When he shot that rebel informant I was shocked, and when he refused to kill Galen Erso was a nice bit of development. He seemed like a war weary vet, doing what he feels necessary regardless of how he feels about it. Chirrut and Baze have some of my favorite moments in the film, and I feel that they were a nice way to bring the force into the film. He didn't need to use it, just let it guide him, and Baze finally coming around at the end was a nice moment. K-2SO stole the show, he was a terrific, the perfect comic relief for this type of movie. Overall I feel that the story was solid and fits perfectly within the established canon, while it definietly had a few things that you could make sense of on futher viewings. definitely in my top 3 Star Wars story wise.

now for the technical stuff.
The score was... okay. Yeah, okay is the best way to describe it. I won't be too terribly critical of the score since the composer did have to bang it out in 4 weeks. It had a few too many modern action movie music tropes in it, like when there is a moment of suspense it dissolves into repeating, increasing pace, base tones, where as Williams would have probably made something more dynamic. But it wasn't the worst score I've ever heard.
The camera work was very nice, classic at time, "documentary" war movie style at others. Thankfully no overuse of shaky cam as many war films do now-a-days.
Visual effects were absolutely stunning! Many of the ships looked as good as the models did in the OT, I am convinced that it was all in the lighting and the fact that things seemed less reflective than typical CGI (unless they actually decided to use models in some shots, which would surprise the heck out of me). K-2SO was equally impressive, I can honestly say that I NEVER questioned his existence on screen, probably the best Mo-Cap/CGI character I've ever seen, and Alan Tudyk's performance was terrific. I was very impressed with Tarkin, and more-so with Leia. Tarkin's facial movements were dodgy at times, but overall I was impressed (don't get the whole creepy thing some are saying, but that is just me). The practical effects are just as impressive, all the creatures were great, as well as the sets.

All the cameos were just right. Vader was used just enough and in all the right ways, as was Tarkin. I loved seeing Red and Gold Leaders, if anything that part made me smile the most.
If you couldn't tell, I really liked this movie, and even more so the second time around. It is exactly what I was hoping for with Rogue One

So did Tarkin blow up that entire base full of imperials just to kill his rival for controller of the death star?

No,....to kill all the Rebels that were infesting the base who knows what other data they would steal,....did he know the transmission had been sent yet at that stage?,....need to see it again

I hope they had back-ups of all that data they had stored there

J

I am speechless and exhausted. Thrilling, brutal, emotional, and very much Star Wars and yet not and that an accomplishment in and of its self. Beautiful looking film. I liked the score, had some strong call backs to TFA and Across the Stars in spots. I found the Tarken entirely convincing. Krennic was terrific, not so much evil as suffering from naked ambition and a massive inferiority complex and petulant, a really unique adversary for a SW film. Same with Cassien, terrific performance combined with a morally compromised character. Jyn was a terrific combo of strength and self preservation. Whereas Rey was wide eyed with wonder to join the greater galaxy and adventure Jyn has already seen too much. Baz and Chirriut's relationship was rich and their end brought tears to my eyes. Same with Bodi and I'm glad they made an effort with the reshoits to expand his character.

Saw was was a bit under developed but I applaud the effort to make him literally the rebellions version of Darth Vader. He was menacing for a "good guy". The brain monster was meh. Vader was good, not great for me. He didn't seem as threatening or scary in his initial scene compared to when he walks in at the start of ANH. I am astounded they all perished, I was feeling certain at least Jyn would survive for inclusion in ancillary material. R2 and 3PO I could have done without.

So excited to see it again!

Last edited:
SPOILERS AHEAD.....

I think for Tarkin there was maybe a bit too much blinking. There were times it was scarily real and other times a bit distracting, but I think they mostly got him down.

The Darth Vader stuff.... I couldn't believe they showed Vader's Mustafar temple! I had only seen concept sketches of it and when that popped up I was in disbelief until they showed Vader. I think the scene with him talking to Krennic... something looked off with Vader I couldn't pinpoint it, but maybe because of all the colors of the inside area they were talking in threw off some of those colors of his costume. It was just a little odd. The stuff near the end was awesome.

Hearing the musical score, it definitely reaffirmed that anyone who takes over the Star Wars score in the future has some VERY big shoes to fill for Williams. Such a big part of these films are the music score and it definitely wasn't the strongest score, but it held up well on its own and was nice. Whether or not I could independently listen to it repeatedly like I do the other film scores remains to be seen, but I did pre-order the soundtrack and have it in my car. There's strong sides to it, but on the other hand some generic parts that aren't as memorable as a Williams score's dynamics take it.

K2SO agreed stole the show. I REALLY loved this character.

The last 10 minutes got pretty choked up and the way Leia was put in was exactly what I was hoping in how Episode 3 would have ended and just LOVED that so much. My timeline preference of Epoisodes 1-3 were far different in hopes than the way they were brought to the screen, but glad there was this nice pre-ANH story to be told.

I have to say I was a bit bummed by the Death Troopers. STUNNING costumes, but the amount of marketing put into highlighting them didn't quite meet my expectations as to how much more skilled they appeared to be over Stormtroopers. Don't get me wrong, I would NOT want one of those guys searching for me, but the fact you couldn't even make out anything they were communicating... and they had some cool weapons, but just felt a little like an over-glorified Stormtrooper with a fancy new look. I wish there was a bit more bad-a$$ery to them, but they were cool to look at. Not enough to go run out and buy an Anovos DT helmet, but cool.

The inclusion of the rebel squadron Red group from the Death Star attack run in ANH blew my mind. That was so cool that they did that!

Probably my favorite line: "Are you kidding me? I'm blind!" So unexpected and bursted out laughing!

In the midst of being a dark film it managed to keep a good level of upbeat moments. I wouldn't say this film was just so horribly dark and gritty as critics are saying. It's certainly not a happy story and NO ONE should expect this, but it was great.

I don't know where i'd place this one in my list of films from 1-8. I need to think about that. I look forward to seeing it again!

You know what. I'll go ahead and say it...best standalone Star Wars movie ever!! :). No wait....Battle for Endor was pretty sweet too.

The Tarkin/Kremnic dynamic could have been filled out a bit more. In Catalyst you see how Kremnic schemed and thought he was going to be in charge of the Death Star. He spent a lot of time with Mas Amedda courting the Emperor's favor. He was given promotions that he thought weren't high enough and even a demotion.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back